Author Topic: Red Hooks  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Red Hooks
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:58 PM »
I would say that the sheer small size of the hook and hook alone would limit your success. If they fish are right on top of it, they would see it, but it won't be anything that will draw the fish in.

I think the key to this is the amount of fish concentrated in the area. It is brackish water and the sockeye's are done feeding at that point I believe and will aggressively hit anything they see.

I have caught Coho Salmon 40 miles out on a bare hook when they first arrive in the Bay.
The salmon up here just have a bad attitude. ;D

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I use red hooks on half of my tip ups, that way the fish can have their choice.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Why does Cajun Line (which is red) advertise for being invisible, and red hooks advertise for being deadly and turns fish agressive? Somebeodies lying!!!

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Why does Cajun Line (which is red) advertise for being invisible, and red hooks advertise for being deadly and turns fish agressive? Somebeodies lying!!!

It is fishing we are all lying!!! ;) ;)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Red hooks are definitely a good option to keep in the arsenal. They aren't the magic solution to make fish bite all the time (nothing is). But a lot of us know that there are times when this is what the fish want.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I do beleive in red hooks, I am not sure about cajun line but I have an Idea. What if you hooked a small length of red yarn to the hook? I would think that would look interesting to a cruising fish. Anybody try it?

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I do beleive in red hooks, I am not sure about cajun line but I have an Idea. What if you hooked a small length of red yarn to the hook? I would think that would look interesting to a cruising fish. Anybody try it?

Here's a yarn for ya!!! older guy I knew(R.I.P) was in WWII in the navy. One day him and some of his buddies were talking about how much they were missing their fishing
adventures back home. Well one thing led to another and it wasn't long before they fashioned a hook out of scrap, tied it to a couple hundred feet of rope, and with no bait store out on the pacific they just stuck a piece of red rag on the hook. a couple hours later they had a sailfish flopping out of the water. And from what he told me the captain enjoyed his fish dinner very much while the fisherman were getting there arsses handed to them for pulling a stunt like that.

Wellsy

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Good ole story and I will take the hint!

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I've used them, I didn't find any connection to making the catch rate better.  Also, I didn't find that it made it any worse.

Regarding line, I don't think red turns invisible.  Instead it would appear darker.  Maybe higher up in the water column it still appears red.

Offline thewoodall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:37 PM »
i have been using red gamagatsu off set and finesse hooks for s couple years I think it makes a difference. Also the red thread I wrap on all of my crankbait hooks with about an inch left to move freely. I do the same with my poppers. I think it looks like a blood trail, don't what the fish think:)

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I like them,when in a pinch can use red nail polish and paint the shank.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:31 PM »
i use red trebles for pike as well as red hooks on my buckshots for perch i love red

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:26 PM »
    You guys haven't read your Jacques Cousteau, underwater photographers can tell you without bringing an artificial light source down with them red is the first color of the spectrum to be washed out! Trout are believed to be able to discern color and so do bass but only with adequate light, at night the color receipting rods and cones recede into the soft tissue at the back of the eye and their vision reverts to black, white, and grays. It's believed many fish species can't perceive color at all. In some circumstances color might truly make as difference but  a whole lot of the time it catches more fishermen or at least their money than fish.
Human Nature : Man believes what he wants to believe!

Spin

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:02 AM »
tried red yarn on two of my tipups set in a line we are allowed six tipups , red yarn on each tipup at each end of my line of tipups  one had a red hook one had bronze one had a dead minnow one had live minnow cant remember which minnow had the red hook but i do remember the dead minnw with the red yarn on it triped the flag first and the second flag i had that day was the other tipup with the redyarn on it so i rerigged all tipups with red yarn and ended up with random flags till dark  caught 5 northern kept 2 lost 2 released one nothing until I used the yarn  :o :o

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Nice! Now if I could just get my blades sharpened! Going be a long weekend!

