Author Topic: Cousin Cletus' Creole Seasoning Mix  (Read 1486 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Cousin Cletus' Creole Seasoning Mix
« on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:44 PM »
Down here at La Casa del Whacko in beautiful downtown Spring, TX, just across the sewage canal from the creosote plant we sho nuff likes our Cajun & Creole eatables.  'N we likes 'em spicy! 

Now, over at the Wiggly Piggy, kitty-corner from Our Lady of Perpetual Lunacy, they gots all them commercial mixes that seem to be about 83.1415 % salt.  DANG IT!  I said spicy not salty!

So one night Cousin Cletus, the deep thinker in the fambly, come up with his own mixture.

Truth be told, I was kinda leery at first; Cletus never did hear back from MENSA...

But in the proud tradition of the blind hog, Cletus done rooted an acorn with this one...

Creole Seasoning Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
5 Tbsp paprika
4 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp cayenne
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients in a pint cannin jar.  Mix thoroughly.  Store in the lidded jar away from light.

Uncle Shorty
The German Cajun
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Cousin Cletus' Creole Seasoning Mix
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:38 AM »
Nice share Unc! MENSA probably distanced itself from Cletus as it may have found this "secret blend" was suspiciously familiar. How would I know?   ::)

I've got a blend that I "bent" from a well known resource to meet my taster. Paprika split between regular and smoked and cayenne split with chipotle for a bit more of a southwest flair. Left the salt in mine too so I just leave the NaCl shaker alone. Otherwise, well, it'll be our little secret.  ;)2

I DO like he left the salt out which really lets you control how much you get in the dish. I've got a couple salt and pepper-free blends I use frequently and may actually consider removing it from mine even though it only amounts to 17.3913% of the total blend by volume.

Now... Got a fun dish that this can be used in? I love me hot 'n spicy everything! I'm already pretty familiar with a certain Court Boullion recipe. I usually make up a full recipe of the stock and freeze in quart bags. Lays nice and flat in the freezer taking up very little space. Get the hankerin' for some, I just pull out a bag, throw it in the pot to heat whilst I peel some shrimp, shuck me some oysters and chunk up some fish. Once the stock is good and hot, throttle the heat a bit (can't be bollin' no seafood) toss in the goods and in a couple minutes I'm in Creole heaven!

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Hey 'sox... ever use the smoked Hungarian Paprika? Has a nice, earthy, smokey taste with a bite to it.
I love the stuff.....

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Why, Cletus' mixture can be used on ANYTHING.  Gumbo, jambalaya,  etouffee are just scratchin' the surface.  Try it w/ on scrambled egg sandwich w/ extra bacon and a slab of your favorite cheese on a soft sandwich bun. 

Ohh, cher, that's so good it'll make ya lay down and scream...

One a these days I'll post a jambalaya recipe that's kept in a vault outside Lafayette and guarded by 60 square miles of swamp and more hungry gators than you can count...

Uncle Shorty
The German Cajun
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:16 PM »
I've always got a big bag of smoked paprika in the cupboard Reb!

@ uncleshorty: I'd run across the backs of all them gators (and back) for that jambalaya formula! That's the way I use my "special shake" too. I put that $h!+ on EVERYTHING! Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

That and a generous shake of Sparky's Volcano dust: 2/3 powdered Habanero and 1/3 powdered "boutique blend" peppers (may include Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Scorpion, Naga Viper, Yellow 7-Pot, Fatalii, Butch T's Scorpion, Bubblegum 7-Pot, heck, whatever I'm growing or gifted that is hotter than the Habaneros. I'm so broken I've already been experimenting with Volcano Dust 2.0 where the ratio is flipped to 2/3 boutique blend and 1/3 Habanero. I really love the flavor of habbies sooo much maybe it'll be only 50/50. Time will tell.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:25 PM »
You best watch out for that "Creole heaven", 'sox.   >:D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com