Author Topic: new to lake louise and ice fishing  (Read 5657 times)

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
new to lake louise and ice fishing
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:59 AM »
I am new to ice fishing but since we bought a cabin on lake Louise I decided to take up ice fishing.  I know that most folks can  be a little protective of their honey holes and secret weapons but since I am new anything would help.  here are some basic questions

basic areas for good fishing
how deep
what basic gear and bait (shrimp? herring? etc)
time of day
what kind of action should I expect.  I don't mind being patient and enjoying the experience but should I expect to get hits within a certain time frame or move on
I understand that lakers and burbot are fairly common but what else might I catch?
different baits and gear for different fish

the last time I was out there were in 15-20 feet of water (fow?) and we got a few hits on some herring and shrimp but no fish through the hole.  the bites stopped dead at dark.  we fished for about 3 hours just before dark.

any and all advice and help would be appreciated.  sorry in advance for any ignorant stupid questions.

Dalton

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: new to lake louise and ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Hey Dalton we fish louise ALOT and we have good and bad spots and spots that are great certain times of the year. PM me and I'll fill you in. Lots of lake and only certian spots will hold fish year long.

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:34 PM »
akdude.

apperently I am complete f%$#@*&ng idiot.  I cannot find the appropriate button to push to send you a pm.  I will send you an email to your address listed in your profile.

thanks

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:37 PM »
akdude.

apperently I am complete f%$#@*&ng idiot.  I cannot find the appropriate button to push to send you a pm.  I will send you an email to your address listed in your profile.

thanks

You don't have enough posts to send a PM yet. I think you need 5 or 7.

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:39 PM »
ok so Im not a complete idiot.  that explains it.  thanks for the info. 

dalton

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Tree is a wealth of info for fishing if you scratch his back(Drinks,propane,fuel meals) just what makes the world go round up there.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:16 PM »
hey dalton if i come up there this weekend or the next ill get in contact with you and we'll do some fishin...i got a couple of decent spots and id like to explore a bit....also have a dozen new tactics and weapons id like to try.....bought em specifically for experimentation on the lakers and burbot, and my newest toy is a hardwood tipup....i got the new lights for my underwater camera, and ive got a good auger and a quickfish 6....tryin to find some pals to go with me so i dont get bored on the drive, and to split costs with......
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:07 AM »
Tree is a wealth of info for fishing if you scratch his back(Drinks,propane,fuel meals) just what makes the world go round up there.

I do not know Tree very well yet. He has been VERY decent to me so far. I buy all my fuel from him, smokes when he has some, case of beer or 2 and a meal once in a great while.  There are just too many people that recommend him for them to all be wrong.

I noticed right away that getting fishing info was going to be a bit tougher than normal. People watched as the lake got popular and fished down. Now they will hardly talk about fishing, let alone give you any great info. Not that I blame them. 20 years to grow a fattie may be a life time to them.

Mike

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:13 AM »
Dalton,
   I sent you an email as I cannot PM yet. If you got the lot I believe that just sold, you can look across the lake and see my lights/fire.

Mike

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I have been trying to meet tree since we bought the cabin in december but the couple time I made over to the lodge he was out of town due to a death in the family.  the guy who used to own my place used his services quite abit.  hopefully I will get a chance to look him up this weekend.

thanks for the info. keep the suggestions coming I need all the info I can get!

dalton

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:37 PM »
any suggestions on where to get a GOOD map of lake louise?  hopefully one that gives names of bays and has a little more depth info than the one I found on the F&G website?

dalton

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2009, 03:18 AM »
Dalton - Check email.

Lake Louise has 4 types of fish.

Lake Trout
Burbot
Grayling
Whitefish

Rumor has it that 2 pike were caught in the channel a few years back. I have not seen one yet. I find it hard to believe that the lake does not have pike. It is connected VIA river to the Susitna drainage and it is full of them. I hope that Devils Canyon will keep them out. I have heard that they really thin out north of Talkeetna.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:14 PM »
Any luck Dalton? Headed up Wednesday till sun stop out to the shacks.

Offline dalton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I didn't get much chance to fish when I was at lake louise last weekend.  too many other things to do.  I fished for only a few hours near what I think was pennington island and had no luck.  it took awhile to find a hole that was shallow enough to fish.  the first 8 I cut were over 50 feet deep.   i hope to have more fishing time this weekend.  I will hopefully be able to post next week with positive results.

tinman and addube I hope to see you up there this weekend.  it would be great to meet you.

dalton

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2009, 04:08 AM »
Dalton,
   Nice to meet you and the family a couple weekends ago. Thanks for the coffee. Have you tried the fishing yet? Results? If you get a map with the local names on it, I would like to update mine. We made up our own names for certain spots.

akdube - Thanks for the heat!!! -12 was a bit colder than we expected and we had a bit of visor frost. Nice shack too. Great to meet you. Did you move to Susitna? I talked with a friend and he said there was a shack on Susitna just past the channel.

I hope to be out this weekend or next. Got the crud right now and it is beating me up.

Mike

Offline Team Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:46 AM »
I am new to ice fishing but since we bought a cabin on lake Louise I decided to take up ice fishing.  I know that most folks can  be a little protective of their honey holes and secret weapons but since I am new anything would help.  here are some basic questions

basic areas for good fishing
how deep
what basic gear and bait (shrimp? herring? etc)
time of day
what kind of action should I expect.  I don't mind being patient and enjoying the experience but should I expect to get hits within a certain time frame or move on
I understand that lakers and burbot are fairly common but what else might I catch?
different baits and gear for different fish

the last time I was out there were in 15-20 feet of water (fow?) and we got a few hits on some herring and shrimp but no fish through the hole.  the bites stopped dead at dark.  we fished for about 3 hours just before dark.

any and all advice and help would be appreciated.  sorry in advance for any ignorant stupid questions.

Dalton

I tried Lake Louise last weekend for the first time.  I had everything but the right bait - you apparently need hooligan or white fish, which I had neither.   I too had a few bites at 40', but other depths - 12-25' nothing.  Other fishermen said they were catching them in shallow water.  I could see the fish on sonar but I couldn't get them to take my bait.   I hope to get out there again mid March.  Good luck!

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:08 AM »
we're goin back to crosswind in mid march, by then we'll have plenty of fishing light and warmer weather to stay on the ice overnite because our boss dont pay us enough to afford a rental cabin...
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Headed to Lake Louise on the 12th of March through the 15th with a few friends for our annual spring fishing trip. We rented a cabin at Lake Louise Lodge and plan on fishing Louise, Susitna and possibly Crosswind. Drop in for a cold one if your in the area and any fishing info would be appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.