Author Topic: Hard shack crockpotting  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hard shack crockpotting
« on: Aug 29, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Anyone run a slow cooker in their shack? I picked up a little one recently and ran it through my inverter today as a test run. Looks like it will work good. Can't wait to come in to a bowl of chili or whatever after chasing fish out in the cold. I can guarantee that there will be a sloppy mushroom mix in there at some point. Thanks for that one Joe.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Hard shack crockpotting
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2021, 09:08 PM »
This season I am going with a single burner dual fuel ..Butane/Propane...and a CanCooker Jr..not so certain I can cook a meal on ice in my hub shelter ..but could warm up stuff fast . Thinking I can instant pot some grub and transfer  it to the CanCooker for transport and heat up on ice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2021, 10:15 PM »
This season I am going with a single burner dual fuel ..Butane/Propane...and a CanCooker Jr..not so certain I can cook a meal on ice in my hub shelter ..but could warm up stuff fast . Thinking I can instant pot some grub and transfer  it to the CanCooker for transport and heat up on ice.
That sounds like a good set up. I don't use the hard shack much but when I do put it out it is kind of like the base camp. Small wood stove going in there. Nice place to take a break and get warm and dry if you need to. Especially if there are women and children involved. Thought it  would be an added bonus if there was a low maintenance pork roast bubbling in there as well.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2021, 09:02 AM »
That sounds like a good set up. I don't use the hard shack much but when I do put it out it is kind of like the base camp. Small wood stove going in there. Nice place to take a break and get warm and dry if you need to. Especially if there are women and children involved. Thought it  would be an added bonus if there was a low maintenance pork roast bubbling in there as well.

I bought both item separately on Amazon..CanCooker runs some deals with the CanCookers and Stove from time to time ..sometimes the rack  will be in the deal..The CanCooker is thin aluminum material with non stick coating so its recommended on very low heat/flame with silicon utensils not a fire place item .I did make some bratwurst on its maiden voyage ..Rolled them in some of my Java Rub ..a quick grilling to give them some grill marks and in to the pot ..with red cabbage with peppers and onions ..done in less then 20 minutes .

I would think with your wood stove going ..you could get yourself a good pre seasoned Cast Iron Dutch oven ..porcelain coated even better and set it on your stove for a set it and forget it .You may be able to use the CanCooker as well ..but may have to mess with some so it doesnt get to hot ..may be get it up off the stove via a rack .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2021, 10:13 PM »

I would think with your wood stove going ..you could get yourself a good pre seasoned Cast Iron Dutch oven ..porcelain coated even better and set it on your stove for a set it and forget it .You may be able to use the CanCooker as well ..but may have to mess with some so it doesnt get to hot ..may be get it up off the stove via a rack .
My stove is pretty small. An 8'' 4x4 is pretty much the perfect full load log. The top "cooking surface'' is only about 4x5. I have been meaning to make some kind of a rack system to increase the cooking area but haven't gotten to that yet. As it is it's good for coffee or small quick cooking items. My thinking is that if I tried to make a slow cooked meal on it I would have to load it every half hour (so much for fishing) and I would have to leave the door and windows open on the shack. Doesn't take much to roast you out of there.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:19 AM »
If you are in a shack with power, an instant pot will make any crock pot recipe a lot faster than a slow cooker. I also feel that keeping the smells all inside the sealed chamber makes the flavors more intense. The instant pot has a controller, so it is probably more important to have clean power than a slow cooker, but we use one all the time in your camper.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:19 AM »
If you are in a shack with power, an instant pot will make any crock pot recipe a lot faster than a slow cooker. I also feel that keeping the smells all inside the sealed chamber makes the flavors more intense. The instant pot has a controller, so it is probably more important to have clean power than a slow cooker, but we use one all the time in your camper.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2021, 12:01 PM »

The Instant Pot really does shine with soups and stews ...and works with "Dutch" oven /cooktop recipes..unlike a crock pot which tends to make watered down meals/soups/stews  ..trying to convert recipes  is almost impossible with a crock pot. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.