New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: owasco lake access  (Read 1741 times)

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
owasco lake access
« on: Oct 24, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Does anyone know what the situation is with access to the south end of owasco lake for ice fishing.  I remember last year a new guy buying that house and doing alot of work on it.  Anyone know if he will still provide access.  Or what can we do to keep access, like dropping off some fish, jerky or money?
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: owasco lake access
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2005, 04:08 PM »
I'd avoid money - that invites the concept of pay-for-play, which is something we've been very lucky to avoid in North America for the most part.  I think a knock on the door, and taking some time to get to know the property owner is the best route to go.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline brookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2005, 06:03 PM »
Hi all.
This is the brook, 
did some softwater fishing down there, looks like the "new" guy that owns the right of way may be a problem with the access. I am going to stop and see if he has a problem with our passion. I can not guanntee everyone being courteuos and respectful .   His right's are his...>   I talked to him last year, he was somewhat easy to talk with, it was the snowmobiles and 4 wheeler thing that was irritating him at the time, and i could not blame him.  after all when you do not ice fish and some one is racing past your bedroom window @ 5 am in the morning you might want to have a gripe.   will see if we can somehow hold on to what has been there since i was a kid ( don't Ask)  like i said the guy seemed like he would try.
  will let you know how it goes.   but things looked grim as far as new realestate

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:06 PM »
Hey Brook,
     I can understand the whole thing abotu the ATV's, wish there was some way he could just allow people to walk on, but I dont see how that would be possible he would have to erect some wort of fence with a narrow opening tbut even that would play havvoc with walkers with larger pull behind sleds or shanties.           
     If he shuts it down will there be access from the marina farther down there?    Makes for a lot longer walk but still would be nice to get after those toothies, and it might just keep a few other people off the ice, which can get rather packed sometimes down there.      Will be a real shame if no acces is available for down on that end.     
      Let us know how it goes when you talk with him.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline cschell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:53 PM »
I had recently worked at the Cascade Restaurant their, and I might be wrong but I think that they have some access right along the new guys house. If not I believe that they would have access on the south side of their restaurant. Regardless, I know that the business that they received from last years Bass Pro Tourn they would be willing to allow us ice fisherman access somewhere or may have some pull with this new guy. They rely on ice fisherman quite a bit for business in the winter. I will check things out with the owner to see what/ if anything could be worked out.  :tipup:

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I live in auburn (north end of lake) fish it regularly,you can access the lake from the side of the restarant they do not mind, thats were most everyone accesses it.
Sax

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.