Author Topic: Earthquake-  (Read 1347 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Earthquake-
« on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:05 AM »
I was going to go shelter in place on closest frozen lake, but now we are having earthquakes! Anybody ever experience an earthquake while ice fishing?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Earthquake-
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:39 AM »
Not ice fishing, but I was fishing a lake off the coast of Oregon, must have been a shift. Wind was calm I looked up and watched about an eight inch wave that went from shore to shore from one side of the lake to the other completely inundated the dock I was standing on. One of the coolest things I have ever seen!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Haven't been on the ice when it the earthquake hit but was on the next day.  Some pretty good pressure ridges left over.  Different feeling sitting at my desk at work this morning when this one hit.  Buildings were evacuated and everyone sent home.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Yup, not fun.

I was still sleeping, glad I was not on the ice or going up a major canyon.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Lindy Rig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Not ice-fishing but chukar hunting.  Heard it before I felt it. A lot of rocks on the highway on the drive home.
Ice fishing would be spookier.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Anybody ever experience an earthquake while ice fishing?

We were on the ice late this January when we got some inquiries on the phone asking if we had felt the earthquake.  Turned out to be like a 2.4 magnitude about 150 miles away, but the question sure got our attention!  Reading elsewhere after that, it seems like the edge is the bad place to be when one hits.

For some reason the earthquake thought bothers me more when I'm sleeping on the ice.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:16 PM »
It wasn’t an earthquake, but I was on a reservoir on solid ice when the entire ice plate shifted. It sounded like a sonic boom, and the ice moved up and down about 6”! My fishing buddy had gone to the John and missed the whole event...but he wondered why I looked so pale when he got back! Lol
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:20 PM »
It wasn’t an earthquake, but I was on a reservoir on solid ice when the entire ice plate shifted. It sounded like a sonic boom, and the ice moved up and down about 6”! My fishing buddy had gone to the John and missed the whole event...but he wondered why I looked so pale when he got back! Lol
Lol, had that happen at night once, pretty spooky feeling.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2020, 09:46 PM »
Looks like you guys had about a 5.7, that’s just about big enough to shake my house.  I’ve been on the ice during a quake and it was kind of weird.  My buddy and I were sitting on buckets and felt it shake a little but my other two buddies standing a few feet away never felt it.  It was a small quake only about 3.8 or 4.0 so it wasn’t all that spectacular.  I heard a story about a quake back in the 90’s were guys could see a 2 foot wave shoot across the ice.  It shot water out of peoples holes 3ft in the air and flooded the ice in some places.  Peoples trucks rolled up and over the wave like they were boats on water and when it hit the shore it cracked the ice and shot water like a reverse waterfall.  I believe there was over 3ft of ice at the time so it never broke apart and people were able to drive off safely.  I don’t worry about earthquakes on the ice, I’ve seen what they can do to ice first hand so I know I’m safe even on thin ice.  What’s really cool is the methane pockets and air pockets you get to drill through, if you find a real good one they will burn awesome.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I was on Flaming Gorge about 5 years ago had an earthquake. My wife was with me. Made a wave of the ice which caused it to crack all around us, then a vehicle size boulder fell from a cliff about 500 yards away and went through the ice. Wife said "F this, get me off of here!" "NOW!" We called it a day. Went back the next day and within about 30 minutes the "demon's" started talking inside her head and she said she was done! I asked done with the trip? Nope, done ice fishing! She has not been since. She explains her biggest fear is drowning in cold water.

I thought it was kind of cool. :-\ It's too bad we had a lot of fun running all over the place.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Yes 5.7 shook everything for miles around epicenter.  The 4.6 aftershock rocked our house so hard that we thought it was going to collapse on us.  We ran outside.  Cars, trucks, trees, and everything swaying. Scary stuff! We move stuff around in our shed and put up tent inside. Cot, air matress, heater, snacks and water in case of big aftershocks continued or if "the big one" might hit. There were many aftershocks, but they were small and we decided to sleep in the house. There were 80 aftershocks reported when we went to bec. I hope we never experience that again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.