New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hit the wall of ice  (Read 7950 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hit the wall of ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:19 AM »
we use all steel trailers for our landscaping company...never had a issue with them. We did re-paint one after about 9 years of use.

As far as the aluminum snowmobile trailers go...they are cheap. 3 family members of mine had broken 3 of them. They snap at the welds. My uncle had one completely snap at the axle welds while on the road. Axle fell right out of the thing.

Aluminum corrodes and rots as well....the big deal is, steel atleast shows it. Aluminum shows it when it breaks.

Fishmon

« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:30 AM »
I have 2 trips on my tractor supply trailer and the fenders are already pitted and rusty. I am not impressed. Will repaint this summer and see.

I have one of those trailers with a pressure treated lumber deck.  I have repainted it once with an epoxy paint which seems to last a lot longer.  Use sander and remove pitted paint and rust and prime before  painting.  I have had trailer for 7+ years after swapping a bigger trailer that I got at an estate sale for $200 with a friend for his smaller one.  Cheap alternative to aluminum.  Just make sure bearings/tires/lights are good each season and you are in business.  I have trailer hitch on ATV and occasionally tow trailer out on ice when conditions are good.  Really good for lazy friends and their gear.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:24 AM »
galvanized ;D.....my 2003 trailer is still going strong.....pricey though :o

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I agree with Scout's galvanized quote. That's my next trailer hands down. My Tractor Supply guy is rotting from the salt.

fordman

« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:00 AM »
The steel trailers will be rust buckets in a few years if your using it all winter with the salt. That’s why snowmobile are mostly aluminum . Aluminum trailer with aluminum floor is the way to go. No wood or steel to rot out and it will still look good in 20 years.
you want to keep the rust away
Buy wd40 by the gallon get a zap spray bottle and hit it all every month. I have a f550 that 2005 not a spot of rust anywhere. Spray my plows no rust. Spray everything under and around door jams breaklines universal joints hoses everything. Hit the plow truck befor every storm in side tailgate fenders inside outside every inch of the bottom no rust
I have a dump trailer thats 18 years old no rust

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Started Nov 25th and will finish in April.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:05 AM »
we use all steel trailers for our landscaping company...never had a issue with them. We did re-paint one after about 9 years of use.

As far as the aluminum snowmobile trailers go...they are cheap. 3 family members of mine had broken 3 of them. They snap at the welds. My uncle had one completely snap at the axle welds while on the road. Axle fell right out of the thing.

Aluminum corrodes and rots as well....the big deal is, steel atleast shows it. Aluminum shows it when it breaks.

Using a steel trailer in the summer will be fine for a years. The problem is using them during the salt season. They will be rust buckets in a year.. the reason why snowmobile trailers fail is because no one takes care of the undercarriage .they go out for the weekend and then sick it on the side of the house never washing of the salt. People also hang onto sled trailers for a long time. The outside will stay nice but the steel axle rots away. Top brand trailers like Aluma and stealth can’t be beat by steel trailers. You almost never see steel trailers behind big rigs any more unless it’s a dump trailer or low boy. Same with boat trailers. Most new boats come on aluminum trailers because the steel trailers rot out as soon as you dip them in the salt water.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Iv'e been at it since December 7th. No way am I stopping now, there is tons of good ice to play on
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:02 AM »

Jon you actually started November 23rd.  I started on the 24th, same lake.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:16 AM »
I’ll be done as soon as The snow melts and boat prep can start !

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:49 PM »

Yea but didn't you take some time off ?
It's not exactly when you start but how much time.

I could say I started dec-7th and only fish once 🤔

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Yea but didn't you take some time off ?
It's not exactly when you start but how much time.

I could say I started dec-7th and only fish once 🤔

Time off from the laker lakes to hit winni derby and then weekend before last for Ontario and then this weekend was pike fishing.  I fish 52 weekends a year at least 1 big trip a weekend.  I haven't taken a break in 20 years.  I think because I know I will slow down later in life that I am focused on pushing myself to get it in while the getting is good.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:47 PM »
 Lol low. I don’t want your secret fishing spot, Just the line you give to your wife to get out of the house every weekend !

