New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024866 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #5400 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:52 PM »
??? You would catch more fish. Bigger fish. I like slot limits. They work. Yes, the down side is you can’t take as many home as you use to.

a  slot  limit on blue  gills????? are you  stoned???   lets  see  1 inch  to  6 a  keeper   6 to  7 release  7  overkeep   :cookoo: please tell me  your  joking
and  i assure  you i  fish otisco  year round   you will  catch  1000's  of  6 inch  gills  and  very very  few  7's  any one thats  fished it will tell you that

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5401 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Well a year or 2 with 5 fish limit will help with the eye population , plus boost local economy
Did this get passed never heard for sure,,,,, also I dont think we had the harvest numbers 30yrs ago as we do now, theres way better equipment elctronics and lake mapping, I can recall before gps and lake maps that i had a number of areas that never got much pressure because people either couldnt find them or didnt know they were there...

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5402 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:00 PM »
Trap you think the 6in fish are from over populations or do the 7 inch plus fish get harvested quick as soon as they are big enough,,,,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5403 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:05 PM »
you really  can't  compare   Oneida  to years ago it's a  put and  take  fishery  and  a lot  depends  on year  class  coming out of that hatchery now  look at the   new  species   zebras  sturgeon   and  the recent  white  perch  explosion which  has  settled  down  all  factors add to that  it has  had  great management .....i think  your  doing  better today  simple  because  it's a  better lake  with a lot more  walleyes

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5404 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Trap you think the 6in fish are from over populations or do the 7 inch plus fish get harvested quick as soon as they are big enough,,,,

i think the  6 inch  fish  in the  numbers  we  see  are  from over population ...... another thing  is the  environment  and the  strain  a  7 inch  blue  gill from the  river  will  weight more then a  7 inch  blue  gill  from  sandy  pond....all limits on panfish   is  going to  do is  impact  bait  shops and  sporting good stores  and  limit the  time  someone will be  fishing....there is no shortages of blue  gills  and  i assure  you  100  bluegill fillets  don't last long  at my  house... i think this  is  just  a  (lack of words)  stupid  idea  some   one that  doesn't  even  fish  these waters   came  up  with after  reading to many  books  during the pandemic...it's  effected  their minds.........where talking  bluegills  smh..... and  i'll tell you something else when i was a  kid  no one  even wanted  strawberry bass  (crappies)  people  started  fishing  for  them  then  selling them they  did the same thing  what do you fisherman want  it  went to  a  25 limit  then  8 inch size  later  9  what did this all  accompish?  a whole lot less crappie  fisherman and  a  economic  lose   t0  bait shops  .... and  now you  can  go to  fulton and  drive  100 miles to  black lake  and  get a limit of  9 to 10  crappies ....what a  waste

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5405 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:27 PM »
go  fish the  lake  in fulton or  black lake and  see how many shorts you get......where  30 years  ago  we  hammered  slobs    now  you hammer 8 inch fish

I hear that the perch in Black Lake are dinks too?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5406 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:33 PM »
it's  good  because  often it's  early ice , gills  can  be ok   i never  did many  big perch that i can remember .....

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5407 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:40 PM »
agree never heard much about crappies 30yrs ago .....  oneida has gone threw alot of changes, i will say this and maybe its just "remembering when" but back before lake maps gps i would line the tree wit the tower etc find the spot and not many people would now why i was fishing that area, and even if they did was likely they could find it again, seems like you had to put a lil more time an effort back then, and the minority of guys had the knowledge.....

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5408 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:54 PM »
agree never heard much about crappies 30yrs ago .....  oneida has gone threw alot of changes, i will say this and maybe its just "remembering when" but back before lake maps gps i would line the tree wit the tower etc find the spot and not many people would now why i was fishing that area, and even if they did was likely they could find it again, seems like you had to put a lil more time an effort back then, and the minority of guys had the knowledge.....

Still the same way I find the honey hole partner will punch it in his GPS we get to the spot I tell him no 20 more feet this way 15 this way and damn do I find the shelf I'm looking for
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5409 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:28 PM »
Did this get passed never heard for sure,,,,, also I dont think we had the harvest numbers 30yrs ago as we do now, theres way better equipment elctronics and lake mapping, I can recall before gps and lake maps that i had a number of areas that never got much pressure because people either couldnt find them or didnt know they were there...
It looks promising far as a limit change
 I fished Back in those days , fishing was good from boat and ice
 There is an old lake map that is great I own several that’s how we found our way around
   Back then

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5410 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Dont know if its going to hold up with the wind they got predicted but starting around wednesday cold temp so theres hope...... Just curious whats people thoughts on slot limit say 15 to 18in keeper size

