New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Champlain perch strain  (Read 1743 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Lake Champlain perch strain
« on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Are there any experts on here that can confirm whether the yellow perch in Lake Champlain are a different strain than those found in typical lakes of the Adirondacks ? My reason for asking is based on my observations which appear visually to be significant differences .

Perch from Lake George and Paradox to name 2 waters, are for the same length as those I have caught from Champlain, not as tall from top to bottom at just above the dorsal fin, and also not as thick, so that they weigh less at equal lengths. The difference is magnified as the length increases. I caught a 12.5 inch perch from Champlain this weekend that must have weighed 1.5 pounds, and I have never seen one close to that chunky at that length from another water. Any well thought out responses to this post are highly appreciated
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
Re: Lake Champlain perch strain
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:21 PM »
I’d like to hear someone explain this as well. Very interesting.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Maybe male or females?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I see differences in the perch in Lake George vs Saratoga.  To me the Saratoga perch have bigger mouths.  Maybe its a function of what they have evolved to eat.  The Lake George perch really hammer the scuds in the grass, or tiny perch.  Saratoga doesn't have the grass beds and scud supply that Lake George does, and I know they eat a lot of little bluegills and sunfish. 

Your question on Champlain is interesting.  Back 45 years ago when I fished it the perch were pretty small, but even the little ones would hit the mixed bait tipups we were using for walleyes and saugers, back when Champlain had saugers. I fished the south end around Putnam, Dresden, etc., where the water is a little cloudy.  What part of the lake did you take that chunky perch from.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:26 PM »
In Ontario bays you can see significant color difference in the perch, I am told that is due to the fish that never leave the bay maybe something like that.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I see differences in the perch in Lake George vs Saratoga.  To me the Saratoga perch have bigger mouths.  Maybe its a function of what they have evolved to eat.  The Lake George perch really hammer the scuds in the grass, or tiny perch.  Saratoga doesn't have the grass beds and scud supply that Lake George does, and I know they eat a lot of little bluegills and sunfish. 

Your question on Champlain is interesting.  Back 45 years ago when I fished it the perch were pretty small, but even the little ones would hit the mixed bait tipups we were using for walleyes and saugers, back when Champlain had saugers. I fished the south end around Putnam, Dresden, etc., where the water is a little cloudy.  What part of the lake did you take that chunky perch from.

buz23, it was caught south of Crown Point, the water was slightly cloudy as it tends to be in that part of the lake. I only tipup fish so all my fish are caught on live minnows. I think all of the perch I cleaned from Champlain this weekend had baby bluegill and crappies in their guts, partially digested but easily identified as 1 inch long fish. I did not see this in the skinnier perch caught from Paradox this weekend.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:40 AM »
 more like different forage, leading to different growth rates.  Alewives are very easy for perch to gorge on, thats why champ's perch are getting so much bigger on average that the past, thats why the finger lakes, lake ontario and small alewive lakes often have the very biggest perch around. 

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2019, 01:47 PM »
I don't know if it has anything to do with strain but I live in Whitehall and have fished lake George and Champlain my whole life and you can tell the difference between the two not only color but like you said Champlain gets those thick humpback perch. Even the smaller ones are thicker back to belly. When it comes to size Champlain has way more slobs than you catch on " the king"
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:31 PM »
my guess is the strain is the same just have evolved differently due to location, darwinism. just like some birds etc. there are some biologist on the vt forum that are very knowledgable and may be able to give a better answer.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:34 PM »
more like different forage, leading to different growth rates.  Alewives are very easy for perch to gorge on, thats why champ's perch are getting so much bigger on average that the past, thats why the finger lakes, lake ontario and small alewive lakes often have the very biggest perch around.

BigRed, you did not disappoint ! I was pretty sure you would chime in on this thread. Thank you

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Champlain seems like an ice fishing staple in NY and VT-always has been.  Just curious (and maybe I’m missing it) but I don’t see a long bs thread for champ like the other big lakes in NY.  Why is this?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:15 PM »
no bs here

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:00 AM »
I bet it is the forage, perch that eat buckeyes and lake shrimp and bugs (Oneida) taste different than ones from Ontario, I don't know what thier main forage is.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:01 AM »
Champlain seems like an ice fishing staple in NY and VT-always has been.  Just curious (and maybe I’m missing it) but I don’t see a long bs thread for champ like the other big lakes in NY.  Why is this?
Not a staple to this icemen. Never been to Champlain gorge the sacandaga to Far East. Those lil lakes aren’t worth the 3/4hr drive from where I am. The Great Lake is all I really need 🤪 lol
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I regularly follow the NY, VT & NH Ice Shanty forums -- the VT forum has a pretty continuous stream of posts relating to Lake Champlain ice fishing (much more so then the NY forum)!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.