Author Topic: moon effects  (Read 1905 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
moon effects
« on: Mar 14, 2020, 08:00 AM »
do you guys think some species are more effected by the moon than others?  like maybe the fish that migrate more? 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: moon effects
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2020, 09:25 PM »
The idea that the moon has an affect on fishing stems from that fact that the moon causes minor tidal changes in the ocean.  However, research conducted on how this effects fishing catch rates disproves any significant differences during different moon phases.  On freshwater the moon effect is nil.  That being said, since it is certainly brighter during a full moon, perhaps some fish may take advantage of the light at night and move or even feed more.  But in the big picture I would think it does little overall.  Under a foot a ice, probably even less. 

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2020, 11:59 PM »
Moonlight impacts the predators that hunt at night for sure.  As snowpack increases the light penetration decreases and the impact is less because so little gets in at night.  Burbot will be active in different depths (including in-response to cloud cover on a moonlit night).  Lake trout can be much less active during the day because they've hunted all night.  I have heard rainbow/brown/other trout hunt at night but have little direct experience myself, I imagine it would be similar.

Moon phases relating tidal variations I haven't found makes much difference in my lakes, I do watch and I think that maybe there's a sliiight advantage to the higher tides, but that could just as easily be observation bias ('Oh look the GPS predicted this!').  So not much to add to the specific species discussion there.

Moon position & fishing the tides I definitely finds helps, because the wind very often slackens or stops.  Alignment of high tides with sunrise/set is something I take the time to pursue.  But I haven't noticed any species that's more impacted, they all get more active.

Offline Swedish Pimpin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Swedish Pimplin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2020, 05:31 PM »
The idea that the moon has an affect on fishing stems from that fact that the moon causes minor tidal changes in the ocean.  However, research conducted on how this effects fishing catch rates disproves any significant differences during different moon phases.  On freshwater the moon effect is nil.  That being said, since it is certainly brighter during a full moon, perhaps some fish may take advantage of the light at night and move or even feed more.  But in the big picture I would think it does little overall.  Under a foot a ice, probably even less.

Had to chime in on this, you are 100% wrong on this one.  It plays a huge factor.  that being said weather can still be the predominant factor.  Test it yourself and download and app on your phone that breaks down the best hunting and fishing times during those full moon or new moon days.  I have been following this for years now and its uncanny how many times it will say the prime time for the day is 9am to 11:30am .  and more often than not you will catch the majority of your fish during those time frames.  I've seen it happen countless times... Doesn't mean it will always be 100% accurate or effect every fish species but its right more times than it is wrong. 
Swedish Pimplin' Ain't Easy

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:07 AM »

I fish good moon bad moon good barometer or bad , I’m just going fishing anyway , my hand held GPS has all that info
 Which I do check for fun

Offline woodyeckes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2020, 08:19 AM »
So if you are a believer or not, go fishing as much as possible and take notice of results....you are a fishing scientist.  Large responsibility in this day and age, somebodys got to do it.  At least that's what I'm telling my wife!!

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Caught my PB walleye during a supermoon last year so yeah I believe  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2020, 04:13 PM »

Nice fish , 👍

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2020, 08:25 AM »
maybe coincidence but a lot of times the "best fishing times" do seem to have better bite. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Try telling a hardcore musky angler that moon phase doesn't matter.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:06 PM »
Try telling a hardcore musky angler that moon phase doesn't matter.
Hardcore musky fisher here and phase does matter. Fishing and Yes dear....... on my way. Need I say more....lol
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.