Author Topic: Temporary Closure  (Read 4085 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Temporary Closure
« on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:29 PM »
I know a lot of you could care less about Dick's Sporting Goods, but I just got notification that all of their stores are temporarily closed for 2 weeks due to the COVID 19

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Temporary Closure
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:08 PM »
You’re right...I couldn’t care less about Dick’s, but thanks anyway!  ;D
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:23 PM »
good to know I have another reason to not shop there ::)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2020, 09:12 PM »
I'm not one to wish ill will on anyone however in light of the way Dick's has chosen to side with the anti-second amendment clan maybe Karma will use this to be one of the final nails in Dick's coffin.  Last year their decision to stop selling certain guns cost them a boat load of money and now they're taking that to the next level with stopping selling any guns so if they go out of business it won't bother me in the least. 

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:11 PM »
I wonder how surprised their corporate office is going to be when their numbers are exactly the same when they reopen?...

I stopped going to Dick’s when I had to have the fishing department manager go get a Sienna 500 from the back during peak ice fishing season. He comes back and says “That’s a pretty small reel. Why would you want to use a reel that small?”... That was 3 years ago. And they don’t carry shoes in my size. Nobody does :(
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2020, 04:57 AM »
I'll mail order first

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:23 AM »
Yeah it is pretty much impossible to find a nationwide sporting goods store now.
Dicks went anti second amendment so I no longer darken their door.
And Jonny Morris wrecked Cabela's by buying them and implementing Bass Proshop customer service (the worst in the world) so they don't get any of my money anymore.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:52 AM »

I rarely step through their doors(Dicks) not a fan  , besides I have a runnings just down the street from them
 Far as the Bass Pro I occasionally stop at has a good staff , plus I have in my small town , 3 mom and pops stores which I frequent

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:12 PM »
I wish they would close for good....

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:05 AM »
too bad lots of lost jobs,i don't shop there any longer but you got to feel for those who work there

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:54 AM »
I don't feel sorry for Dicks sporting goods, any company that doesn't support the constitution doesn't get my business. I do feel sorry for their employees.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2020, 08:31 AM »
agree with most of you.  good!

another one that should go away is the coffee joint that doesn't support out troops. s b

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Yep since their anti gun stance and now taking all hunting equipment away why would any sportsman support them? Won’t set foot in there.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2020, 12:14 PM »
The interesting funny thing about the Dick's store here is it shares the same space as Field and Stream, they're in the same box and not divided so if one closes odds are the other will to.  Field and Stream isn't much better than Dick's.  Their selection sucks and so does their prices.  As for the employees they're both brain dead at both.  The sad thing is the mall kicked out Sears, ripped down that part of the building and rebuilt it to accommodate Dick's and Field and Stream and the beautiful part is the mall will gain even more empty space.  If I had a choice I'd rather Sears still be there, at least they had some decent stuff and their prices weren't too bad.  When Dick's and Field and Stream go under it won't affect me in the least bit so I don't see it as even a tiny loss.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2020, 04:12 PM »
I got some awesome deals from DSG and F&S...and some great customer service too. Mostly ice gear and turkey gear ..they have been getting less and less of my yearly business based on inventory selection/lack thereof .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jtc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Hmm. I don’t shop at Dicks often. I have got some good deals in the past, there seams to be a lot of negative talk going on here. However, it seems to me that if they go out of business it hurts all sportsmen with fewer choices. Just my two cents.
The world would be better if we all took a 6 month fishing trip twice a year.

