The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Last Trip To West Grand For The Year....  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Last Trip To West Grand For The Year....
« on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Wanna start with  BIG THANKS to John and Mary at Canalside Cabins!!!!! I had no idea that had shut down mostly due to lack bait. I figiured I wouldn’t call them back since they had closed everything up. The next day, Mary called to tell me John got a cabin ready for me!!! Thank you John and Mary!!!

Yesterday/Saturday

Started off wicked slow. Lake was covered with water and melting snow. By the end of the day there were several inches of water on the ice.  Hardly read any actively for the first two hours. I put out three tipups. All but one of the fish was caught on traps. Lots of flags besides but not may hookups. Caught the two lakers and two whitefish in the first spot after drilling lots of holes and moving around. Went down the lake toward evening and came up with two more whites. One on a tip-up and one jigging.

Today was MUCH better but started off pretty grim. Lake was froze up, like 3/4”,  but had substantial water under the ice it in places. I left the wheeler on the trailer and walked out. This is the first fish about about 11:00 into it.

At least I was reading fish! When I first got there I dropped a small glow and white tube to see if anybody was home. Yep! Three marks came right up. NO takers. Switched jigs and colors a few times.  They were there but not buying what I was selling... Yep, I put traps out again. Happily they stayed down except for one small white I cut off. Don’t know what turned them on, but about 1:00, they got active! Got six whites between 1 and 2:30 with lots of near misses and lookers in between. Keep 3 cookie cutter 18ishers and a small togue. The bite was still very active when i left. Figured to get home with some daylight left and some good memories and catches from WG! NO SKUNKS!

Tomorrow I’ll be cutting them, having a couple meals off the stove. the rest are going into some wine sauce pickling variations, like these:

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Last Trip To West Grand For The Year....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Nice catch! We were over on Junior lake same ice conditions, did start getting flags around 1 pm but came up with nothing, still a nice day as long as you stayed out of the wind. Again, way to stay after them.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Nice two days Joe. I have to admit I was a little leary on consuming your "Frankenstein" pickled creation but it was good! Don't eat all of it before your next trip South!

How the boys doing with all those live smelts?
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:19 AM »
Great report and nice fish.  I rented a cabin at West Grand Lodge up there about 5 years ago with my dog in June and caught salmon and lake trout.  Whitefish are on my bucket list.  Can you catch them on trolling spoons?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:30 AM »
Great report and nice fish.  I rented a cabin at West Grand Lodge up there about 5 years ago with my dog in June and caught salmon and lake trout.  Whitefish are on my bucket list.  Can you catch them on trolling spoons?
I wanna try a whitefish trip on open water. I hear tell it’s easier and lots of fun. Slow trolled or drifted small live bait or worms on trout spinners, small spoons and even flies when they on feeding on a hatch. I’ve heard some guys say they are a nuisance trolling for salmon. 
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Eagle lake in Allagash in spring use to be a blast with fly rod feeding on a hatch

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Nice catch clamfarmer.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:32 AM »
way to get emm. I miss that place ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.