Nebraska > Ice Fishing Nebraska

Pelican Lake Bluegills

(1/2) > >>

crappie rob:
Are the bull gills still there, or has the lake been fished out? Why isn't there a limit on these prized fish? How are ice conditions? Was thinking of coming from Indiana, but haven't fished the refuge since 1998, when I lived in Minnesota. Fished the refuge many times from 1992 to 1998, with Genz and Tony Dean, and each time the big boys were getting harder to come by! What happened with the survey they were doing back in 1998? Can't find any info on dnr website, any info would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks Crappie Rob

buckshot:
The big gills have pretty much disappeared for now.  Pelican's water level has went down the last few years due to drought conditions here.  It is on the rise again this year and only time will tell.   They do say if you can find the cabbage yet in the lake you will find the gills.  The northern have been good there this year from what I have heard.

Ice is good as of now, today, but we are looking at a warm up here the first of the week and who knows what that will bring.

Sandbilly:
Crappie Rob,

I'm with buckshot in saying the drought had more to do with this lake's demise than exploitation. The Paukert/Willis, SDSU studies on many NE sandhill lakes are still on going. The studies they are doing on Pelican showed that exploitation was only a small percent of gill mortality there.  My personal observation as an angler would be to say that as the lake level went down it pushed the recruitment classes of fish out of the weeds and into Mr. pike's belly. Also during the spring/summer of 02 something caused the lake to become very turbid causing the loss of emergent and submergent vegetation then the following winter the lake became clearer than I have ever saw it giving the pike a huge advantage to clean up on anything that would fit in there mouth. My question is if a 1 fish over 10" limit would have been in place would there be more gills that the pike couldn't eat (due to size) that would  be there to reproduce. I believe it will be several years and more moisture before Pelican  is a good gill fishery again.

The good news is that isn't the only sandhill lake. This year we have iced 21 gills over 10", 4 being over 11". Largest so far a 11.5, 1.69 bull that is going on the angler's wall.

For more info on Ne sandhill lakes studies the Ne Game and Parks Forum has several related posts. Dr. Willis sometimes posts on there also.

dc

crappie rob:
Sandbilly,  Thanks for the info! I've also fished Hackberry and Watts, but haven't caught the big boys in either one of these lakes. Did get lots of legitimate half pounders though. Looks like I'll set my sights on Upper Red Lake, and target the silver slime (crappies). Here it is the end of January, and there is only one lake in northwest Indiana that has safe, fishable ice. Wish I still lived in Minnesota!!!  Thanks again for the info, and may the gill gods smile upon you and yours.  Crappie Rob

buckshot:
Sandbilly is right on when he says there are still good slabs to be found in the sandhills lakes.  There are many more places other than the refuge that are producing some good panfish.   We have a couple in my area that are private I think a guy could get on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version