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #5411 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:53 AM »
Dont know if its going to hold up with the wind they got predicted but starting around wednesday cold temp so theres hope...... Just curious whats people thoughts on slot limit say 15 to 18in keeper size
In my opinion the walleye fishery on Oneida needs to be opened up. Move the limit to 5 or 6 say but up the min size from 15” to 16/16.5”.
That’s a strong fishery. My 2cents.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5412 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:04 PM »
5 eyes  for a  year and see what happens ....... slot  from  15  to 22  keeper ...... fred that would work  for  mw  what  do you say ;D

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5413 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Better wait on changing anything until we see if they continue to rape the lake by not returning any fry. Once done and its easier the second time.  I’ve heard several times that Oneida gets hers first and then adjust the other stockings.  So much for that.  None put back last year.. Save $$$ And don’t place a net this year....

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5414 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:04 PM »
Better wait on changing anything until we see if they continue to rape the lake by not returning any fry. Once done and its easier the second time.  I’ve heard several times that Oneida gets hers first and then adjust the other stockings.  So much for that.  None put back last year.. Save $$$ And don’t place a net this year....

I agree if the hatchery on any specific lake they should get fry first
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5415 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:07 PM »
 Million adult eyes and let’s consider all the 13-14” fish that will be of size and then counted , and let’s add in years of natural spawn , nobody is saying leave the 5 fish rule forever , I’m sure Cornell and DEC will keep a close eye on things , I’m sure they don’t want to lose their cash cow , which normal years it generates between 15-20 million a year, we shall see

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5416 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:18 PM »
Any regulation change will be in 2022. 5 eyes is a good probability.

Cornell found that the health of the walleyes this fall was poor. I think it was the worst since the 60s. The main factor was the lack of shad this summer for food. The perch on the other hand were very healthy mainly because they are still gorging on gobies.

Offline eatme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5417 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:31 PM »
Perch used to be the main forage for walleyes before shad invasion

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5418 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:04 PM »
Any regulation change will be in 2022. 5 eyes is a good probability.

Cornell found that the health of the walleyes this fall was poor. I think it was the worst since the 60s. The main factor was the lack of shad this summer for food. The perch on the other hand were very healthy mainly because they are still gorging on gobies.

This is interesting. What's keeping the eyes from feeding on the gobies? I feel like burbot and wallys would feast on them more so than perch. I remember this summer I was jigging out of my kayak with a soft plastic that resembled a goby and I couldn't keep the drum off it.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5419 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:07 PM »
How's the ice off Lewis Point?

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5420 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:57 PM »
ive found that everything  eats the gobies,,,,,walleyes to sheepheads

Offline jhl4661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5421 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Strange.   Eyes on Erie gorge on gobies constantly.   Puke them up in the livewell even in 50 fow plus

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5422 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:21 PM »
ive found that everything  eats the gobies,,,,,walleyes to sheepheads
I’ve found very few eyes with gobies in their bellies , that’s hard and soft water , ones that had bait had perch ,buckeyes ,a few with banded kill fish , bullhead fry ,  perch I've cleaned lots with gobies in them ,

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5423 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:21 PM »
oh the eyes eat gobies on onieda but they gorge on the shad when theres big bait balls ,,, in normal fall theres millions of shad and walleyes feast on them did not see that this year

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5424 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:42 PM »
 walleyes  around  here are smarter   ::)
   they wont eat those nasty gobies
snowsnake

Offline eatme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5425 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:43 PM »
First time in years walleye bellies were full of perch a lot of times. Came A crossed huge balls of perch minnows like I haven’t seen in forever

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5426 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:51 PM »
I’ve found very few eyes with gobies in their bellies , that’s hard and soft water , ones that had bait had perch ,buckeyes ,a few with banded kill fish , bullhead fry ,  perch I've cleaned lots with gobies in them ,

Agreed. I have only had eyes puke up gobies in my live well 1 time.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5427 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:14 PM »
I’ve only cleaned 1 walleye that had a goby in it. The perch are a different story.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5428 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:43 AM »
If you see the shad population falling off, you will also see the walleye population drop off in the years following. Walleye in Oneida follow the shad cycle.

Offline Timmydann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5429 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:12 AM »
go  fish the  lake  in fulton or  black lake and  see how many shorts you get......where  30 years  ago  we  hammered  slobs    now  you hammer 8 inch fish
if you are having trouble catching crappie over 8" your doing some thing wrong, I've lived in Fulton for almost 50 years and I fish the lake every year and I get alot of 12 to 14 inch fish and some that are larger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.