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2020, 05:45 PM »
I know a lot of you could care less about Dick's Sporting Goods, but I just got notification that all of their stores are temporarily closed for 2 weeks due to the COVID 19
DICK'S  ;D

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Dick's is a classic case of trying to be too many things to too many people. These days, that business model is not an effective way to remain profitable. They sell $ 475 baseball bats, $ 200 running shoes and other foofy, high priced items to affluent yuppies, while also pretending to be a supplier of fishing and hunting equipment. The big box yuppie feel to their stores is a turnoff to outdoorsmen so they should abandon that altogether and just try harder to get the yuppie dollars

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:22 AM »
I presume closing stores will throw a bunch of Americans out of work.  That is not good, whatever you think of Dicks. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2020, 04:28 PM »
fishnnut, what is your definition of a "sportsman"? Is a person who only fishes and does not hunt, NOT a sportsman? How about a person who fishes, enjoys hiking and running, playing sports? Why shouldn't they shop there? Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. a retailer has a right to carry whatever products they want. Just as you have a right to engage in any legal sport that you want. What if they never carried firearms and hunting gear?

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2020, 05:56 PM »
Well RD I guess you are entitled to your opinion and me mine. Dicks has chosen to not carry firearms and now I understand all hunting equipment. So I chose to do business elsewhere. My dad happened to be on the beaches in Normandy in WW11 to fight for your and my freedoms to do and say as you please. I guess I just happen to appreciate it maybe a little more than you. Have a good day.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:11 PM »
I am a gun owner and a hunter, but my love for the sport does not blind me to the point that i can deny the rights of others. I thank your father for his service and bravery. My father also fought in Europe in WWII, so I DO appreciate our freedoms and it is because of men and women like them that we have these freedoms. Agree to disagree. We are most likely not that different. just the way we see certain things. Peace!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:28 PM »
I dont agree with Dicks stance on firearms and supporting our troops.
But it sucks that they're employees are out of work.
A lot of employees......
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:00 PM »
heard that even tho they are temporarily closed, the employees are still getting paid. That's only what I heard

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:19 PM »
The interesting funny thing about the Dick's store here is it shares the same space as Field and Stream, they're in the same box and not divided so if one closes odds are the other will to.  Field and Stream isn't much better than Dick's.  Their selection sucks and so does their prices.  As for the employees they're both brain dead at both.  The sad thing is the mall kicked out Sears, ripped down that part of the building and rebuilt it to accommodate Dick's and Field and Stream and the beautiful part is the mall will gain even more empty space.  If I had a choice I'd rather Sears still be there, at least they had some decent stuff and their prices weren't too bad.  When Dick's and Field and Stream go under it won't affect me in the least bit so I don't see it as even a tiny loss.

Funny there where across the street from each other here and field and stream went out and a sportsman warehouse took over. My favorite was galyans and gander mountain but both went out of business here
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2020, 06:21 AM »

I to liked Galyans use to stop on our way home from Strong Memorial after our yearly check up , glad it wasn’t closer could have been pretty costly lol

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:36 AM »
I to liked Galyans use to stop on our way home from Strong Memorial after our yearly check up , glad it wasn’t closer could have been pretty costly lol

Yes I'm glad it was 30 minutes from me as well. Cause I could drop a pay check in there
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2020, 10:49 AM »
doesn't make me sad at all..i went into the one here in aurora Colorado a couple weeks ago to buy a new license.. well i had to wait in line as they were already selling one to someone and when he finished he asked me to give him a second as he needed to run to the back and i said no problem i'll wait right here..well like 10 minutes went by and the cashier asked me if i had been helped so i told her the situation and she called someone.. so a minute later a manager i'm assuming came up like he was leaving and answered a phone and then another guy came up and the first guy said "you've got fed ex waiting in the back" adn then the second guy looked at me and said are "you the guy wanting the license?" i said i was, then he tells me that their system has been down all day.. i told him that i was waiting in line when the guy right before me bought one to which he just replied "have a good day sir".. i just looked at him and told him that his lying like that just lost them yet another customer.. not that he cared 'm sure..pretty crappy of them tho..

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Think galyans only lasted a few years here in Michigan.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2020, 12:48 PM »
I try to stick to the smaller mom n pop shops e.g. hicks eds franks... If i go to a bigger store i try to make it northwoods..
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.