Author Topic: What company will be the first to bring back the 10in hand auger?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
My guess is it will be either strikemaster or clam. Due to strikemaster having the original one, and clam having the gear box.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
My guess is Agronomist.com.   ;D

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!

DN
:woot: :roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac

DN
I would be all about that!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
I would be all about that!

2nd that  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So how hard is it to build a ten inch auger? All it is a shaft and a head??  made with a blade from a old jiffy chipper blade..  that cuts clock wise?? I just bought a plasma cutter and still have yet to get the circle jig for it .. to cut the round parts out to hold the blade from the jiffy.  Then I got to get a steel shaft and a center point blade that will work to hold center.. then I got to figure out how to make spirals oUT of "c" shapes to make the fighting..  then have to be welded  the c shapes end to end..  when I figure it all out they will make a 10 inch hand aguer lol's ..

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
KDrill

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
KDrill

I emailed clam, and they said that they would have the gear boxes avalible this fall. Hopefully improved. Should let that Milwaukee 1200in lb rip holes really easy.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome clams bring them back!! hopefully beefier then before??  for the over powered drill units Like the fuel I even heard rigid is coming out with a bigger inch pound drill ?? But only time will tell?? Heard 1600 inch pounds??

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Watching..... Just for fun...

<°)))>{

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
What am I missing here, I have a 10 inch hand auger then rarely gets used unless it put it on my SM power head. Are these things in high demand or what?  Confused ??? ??? ???

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
What am I missing here, I have a 10 inch hand auger then rarely gets used unless it put it on my SM power head. Are these things in high demand or what?  Confused ??? ??? ???
No they are not. Just maybe a collector.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Not many around anymore,kinda extinct but not rare or worth much.i paid 5 bucks for my mora 10” hand auger.just to have every size hand auger ever made.from 4” to 10”.blades are the rarest part of the auger.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

With the electric drill setups, a 10in mora shaver can be turned by a Milwaukee fuel 1200in lb.

In wheel houses a 10in hole is nice when your in really cold temps for a few days. Reason being is the hole will freeze down.

Electric is nice and clean for cutting holes in the wheel house & the only two 10in augers that really will work on a clam plate or a drill is the 10in Nils which runs $350 and a cutting head runs $199. Or an old 10in mora Which is hard to find.

High demand...no....but they hve their place.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
No not high demand, but there are many situations in which a 10" auger is preferred and with the advance of electric drills it will be possible to use a 10" hand auger.  Sure, this will not be a hole hopping machine, but for those that already have a drill and would rather not buy a dedicated petro engine for the 10", a 10" hand auger and drill is a great option.    I do a lot of Ice fishing for Sturgeon and currently I'm drilling 3 holes in a triangle pattern with an 8" head.  This works alright when we only have 8-12" of ice, but after that, it kind of gets to be a pain and I'd rather drill 4 10" single holes instead of 12 8" holes, especially if I plan to move 2 or 3 times and the ice is 30" thick.   Sure I might only get 4 holes out of a battery, but I can just throw it on the charger between spots.   

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Only valid reason for 10 that I see is for a wheel house.  One ten isn't gonna replace three 8's and three 8's really shouldn't take much longer than a 10 anyways. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Only valid reason for 10 that I see is for a wheel house.  One ten isn't gonna replace three 8's and three 8's really shouldn't take much longer than a 10 anyways.

Have you ever tried to drill three overlapping 8in holes in 30in of ice......it takes some time.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Have you ever tried to drill three overlapping 8in holes in 30in of ice......it takes some time.

Nils or mora for a  auger?? If it's nis on a electric it dont take long..  now a 8 inch mora by hand I feel sorry for the person who dares to..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
No not high demand, but there are many situations in which a 10" auger is preferred and with the advance of electric drills it will be possible to use a 10" hand auger.  Sure, this will not be a hole hopping machine, but for those that already have a drill and would rather not buy a dedicated petro engine for the 10", a 10" hand auger and drill is a great option.    I do a lot of Ice fishing for Sturgeon and currently I'm drilling 3 holes in a triangle pattern with an 8" head.  This works alright when we only have 8-12" of ice, but after that, it kind of gets to be a pain and I'd rather drill 4 10" single holes instead of 12 8" holes, especially if I plan to move 2 or 3 times and the ice is 30" thick.   Sure I might only get 4 holes out of a battery, but I can just throw it on the charger between spots.

