Author Topic: RiverScum & Polecat 2022  (Read 4069 times)

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
RiverScum & Polecat 2022
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:24 PM »
Dynamic Duo strikes again. Bite started out slow, lotta lookers tight on bottom. Afternoon snow showers got them in the mood. I can mention 3 crappie @ 12" and a bass that went 5lbs 13oz. RiverScum managed to haul in several crappie and a couple nice 8-9" gills :tipup:

HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
Re: RiverScum & Polecat 2022
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:30 PM »
RiverScums haul from last week. I had a mess but not as many. Just enough for dinner with taters. RiverScum found a wall hanger in his sack. Not for sure how it got there. :tipup:

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:12 AM »
Very nice bass! Good to see you guys are back at it!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:01 AM »
The Duo does it again! Nice fish!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:00 AM »
Looks like a fun day. Keep it up! ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:04 PM »
im glad i popped open the shack to watch you battle that bass polecat!  epics battle on light line.  almost as fun to watch ;D  i spent that sunny day huddled in the flip over so i could see the poor old fl8 screen. lol  caught a couple porker gills and some decent crappie but no bass.  had 2 flags out for 3 hours too. :-\ 

didnt meassure this gill but it was picture worthy.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2022, 12:05 PM »
Received my 2 new batteries. 1 for Vexilar, 1 for AquaVu. Ready to hit again. Just wish weather would stabilize. Cold fronts becoming a pain in my Bass. :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:54 PM »
RiverScum & I hit the hard water late afternoon early bite . Drills a few holes no marks no movement. We relocated to another watering hole. Same thing, drilled few holes, but did mark some fish. Bite was really lite barely moved the spring bobber. Did manage to catch a mess for dinner. Will post pic's tomorrow. :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Pic's from yesterday, sorry for the delay it was Bud Light's fault. :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:15 PM »
The Dynamic Duo hit it before the rain came in today. Started out abit slow but hole hopping and drilling a few extra holes helped out. Had to break out the AquaVu, bite was really light. Barely moving spring bobber. Did manage to put about 38+ gills on the ice. RiverScum's bag might have been a little heavier. :tipup:

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:34 AM »
Hope that no beards seen you get that many. good job.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:25 AM »
lol nope didnt see any beards there bishop. there were plenty of people out there though.  since the community hole was packed we ventured out to find our own lil honey hole.  third spot we checked showed promising fish marks and thats where we ended up staying.  the walk in was a slippery one.  about went down twice but managed to stay upright n dry. lol  snow all gone and had a bunch of water on top.

i cleaned 58 last night. all gills and reds 7"-9.5" and 1 crappie. i caught a huge bass but polecat has the pic.  fish fry for lunch today.  we had 3 flags out but none popped.  this lake has been good for pike on flag for us in the past.

put my flags out, checked and moved once, then put them away.  that must have been when the 3 tiny gills jumped in my sack again.  pretty slick polecat, i never seen ya make your move.  ;D

we found another big hole in the ice. id guess it was about 18".  looked to be chipped out with a spud.  that will be dangerous after the freeze and snow coming!

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:27 AM »
cant post pics for some reason?

oh well maybe after they get it fixed.

OANN the real story

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:13 PM »
Forgot To post RiverScum's HAWG bass. Was one of the fiercest battles I have witnessed in a while. Screaming and hollaring, shanty almost tipped over. May have gotten a few rips in the side.I went over to investigate and I had to help gaf the beast through an 10" hole. :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:24 PM »
Convinced RiverScum to go out with me before we got snowed in at the lake. Tried a different part of lake "Wannahocalugi" Inside bend of a deep weedline we have caught nice redear and crappie in the past. Drilled several holes bite was timid and slow. Then hit a hole 16 f.o.w had marks @ 5ft. so I investigated with aqua-vu and shazam, crappie. Only caught 15 but it was worth it. smallest one was 13 1/2" the biggest was 16 1/2". Have not seen Slabs so high up in water column.Could not get RiverScum to come out and play tonight. If I'm going to get snowed in I want to be in my shanty... :tipup:

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2022, 04:35 PM »
Nice work gentlemen.  We had one of them there "wannahocalugi" lakes down south here, but people had trouble spelling it so they changed the name to "Lard" lake.  Many a fish have been yanked from Lard lake.