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2009, 01:00 PM »
This is directly from a Sportsmans Connection book I just got.  New book for NW Michigan....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
VISIBILITY OF COLORS UNDERWATER (clear water lake with slight algae bloom)

Violet:  loses color at 10ft.

Indigo: loses color at 15ft.

Blue: loses color at 50ft.

Green: loses color at 95ft.

Yellow: loses color at 80ft.

Orange: loses color at 40ft.

Red: loses color at 25ft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this chart is very informative and I find it funny that most of my baits are green.  I fish a lot of deep water perch and over the years I have found this color to be more productive.  Now I know why.............  I tried to scan the chart to my computer but it wouldn't come thru good enough to read....

Enjoy..

Dan

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:13 AM »
   Dan buddy Sportsman's Connection is no scientific authority and the list they gave you is WAYYYYY off.
Just GOOGLE visibility of colors underwater, there is no shortage of sources or information. Red is the First color of the visible spectrim to be filtered out. Check out other sources for info or if you have a really clear water source give it the old acid test and drop a good size red lure yourself and watch the color fade as it goes deeper. Red filters out fast wither it's a lure, hook. bathing trunks, or diving gear.

Spin

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:26 PM »
we fish a mix of all kinds of hooks and styles and the last trip out the red hooks caught the same number of fish as the bronze hooks and the spinner rigs outperformed them slightly so it appears to be random to me
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:45 PM »
The sharp red ones seem to catch alot more fish ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2009, 07:38 PM »

I went all red this year, and I think I did a little better than last year.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:36 AM »
i was under the impression that it wasn't that they disappeared but that they just turned black. This year i use alot of red on my quickstricks but what i think made the biggest difference is that i am using florocarbon leaders instead of black wire

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #51 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:48 AM »
red black blue green  what does it matter?
sharp hooks are what matters :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I now have red on every thing does it matter who knows.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:17 PM »
I dont know either but I hear it attracs them better. so i started using it for smelt and red hook work better. I dont know why.

Offline pa.bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 05, 2009, 02:01 PM »
a guy showed me them years ago and that day we did a test 2 see what worked better. the red ones out did the standard hooks. won't use any thing but red hooks now :bow: :thumbsup: :icefish:
got ice?

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Watched a guy a Salamonie that was catching fish left and right, took me about 2 hrs to figure out what made the difference. A red hook. Same bait as everyone else just a red hook.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #56 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:47 PM »
ive got more walleyes with red hooks but less crappies...

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2009, 08:58 AM »
   C'mon now a red hook is supposed to be the "magic bullet"? Has a little red dressing on a hook somehow just
just been discovered after how many centuries? The hottest thing since sliced bread, anglers all over the world have just discovered it - The Color Red!!!. Lets change all our gear over and go monotone. Red everything. Forget that below 15 ft the red fades from the visible spectrum (OK for shallow duty but not so hot news for the deep stuff) As for this pumped up theory that red triggers a predatory responce as it's the same color as blood, ask yourself; How much blood do you see streaming out of a shiner, or bluegill, how about a perch, maybe a fathead or a chub. I've cut the caudal fins clean off suckers and chubs and used em on tipups so they ACTED wounded and wouldn't trip the flags but guess what they didn't bleed like they were in the knife fight of the century. Like I suggested if folks changed out all their hooks, lures, and bait to red colored stuff this fascination and self delusion would ramp down pretty quick.
    By the way a few years back chartreuse hooks were all the rage and sold like hotcakes. Lime green did pretty good too. I swear it's like women and fashion trends with a smattering of testosterone mixed in!!!!

Spin

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:14 PM »

Red  Was the "Magic Bullet" next year I think it will be Purple..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #59 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:29 PM »
i was under the impression that it wasn't that they disappeared but that they just turned black. This year i use alot of red on my quickstricks but what i think made the biggest difference is that i am using florocarbon leaders instead of black wire

Bingo!!!

You must have paid attention in science class.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.