DTro....I never got a close look at the 10 auger shaft for the ion. Not sure if it would be light like a hand auger and work on a drill setup.....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Nils or mora for a  auger?? If it's nis on a electric it dont take long..  now a 8 inch mora by hand I feel sorry for the person who dares to..

Getting them straight and not angled can be a trick.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Drill over a dozen 8" connecting holes to spear. Sharp blades make all the difference.  10 inch electric seems idiotic if you're not in a wheel house.  10 inch in general is kind of ridiculous unless you're going after sturgeon or lake trout

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Drill over a dozen 8" connecting holes to spear. Sharp blades make all the difference.  10 inch electric seems idiotic if you're not in a wheel house.  10 inch in general is kind of ridiculous unless you're going after sturgeon or lake trout

To an extent......however when you get that deep ice later in the season a 10in has some benifits to getting a fish to turn up the hole.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
It's pretty clear to me that not everyone understands how others might use various tools to help make fishing a little easier.  10" electric is NOT "idiotic" or "ridiculous".   Different strokes for different foks.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Just as a 'BFH' has it's place, so does a 10" auger!!! ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you can't give a legitamite logical reason its kinda idiotic. Yes there is a few niches the 10" agar fills but 99% of the time its unecessary add in how inefficient electiric is at that size imo its pretty idiotic

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I will be hand cranking a few 10” holes for big pike this year..why?because i can.i wouldnt put one a drill tho .im not into the drill craze yet.early ice with my 5” is alright tho with my cheap porter cable drill and ice master adapter.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
If you can't give a legitamite logical reason its kinda idiotic. Yes there is a few niches the 10" agar fills but 99% of the time its unecessary add in how inefficient electiric is at that size imo its pretty idiotic

What’s idiotic is not seeing any logical reason. Here are a few logical reasons.
1. Cutting holes in a wheel house
2. Cutting a larger hole for freeze down
3. Cutting a larger hole when ice fishing for site fishing
4. Cutting a larger hole to turn fish up when in deep ice
5. Cutting a larger hole when fishing for large fish
6. Cutting a larger hole once so you don’t have to cut three holes
7. A 10in electric setup can be made very light weight vs a gas 10in setup.....
8. Cutting a larger hole so you don’t need to take a transducer out when landing fish.

How is electric inefficient? I cut 3-4 holes in 24in of ice or so with my 9ah battery and seen plenty of battery left.

If anything an electric drill setup that allows a guy to switch hand auger bits which can be bought cheap is the logical way to go. 6-8-10 in augers.....

I mean to each is there own. I use 6in holes a lot in my one man inferno shack. I use 8in a lot in my voyager two man shack. And 10in holes in the wheel house or when site fishing for panfish.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think it's idiotic that someone isn't already making a 10" auger possibly with composite fighting and weighing under 5 lbs... I was idiotic enough to buy a Milwaukee mid mixer a month ago so I'm gonna be looking for a 10" Mora as well until Agronimist comes to his senses and starts manufacturing a 10" Composite flighted auger for my mud mixer. If anyone has a 10" Mora they want to sell send me a pm. I hope everyone is slaying them on the open water!!!I

Tight lines,
Shoney

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I think it's idiotic that someone isn't already making a 10" auger possibly with composite fighting and weighing under 5 lbs... I was idiotic enough to buy a Milwaukee mid mixer a month ago so I'm gonna be looking for a 10" Mora as well until Agronimist comes to his senses and starts manufacturing a 10" Composite flighted auger for my mud mixer. If anyone has a 10" Mora they want to sell send me a pm. I hope everyone is slaying them on the open water!!!I

Tight lines,
Shoney

You always were a mora man.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LOL!!!! Love those Swedish blades!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.