HHD

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:10 PM »
man i mite have saved your life going early.  its supposed to snow so much we would have been buried alive in the shanty! lol truthfully im regretting not staying for the night bite. that was kinda goofy those fish being under the ice like that.  bee moths and jigs fooled a few.  i bet you dont eat more than 4 of those fat fillets tonight. ;D  hopefully tomorrow we can do it again bro.  with fish that high in the water column, im betting they dont stay in that location though. 

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:27 AM »
so winds kept me home today.  hate fighting anything over 10mph.  so i did the next best thing.  played with frying some up.  i put 4 bags in freezer then fried lunch.

i played a lil today.  one batch got splash of dales before shaking in andys the other some garlic chilli sauce and soy.  both good options with the pickled beats. :P  wife dont like them so i just eat them from the can.

OANN the real story

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:32 AM »
RiverScum stay in til this cold front breaks. Rest those arms up for our next fish slaying. I have decided to sell the Aqua Vu, Shappell 2-man shanty and StrikeMaster power auger. Going to upgrade for next season. :tipup:

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2022, 01:22 PM »
so winds kept me home today.  hate fighting anything over 10mph.  so i did the next best thing.  played with frying some up.  i put 4 bags in freezer then fried lunch.

i played a lil today.  one batch got splash of dales before shaking in andys the other some garlic chilli sauce and soy.  both good options with the pickled beats. :P  wife dont like them so i just eat them from the can.

I used to looooove beets when I was a kid. I have no idea how because I can't even stand the smell now.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2022, 02:40 PM »
RiverScum stay in til this cold front breaks. Rest those arms up for our next fish slaying. I have decided to sell the Aqua Vu, Shappell 2-man shanty and StrikeMaster power auger. Going to upgrade for next season. :tipup: i would be interested in the camera, I've never used a camera, but was thinking about it, are you gonna still keep /upgrade yours?

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2022, 07:50 AM »
RiverScum and I got a late start yesterday due to I had to ref basketball in the early morning. Got to lake about 1530 parking lot looked like wal-mart. Picked a 15ft weed line and started. Bite was slooow. Fish coming through on AquaVu now & then. Fish tight to bottom. Sunset came and did see more activity but nothing interested. Had a few gills nodge my jig but that was it. I managed to coax a few to take the jig. Numbers were not there but quality of fish were not bad. Cold front had them in a "funk" :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2022, 08:04 AM »
Got a chance to slip out before work Friday to a lake I haven't fished in a long time. "shooting from the him" where the break was, but after several holes was comfortable in a spot. Did not mark fish right away, but some moved through. Was in 17 f.o.w had some tight to bottom as I have seen a lot this season. Then had some come in about 11-13 ft. Dropped a small Nils silver/green jig and got my first fish. Nice crappie. Bite was very picky. A few wanted that lil jig bumping and others wanted it dead still. Managed to pull up 13 fairly nice crappie. Going to try night bite after work. :tipup:

Offline Ascott3006

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2022, 09:58 AM »
Good luck if ya make it out

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Maybe it is me. For the life of me, whenever I use my aqua view to try and see what fish and higher in the water column, I can't locate anything. Have to be very close to the bottom to see anything.  Does anyone else have this trouble? Maybe, just never learned. ?????

Offline Ascott3006

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:44 AM »
Maybe it is me. For the life of me, whenever I use my aqua view to try and see what fish and higher in the water column, I can't locate anything. Have to be very close to the bottom to see anything.  Does anyone else have this trouble? Maybe, just never learned. ?????

I think its becauae its hard to reference without the bottom ive had trouble as well.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2022, 11:08 AM »
I would mark fish with my vex at lets say 10 fow. I would then measure sending my aqua view down to that depth, moving it 2 to 3 feet up and down. Could be the fish are out of perimeter and can't see with the camera. I have all but given up. Anyone want to buy a camera???

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2022, 01:23 PM »
LOL @ abishop. I'm selling mine also but for a different reason. (upgrading) It can be a very useful tool or a pain in the @#$. :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2022, 09:22 AM »
Met up with RiverScum and a few friends to battle the 50 degree,high winds, and slick (@#$ busting) ice yesterday. South wind @ 20 mph was tough on the spring bobber. I know I had missed a lot more than I caught. I only had a few hours to fish before work. I did manage to land about a dozen. Average size was 8". RiverScum may have gotten into a mess due to the fact that his flip over was making alot of noise. :tipup:

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:30 AM »
Rare pic of RiverScum & I fishing hard ice in mid February with 50+ degree weather. Bite was slow, drinks were cold and RiverScum forgot sunscreen. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.