New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo mako gas leak  (Read 526 times)

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
Eskimo mako gas leak
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Got my gas auger out for the first time in years the other day, put gas in it, primed it, started it almost right up and was running, but then it started pissing gas all over. I found one leak where the fuel line comes out of the tank,  easy fix,  but the other seems to be in the choke housing/carb area.  I think its a fairly common problem but figured I'd reach out here before taking it apart to see what some of y'all might have done to fix. Thanks
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
Re: Eskimo mako gas leak
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Bump
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Your beat bet honestly is just to buy a replacement carb . And a tank and hose grommet kit. It’s literally like a 15 min repair job air cleaner housing comes off. 2 bolts. Remove the throttle cable , pulled the lines out of the tank with the carb. Install the tank grommet with the lines ( should come with a new filter stone in the tank ) pop the new carb on and your good to go. I think the carbs are only like 20 bucks and not much more from the line kit. For the cost of a new carb it’s not worth it to rebuild it. I work on small engines every day. That’s your best bet.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Buy a new carb for a gasket leak ? Nuts.  No wonder China is taking over our manufacturing and people are lazy by buying their junk.
It seems like a simple fix, replace the fuel lines.  Look up the carb and see what a gasket kit costs. If it's a leak where it mounts,  you can easily just make a gasket.  I'd start there .  Sometimes it's more fun to learn something before you just toss it away.
Good luck

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Buy a new carb for a gasket leak ? Nuts.  No wonder China is taking over our manufacturing and people are lazy by buying their junk.
It seems like a simple fix, replace the fuel lines.  Look up the carb and see what a gasket kit costs. If it's a leak where it mounts,  you can easily just make a gasket.  I'd start there .  Sometimes it's more fun to learn something before you just toss it away.
Good luck

Not really nuts ? The replacement carbs arnt much more then the gasket kits. After those things sit for years everything drys out. Unless he’s going to fully break it down and ultrasonic clean it and rebuild it he’s better off just replacing it. Keep in Mind it’s a vacuum actuated carb. Your not going to be building diaphragms and flow gaskets by hand lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.