Author Topic: Large Walleye Growth/Fungus....Would You Eat This Fish...Post Yes or No  (Read 16631 times)

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
I caught one like that earlier this year in Timiskaming.Posted a pic of it as well and most of the guys assured me it was nothing serious.I released the one I caught because it was only about 9" but if he had been a keeper I would have eating it.
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
EAT THAT FISH IT'S FINE.......YOU COULD OF RELEASED IT IF U WEREN'T SURE........ :callcops: :callcops: :callcops:

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
i would eat the fungus and throw the fish back. I fish the detroit river, I would be freaked out if the fish had no growth.

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
i would eat the fungus and throw the fish back. I fish the detroit river, I would be freaked out if the fish had no growth.
:sick: :sick: :sick: :cookoo: :cookoo: :wacko: :wacko:

Offline panfishkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on
i would have to say no on that one.  :P

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
ya'all though perch eyes were the trick,you should try walleye warts man the fish love um :laugh:
as long as the fillets dont have the "warts" cook it up

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's that suppose to mean?  ::)

It means if I'd have caught it before reading this thread I'd have figured it for some kind of nasty disease or something that needed removed from the population and thrown it up on the bank to rot and stay out of the water.

I still wouldn't eat it but I'd probably throw it back since there are people who would or give it to them if they are standing next to me when I pulled it out.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not that hungry... I'll pass Thanks

Ditto!   :sick:

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
I would pass on eating that.  I would have let it go with that on it.

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
I think Ill pass

Offline chicobeagleman

• IceShanty Rookie
Icedog,you might be on to something. ;D

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haaaaaa no, I dont eat anything that has fungus on it  :-X

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
nice catch there. not sure that i would chance eating a fish that looked like that,regardless of whatever is even on him. where did you go.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
It sure does look nasty, but I'm sure the fish would taste fine, usually when you bake meat you get rid of the diseases and bacteria that was in it anyways..
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline zipplebayman

• IceShanty Rookie
its cold water soars.it dont hurt the meat.i catch a couple of these on lake of the woods.it no big deal.and yes i would eat it.

Offline KGBPACKER94

• IceShanty Rookie
We catch those in the summer from time to time, never touch 'em

Offline toadhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
" It's 5 o'clock somewhere!"

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you want, you can send the growth to me.  I'll either fry it up for the mother-in-law or the guys at work.  They eat anything without asking what it is. ;D
oh dude thats wrong.....on second thought its not a bad idea! :D :D

Offline walleyesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye & Perch the other white meat.
It's funny how the landlovers will eat anything. I give away 5-6lb and larger walleye and the relatives love it-yuk! I like 15" to 20" eyes for tablefair.
God created bass for those who can not catch walleye.

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Umm NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Tight Lines!   >=)))))))))))))))'> <'((((((((((((((((=<

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Oneida lakes walleyes are the same. I eat'em up like crazy. I only fish for them in cold water because I believe they are better eating. I would say more then none had a growth, but I will say that is the biggest growth I've ever seen. I always thought they where parasites but never did ask what it was because the growth never effected the meat or myself. All fish has there thing too. During the fall spawn of trout; look at the browns in the small waters they have the most discusting fungas coating them. But they lose it once they go back out in the lakes. DEC says its the iron and other lacking or over whelming nutrients in the water that does it to the fish, same goes for the walleye.

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's funny how the landlovers will eat anything. I give away 5-6lb and larger walleye and the relatives love it-yuk! I like 15" to 20" eyes for tablefair.
why kill them then let them grow >:(

Offline Simmy04548

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'd say NO. I would take it to F&W and get their say, if it was o.k. I would give it away and let someone else eat it if they wanted.
In the land of the blind. The one  eyed man is KING 

Offline basskiller46

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I swear I had a Bite"
:D :D ;D ;D

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
yuck  i couldnt eat that just seeing the mess on its head 

Offline Scales and Tails

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!!!
Why would you throw it on the bank. Here's an idea how about throwing it back. I love when people  b***h about how bad fishing is, but yet we have a person reply "throw it on the bank" thats a real sportsman.

Offline Finnish Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
lol no way.....do you know if its contagious to other fish?

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why would you throw it on the bank. Here's an idea how about throwing it back. I love when people  b***h about how bad fishing is, but yet we have a person reply "throw it on the bank" thats a real sportsman.

I think that's the same thing the guy down south said when he threw that snakehead back.

If it looks like it's detrimental to the fishery and I get my hands on it, it's dead.

Now I know better about this particular situation but when in doubt, I'm gonna throw it out. If it's the last one in the lake then it wasn't going to make much difference any way. It takes two to reproduce and if there are others and I caught the first one with some nasty contagious fish head fungus then I saved the rest.

One thing I will do is instead of throwing them on the bank, anyting too nasty to eat I'll put in a bag and save for ya'all. You can PM me your address and I'll start a rotation sending you the nastiest fish I catch just like the local Sheriff department does with road kill deer.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Questionable, if the meat looked good-than probably. Never saw anything quite like that. Doesnt appera to be a parasite.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Still not that hungry ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.