The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: traverse bay  (Read 6622 times)

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: traverse bay
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:08 AM »
The real question is, how thick is the ice and how far out can you get and still have safe ice...

edit: Today's satellite - https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=m&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.18045.1643.LakeMichigan.143.250m.jpg

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Was in TC yesterday and drove by west bay and there were about 25 guys fishing just past the swimming area. Guessing 50 yards out? Didn't stop and talk to anyone, so I don't know what they were fishing for. Sorry not much help on a fishing report, but safe ice out at least 50 yards or so. Be careful. And good luck if you head out.

Offline TC Wood Tick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:55 PM »
About 50+ tents out at mouth of Boardman.  2 tents about a half mile at opening of Bower's Harbor north of Power Island and another 2 tents out 200 yards from launch at Bower's Harbor.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I'll be there Wednesday morning at 9 am... Wife booked a hot tub room at a hotel up there on Groupon for 62$!!! So hot tubbing after fishing should be fine by me!!
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline tvlle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Here is the view about 3:-00PM today. Most have left. The word was they were catching perch, but not many jumbo.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Check East bay today.

Walked a few hundred yards off Lawrence Gilroy Park, about 7" of ice

There were some guys fishing further North, but nothing like the crowd on West bay.

I heard there is about 4" of Ice on West bay off Clinch Park, but I did not actually check it.

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Just checking or did you do some fishing Joe?

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Just checking it today, hoping to fish it soon  :tipup:

Offline Caverla2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2018, 10:56 PM »
I fished west bay on Wednesday, it was dink city for me. Even the better fish I caught that were keepers (8 1\2” and above” were super skinny. We won’t have to worry about ice after Monday anyways

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Think the ice will hold up til Wednesday? I got a room booked on the bay Wednesday evening but I'll probably end up on Skegamog or something safer

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:24 AM »
I hope it does but all the guys I know that have permanent shanties on Crystal pulled them yesterday from 10+.  Planning on fishing on the 28th.

Offline Caverla2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:21 AM »
The bay isn’t going to golf after tomorrow. 50 and rain in TC. I fished skegemog on Saturday. Get ready to lose your mind, I saw lots of nice perch but nothing but the dinks were hungry

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Fished the bays this weekend. Went out at deepwater point on East Bay. Past the pack ice it gets two hits with the spud. We setup a shanty in about 70' for a few hours. Ice was about 4" and got better the closer you got to shore. Got one big whitefish and lost another. then saw nothing on the flasher for an hour or more so we packed up and went over to West Bay. Dink perch from however deep it is near shore out to 80'. Jigged out in 110' for a while but never saw a fish. The ice coming out of the marina at Clinch was pretty shot by Saturday night.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:03 PM »
How bad a beating did the ice take today?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Went out of Sylvan park in yuba to the end of the chunk ice... Chunky ice was 6-7 inches.... Once the ice was strait clear it slimmed down to about 4-5 inches.... 40' of water... No bits but had a school of something swim through 20' down... Dozen or so fish.... Looked like Cisco or whitefish but hard to tell only caught a glimpse.... Big body of water out there .... Idk the structure...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Pics aren't loading... Can see 40' down plain as day... Clearest water I've ever seen.... Friggin amazing

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I thought the same thing last weekend when I was out there. Never seen water so clear. I saw my white tube down 50'. probably could have seen it on the bottom if I had my glasses on.

Is the ice out there actually holding up? Figured it would be trash after the rain.  The forecast is garbage for the next 15. No highs below freezing.  Can't imagine it's making any more ice

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:41 PM »

30 fow.... Can see the bottom in a cell phone pic.... Damn zebra mussels got it like bottled water.... That ice was 6.5 inches east bay Sylvan park... Yuba.... Another 100 yards past the chunk ice it dropped to 4.5 of solid clear ice.... I didn't have a Spud so I wasn't gonna venture on it..... It could fluctuate and I'd never know and in that bay they may never find my body

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I thought the same thing last weekend when I was out there. Never seen water so clear. I saw my white tube down 50'. probably could have seen it on the bottom if I had my glasses on.

Is the ice out there actually holding up? Figured it would be trash after the rain.  The forecast is garbage for the next 15. No highs below freezing.  Can't imagine it's making any more ice
ice is sketchy.... I wouldnt recommend a trip but I wasn't the only guy on the ice

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I didn't make it to the bays . I'm stuck on platte . just cant leave this spot I found! landed a 31" channel cat and a 27" walleye. also fought a few fish that got off!

I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.