Author Topic: Rod/Reel assortment setup-matching  (Read 1141 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Rod/Reel assortment setup-matching
« on: Mar 18, 2020, 09:00 AM »
With the current events of the world unfolding I have more time available to do some things at home.  One of my projects was to organize my ice gear and setup my combos for next year.  I have put together the combos below and plan to use them for the fishing style/techniques listed.  I've also listed some of my "extra stock".  I'm curious to hear thoughts on any changes recommended, and why. 

1. Custom 30" noodle rod, Okuma baitfeeder reel:  use for deadstick
2. No.13 fishing 25" Snitch rod, freefall reel:  light jigs, panfish
3. JM Dead Meat 36", freefall reel:  walk around or fish from truck jigging
4. Custom 32" carbon rod Med action, sienna reel:  Heavier walleye jigs
5. Frabill Bro series rod 30", Frabil bro reel:  main jig stick for jigs/spoons targeting walleye/perch in 8-20 ft of water
6. 13 fishing Wicked rod, Wicked reel:  Used on a hookset Finicky Fooler

EXTRA STOCK
1. St. Croix Mojo 32", Teardrop Reel
2. Extra Rods:  JM Dead Meat 28", Ticklestick 27", Fenwick elite 28ML, Scheels 24" UL w/spring bobbber
3. Extra Reels:  Sienna, two 13 Fishing CGI inlines
4. Extra Combo: 28" Shimano ML w/Sienna

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Rod/Reel assortment setup-matching
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2020, 12:33 AM »
When I rearrange things I also consider line as well.  Since ice fishing set ups are vertical and within feet rather than yards the line diameter and line type actually has more significance in the subtle changes to jigging and sink rate when comparing finesse set ups.  I am constantly changing things as since the fish bite is truly what forces me to change things.  When I don't so much as change things, it's about fishing familiar spots and being familiar with what I'm catching.  Being that I am a sucker for buying different lures and playing more so with them, I also rely on old school proven methods to always catch fish.

From your list the one thing I have used and didn't like was the 13 Whiteout reel.  I get that the reel itself is very smooth.  However that plastic bushing under the line roller is near completely useless in terms of function on the ice. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Good thought on the line and role it plays. I’m also not a big fan of the 13 fishing wicked combo, which is why I put it on the hook set fooler...kind of hard on rods with that constant tension.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:33 AM »
I changed my posts above as I realized that the 13 fishing combo on the fooler is the "wicked" long stem combo...not whiteout. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:03 AM »
LOL...I also had a 13 Wicked combo too...chuck that reel faster than the Whiteout.  ;D

I'm not much of a noodle rod user, so I keep a 13 Wicked UL rod as part of my arsenal.  Only really for times when the fish are finicky selective light biting.  However I still rarely ever get stuck in fishing in those conditions either.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.