Author Topic: Stumped  (Read 2507 times)

rmbillettjr

Stumped
« on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:40 PM »
Last night I finally got on the Conn. River for walleyes.  2 weeks before the ice came on a buddy and I got onto they eyes good in this spot and pretty much pin pointed where they were holding.  From 2-7 last night I had 3 flags and one hit on the jigging rod producing only one 11" eye.  The one that I did get came in 32 FOW, identical to where we got them in early December.  I had tipups set from 10-35' deep figuring that I would be covered as the walleyes came shallow to feed.  I was expecting to do at least as well as we did in the boat, but that did not happen.  I was wondering if anyone has encountered a situation like this or has any advice.  I am not giving up on this spot, I will be back at it Saturday evening.  I am just hoping that it was an off bite that night.

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Stumped
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Pretty common occurence, especially in rivers.  I think fish are constantly repostioning themselves because of current and water level changes, water clarity, weather, and light penetration.  Those fish may have went on a tear right before you got there. >:(  I don't know if you're experiencing some warmer weather there, but that will cause run off - cloudy water and a bite that happens during brighter times.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I don't know much about fishing rivers, but in lakes, sometimes we go a bit deeper in the same region... :)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:53 PM »
RMBILLETJR,

Are you fishing in the tidal section of the river?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Creo gave some good advice,river fish move alot so maybe a small move on your part might be the ticket. Stay near that area and work your way out. What's your deepest water there?
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Last night I finally got on the Conn. River for walleyes.  2 weeks before the ice came on a buddy and I got onto they eyes good in this spot and pretty much pin pointed where they were holding.  From 2-7 last night I had 3 flags and one hit on the jigging rod producing only one 11" eye.  The one that I did get came in 32 FOW, identical to where we got them in early December.  I had tipups set from 10-35' deep figuring that I would be covered as the walleyes came shallow to feed.  I was expecting to do at least as well as we did in the boat, but that did not happen.  I was wondering if anyone has encountered a situation like this or has any advice.  I am not giving up on this spot, I will be back at it Saturday evening.  I am just hoping that it was an off bite that night.
Ask JSchoon, he knows how to get ol' marble eyes... ;)

Offline jschoon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Never to COLD!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Ask JSchoon, he knows how to get ol' marble eyes... ;)
Pasquatch, I don't know about that! So far this year that was a one time thing. Just keep learning.
Keep safe, Hard water fishing, what a rush!
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. Ursula K. Guin

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:29 PM »
 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.