Author Topic: bait tank help  (Read 3699 times)

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
bait tank help
« on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:20 PM »
I was hoping to set up a bait tack this summer. To keep bait a catch. If you have any good idea or tips about keep bait alive. The best way of doing so please let me know.  I would apprate any insight you may have. Thank You
 :icefish:

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
Re: bait tank help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2008, 01:50 PM »
check out some of the archives on here you will find many ideas  best advice is keep them cold and clean water either with a filter or chemicals  some guys use a 55 gal drum i use a old freezer with a filter and areeator  frozen milk jugs keep it cold if you need ideas just ask would be glad to help you out if i can :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:44 PM »
make sure the water is cold!!!! warm water=no oxygen=dead fish

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2008, 09:05 PM »
make sure the water is cold!!!! warm water=no oxygen=dead fish
had a great idea put a 5 gallon tank in my 300 gallon tank to hold little bait need to post picture cut open a tyler mountain water jug drilled it attached in the bung of the tote tank viola    hope it gives you ideas   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2008, 09:29 PM »
i use a fifty five gallon tank with filter to store all my bait in for the ice season. works great, i still have bait from last season left over.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Thanks MO it did give me a good idea......Get my bait at Imo's place........ :laugh:      :tipup:
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2008, 09:46 PM »
my left over bait is on the koi pond  now i just have to get the lil buggers out lol

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2008, 06:53 PM »
I use a (working) 18 cubic foot chest freezer with an aerator and "easy set" pool pump  / filter.  This will be my first year of using it, But I think it will work GREAT !!

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:07 PM »
hey beever you might want to keep that on the warmest setting  it will never shut off and running a freezer all winter could get a lil pricey

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:36 PM »
 I don't plan on running it often.  Thinking about using a timer to control on / off cycle.  It is in the basement where it is cool, but want to keep the water as cold as possible.  Thinking something like 1/2 hour every 3 or 4 hours..  but will have to experiment and see what works.  Most likely I wont have to run it at all once we get some colder weather as I have it set against an outside wall and the basement has minimal heat.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Atually once you find the temp setting, just leave it there and on. It wont run constantly. Most all freezers have an above freezing setting. It will only kick on when it needs to cool down.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:01 PM »
TY..  I'll give it a try

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:48 PM »
i need to find myself a chest freezer or something to use to hold all the minnows i plan on catching this year. my current set up may not hold

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I got mine off of the curb !!   I was looking / advertising for several months with no luck when I found mine on the curb.  Not more then a few years old and in perfect working condition.  ;D ;D  If I didn't already have an upright (my preference) I'd be using it for this years venison.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2008, 12:41 PM »
Thanks MO it did give me a good idea......Get my bait at Imo's place........ :laugh:      :tipup:
i had the same idea lets go over to jay's bait shop  lol    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.