Author Topic: 6x10 or 8x12 shanty  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Swingpure

• IceShanty Rookie
6x10 or 8x12 shanty
« on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:44 AM »
My buddy and are trying to decide how big to build our ice hut.

The reality is 50% if the time it will just be me, 20.% 2 of us, 30% 3 of us and 10% 4+.

One of my concerns if you build it, they will come, and just building it will change the above percentages.

Smaller is lighter, bigger is obviously more spacious. Would a 6x10 be good for 3 people, 4 people? My feeling is 4 people would be packed in there.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 6x10 or 8x12 shanty
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I would go with a 6 x10, because they fit in a standard utility trailer and are easier to move around. You get up in size like a 10 x 12 and they quickly get really heavy. I have sat with three other people in a 6 x 10. It's a little cozy, but not too bad.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2020, 09:11 AM »
My shack is a 6.5' X 18', with a 3' V nose, for a total of 21'.  2 couches and a captain's chair will fish 5 very comfortably, could fish 7 with 3 per couch.  IMO, 3 people in a 6X10 would be crowded, but it all depends on what else is in the shack. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2020, 02:09 PM »

The reality is 50% if the time it will just be me, 20.% 2 of us, 30% 3 of us and 10% 4+.

One of my concerns if you build it, they will come, and just building it will change the above percentages.

Smaller is lighter, bigger is obviously more spacious. Would a 6x10 be good for 3 people, 4 people? My feeling is 4 people would be packed in there.

Thanks for any advice!
Mine was 6 1/2 by 12. Fishing three was comfy and four would have been cramped. I never fished more than three for this reason.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2020, 11:17 PM »

Thanks for any advice!

Are you going to leave it on the ice or pull it to shore after each use, this will also determine how big you want to make it.  If you don't need to trailer it on the road after each use then bigger is better.   You are from Ontario Canada, have you any experience seeing or using the ice huts the ice fishing guides use on Lake Simcoe?  You could use some info. from them.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2020, 06:37 AM »
make 2 - 6x8 that can be hooked together or fished solo.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Swingpure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2020, 11:30 AM »
My buddy and I live on the lake, so at the end of the season, we will just pull it onto one of our properties. During the ice fishing season it will be based in one location, but on occasion will be moved for the day or so, to other spots.

One key decision is, are we just making it for the two of us, or for more. Personally I would like to make it for more.

From the tips given, one thing that struck me is it just doesn’t have to be 6 or 8’ wide. It could be 6.5 or 7’ wide.

For us it is not really a place to sleep, or to live in for the weekend, because we simply just go home. It is a place to get warm, use as a wind break and on a bad day to fish out of. Cold weather is not a big deal, it is the wind.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:36 PM »
So, mostly a wind break and a coffee stop for a few buddies.....4x3 per person should work out. So, I’d probably do 4x6 or 6x8 (or there abouts) depending on how you want your holes orientated and what all else you wanted to do to the inside (shelves, seats, etc.). It doesn’t sound like it needs to be hauled anywhere and from what you’ve provided it doesn’t sound like it needs to be all that big either. Anything bigger than what you need is just added unnecessary weight.

I know your plans are to build one but have you considered getting a decent size hub shelter? You could even bolt it to a frame and just tie down all the hub connections so the wind doesn’t push them in. Just thinking aloud.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Since lumber is usually sold in 8' lengths why not just go 8x8 ? ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2020, 06:37 AM »
I have a 6x10 and can fit 4 easy and its not too cozy. We have a wood stove, four hole in the floor, two benches and a fold down table. Plenty of room for everyone.

Offline Swingpure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2020, 07:41 AM »
VT Laker are the holes all in a row, essentially 2 feet apart?

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2020, 07:46 AM »
VT Laker are the holes all in a row, essentially 2 feet apart?

Thanks everyone for the tips.

No they are staggered, almost like a zig zag, it works great. No one is fishing on top of each other and the only time lines get crossed is if someone puts on live bait and it starts to swim around.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:18 AM »
I have an 8' X 12" with 4 holes in line (works well with one Panoptix), I could see cutting the width down a little if I had too, but not the length, I like the comfort of high-wide director chairs in order to accommodate bulky clothing, in my configuration it is nice with 2 people, 3 is OK, 4 is too many in order to still have room for the wood stove and storage.  I have been contemplating building a 2nd smaller 2 man shack mounted on an UHMW skid in order to be move around easily if I want to try out different spots from time to time, have not figured out the logistics of that yet, would like to see what other people have done.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2020, 01:55 PM »
8x12 works out well for sheet usage. Very comfortable for up to 4 people.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I look at it the same way as a shed, make it bigger the first time for the extra room so you don't have to add on to it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2020, 01:09 PM »
That jump is bigger than you think. Square foot-wise the 6 x 10 is 60 sq ft while the 8 x 12 is 96 sq ft over half again as large. Size is nice and the only time you'll regret big is when you have to move it or store it. If you've got space to store out of the way you're halfway there, If you have means to transport, even if it's deep snow/slush, you're all the way home. Build it and they will come...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:02 PM »
That jump is bigger than you think. Square foot-wise the 6 x 10 is 60 sq ft while the 8 x 12 is 96 sq ft over half again as large. Size is nice and the only time you'll regret big is when you have to move it or store it. If you've got space to store out of the way you're halfway there, If you have means to transport, even if it's deep snow/slush, you're all the way home. Build it and they will come...

agree
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.