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Lol low. I don’t want your secret fishing spot, Just the line you give to your wife to get out of the house every weekend !

She can't wait for him to go lol

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I used to get 25 trips in before kids!

Now I am happy if I squeak out 15. To be honest it is more enjoyable when I can plan out my trip and make the most out of it.

Have fun Hot Tuna. I will stay after them until the end.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:03 PM »
I'm not saying I'm done,  I just hit a wall after 16 straight weeks,  30 plus days, and hundreds of miles without a break.
Prior I spent 1.5 months in the woods with a 2 week break to process deer before I chased ice.

We are already talking about taking the grandson to LG to jig his first laker there.
He's already ahead of me on lake trout count but we cant count anyway,  lol😎

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Lol tuna might be done fishing for the season but, he’s never done trolling.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Lol tuna might be done fishing for the season but, he’s never done trolling.

You said I be, not me.
Whose the troll.  I don't need 250 people to like me.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Lol your first post literally said your done for the season.  “ peace and tuna “ , still trying to figure out what trolling is  and how YouTube works? Who said anything about having 250 people like them ?

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Obviously you can't read or listen to your own self promotion. .dope dang dippity dope.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Time off from the laker lakes to hit winni derby and then weekend before last for Ontario and then this weekend was pike fishing.  I fish 52 weekends a year at least 1 big trip a weekend.  I haven't taken a break in 20 years.  I think because I know I will slow down later in life that I am focused on pushing myself to get it in while the getting is good.

52 weekends? Does your daughter know your name? Jeez.

How did the pike trip go.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:37 PM »

52 weeks,  that a lot.  Do you realize what that means ?
I can put in 200 plus days a year but 52 weeks.. seems fishy, lol
Enjoy

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:50 PM »
 ???  52 weekends. . That's 104 days. .  :P hot tuna done fishing for the year. . Not unless hell freezes over and I know he'll fish there. .  ;D

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:44 PM »
I used to get 25 trips in before kids!

Now I am happy if I squeak out 15. To be honest it is more enjoyable when I can plan out my trip and make the most out of it.

Have fun Hot Tuna. I will stay after them until the end.

I get that. If I am lucky, I get to fish one full day a month with no kids. Maybe 2 times a month if it’s 2 tournaments... and pre fishing is rare for me. Usually show up, pay the entry and go fishing... if I do pre fish, I have one or two children with me.. so pre fishing, hardly...

I know what you mean about those special trips now are more enjoyable for sure.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:06 PM »

The line I use with my wife is, I slap her on the rump and ask fishing or sex? She tells me I better dress warm it's going to be cold on the lake LOL  ;D
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:11 PM »
The line I use with my wife is, I slap her on the rump and ask fishing or sex? She tells me I better dress warm it's going to be cold on the lake LOL  ;D
You could be on to something

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:12 PM »

Lol,
After you been married 34 years, you just dress warm

Actually you put th e warm clothes out the night before

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:40 PM »

Ahhh you give your wife the same option too? Lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:36 PM »

I'm surprised you asked because it seemed to me the one thing you and I had in common was we took our kids fishing a lot. Anyways, the pike trip was a blast fishing wise, catching was lackluster.  Averi and I fished together Sunday and caught 1 brown on a jacker.  It made up for Saturday. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I'm surprised you asked because it seemed to me the one thing you and I had in common was we took our kids fishing a lot. Anyways, the pike trip was a blast fishing wise, catching was lackluster.  Averi and I fished together Sunday and caught 1 brown on a jacker.  It made up for Saturday.

Bring the kids fishing, yes. Wasn’t aware you brought your daughter very often just judging by your posts here... which obviously isn’t a accurate way to judge someone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.