Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

Kodiak 400 ATV

<< < (2/6) > >>

fishercat:
Cant speek to the Kodiak directley but the Big Bear that I have is in the same class. Has not been a bad machine.

ChenBassHead:
I have a 2003 Kodiak 400, and it's a great machine. It certainly doesn't lack on power, and it never struggles to start. I'd recommend it! Of course, I'm selling mine, and getting a 2005 Grizzly 660 4X4 Special Edition.  ;D Oh baby, I can't wait to use that on the ice.

The newer Kodiaks have a re-designed engine...however, the only difference between a 97 Kodiak and a 97 Big Bear is that the Big Bear is a 5 speed, semi automatic transmission (no hand clutch), while the Kodiak is fully automatic.

Oh, and one more thing, Yamahas are shaft driven....Polaris makes all belt driven machines, with the PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission).

-Zach

joekrz:
All Kodiaks from 2000 and on are belt driven.  A belt drives the shaft that goes to the wheels.
Don't confuse the shaft with the driving mechanism.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/YAMAHA/atv2000/utility1.htm

Kodiaks previous to 2000 were 5 speed gear driven. 

I have a fleet of ATV's in my garage if anyone has any more questions.

fishercat:

--- Quote from: joekrz on Dec 03, 2004, 12:12 PM ---All Kodiaks from 2000 and on are belt driven.  A belt drives the shaft that goes to the wheels.
Don't confuse the shaft with the driving mechanism.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/YAMAHA/atv2000/utility1.htm

Kodiaks previous to 2000 were 5 speed gear driven. 

--- End quote ---
I thought that was the case thanks.

TGF:
Not sure how old you are looking at but I have a 93 Kodiak. Love it except a little hard to start when it gets really cold. I haul logs with it to my sawmill, pack out moose, haul firewood, icefish etc.  Word of caution: Not sure where you drive mostly, but here in northern BC Canada some roads can get downright ugly, and I dont like to get a bike that I cant lift both ends. Make sure to get a winch. Friend is a locomotive engineer and was driving the train, when he came around a corner he saw a couple of oldtimers tossing gear off the bike they had rented. They were trying to get it off the tracks and they could not. The bike ended up in a million pieces when the train hit it. SO get to know what your machine will do before you go barreling over something and cant get out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version