New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Is ice good anywhere around Orange Sullivan counties??  (Read 1377 times)

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Guys, I want to get out tomarrow (MON) and do some fishing is there anywhere around Orange/Sullivan counties that I can go that is ok to walk on?  Please either post or email me directions on how to get there as I dont know many places. Thanks.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Is ice good anywhere around Orange Sullivan counties??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:03 PM »
White Pond in Putnam/Dutchess is safe.

JasonUpstate

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:03 PM »
I drove past white lake, lake supeiror and swinging bridge yesterday afternoon.. The ice did not look too good. It has water on top and some really really wet spots. If it stays cold long enough this week maybe they will be ready by next weekend.

I also didnt see anyone or any signs of anyone out on them.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:12 PM »
GEE,  I reported that Big Pond is not yet completely safe way up and at a much higher elevation in Deleware county and you questioned my report!

Why would you expect it to be any better in a warmer county such as Orange which is 1500 feet lower in elevation & the temperature difference between Orange and Sullivan is around 7-10 degrees ALWAYS and up by BIG POND in Deleware it is probably another 5 degrees colder still.

I left my home today which is at the same elevation as Monticello. It was 25 degrees. I got to Middletown and it was 38 degrees! I called a buddy up in Deleware by Big pond and it was 21 degrees.
Go to higher elevation or don't go at all.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

JasonUpstate

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:16 PM »
GEE,  I reported that Big Pond is not yet completely safe way up and at a much higher elevation in Deleware county and you questioned my report!

Why would you expect it to be any better in a warmer county such as Orange which is 1500 feet lower in elevation & the temperature difference between Orange and Sullivan is around 7-10 degrees ALWAYS and up by BIG POND in Deleware it is probably another 5 degrees colder still.

I left my home today which is at the same elevation as Monticello. It was 25 degrees. I got to Middletown and it was 38 degrees! I called a buddy up in Deleware by Big pond and it was 21 degrees.
Go to higher elevation or don't go at all.

Gary

Yup... tis why I didnt even bother checking orange county yet...

I'm just hoping it gets colder for next weekend.. I got the bug badddddddddddd plus the wifey bought me a replacement underwater cam from hardbor freight for xmas...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Yea Jason, I am prolly going to BP tomorrow with my rope! If you hear of a hanging up in Deleware, It could be me! ;D

Gary

JasonUpstate

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Yea Jason, I am prolly going to BP tomorrow with my rope! If you hear of a hanging up in Deleware, It could be me! ;D

Gary

LOL

Good trout in bp eh?

Thats cool... I'm dying for some perch here....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:16 PM »
I remember day/years when it was much better! Think half the big trout they claim to stock there end up in some polititians pond!!!
Try White Lake for nice pearch! I don't fish for them but have caught a number of nice ones there, 10-13". Mongaup pond has some nice pearch too and could be safe real soon if not now.
Best of luck!
Gary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.