Author Topic: Sled trailers  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
Sled trailers
« on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Alright guys I need some advice from some who have “been around the block”.  Just bought a 99 Polaris touring...want to get an enclosed trailer to store it in for the summer and tow it + gear back and forth on snowy/salty upstate ny roads hopefully for many winters to come.  Right now I’m leaning towards a 7’x14-17’ enclosed v nose trailer.  I have reverse so a drive in/drive out is not required.  Pulling with a hemi ram 1500.
* Coated/rustproof steel frame vs aluminum?  How critical is it to drop that extra money on the aluminum frame?
* Single vs double axle trailer?  How big of a deal is the double axle for towing stability?
* Am I stupid for thinking the aluminum clam style/hybrid sled trailers are a waste of money?  They just seem not as versatile and super flimsy.

Would like to keep this purchase at less than 4K, but willing to move up a little.  Give me some feedback.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sled trailers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Alright guys I need some advice from some who have “been around the block”.  Just bought a 99 Polaris touring...want to get an enclosed trailer to store it in for the summer and tow it + gear back and forth on snowy/salty upstate ny roads hopefully for many winters to come.  Right now I’m leaning towards a 7’x14-17’ enclosed v nose trailer.  I have reverse so a drive in/drive out is not required.  Pulling with a hemi ram 1500.
* Coated/rustproof steel frame vs aluminum?  How critical is it to drop that extra money on the aluminum frame?
* Single vs double axle trailer?  How big of a deal is the double axle for towing stability?
* Am I stupid for thinking the aluminum clam style/hybrid sled trailers are a waste of money?  They just seem not as versatile and super flimsy.

Would like to keep this purchase at less than 4K, but willing to move up a little.  Give me some feedback.

I like quality, something that will last, look good and hold it's re-sale value, that rules out a steel frame trailer.  Unless you wash the frame of a steel trailer every time after taking it out in the salt it will eventually rust, then there are rock chips, more rust.

I had a 7'X14' V nose at one time, if you ever want to haul a second big machine (like yours) it is a tight fit, there is not much extra space to throw in anything else.  I would want two axles, spreads out the load, less weight on the truck hitch, definetly better/safer to tow, you don't want the tail wagging the dog. 

Clamshells are a PIA from what I have seen and am not all that impressed with the hybrids either.

My current trailer is a 7.5'X24' Neo, extra tall (to accomodate a sideXside) with a front ramp, I could live without the front ramp.

If I was to order a new trailer in the size range you are looking at, it would be a 7'X16', all aluminum (sides and frame) with the option of the walk-in door on the drivers side for convience sake, you don't have to walk around the trailer to get to it, plus it gives you the ability to fuel the truck and snowmobile from the same side when at the pump (I have a fuel door, but think it is a waste of money).  The challenge will be to find something in your price range, but keep in mind good enclosed aluminum trailers are always in demand. 

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:12 AM »
i agree spend the money on aluminum.  I have a 6x12 v-nose that I use for hauling sled or 4 wheeler for fishing.  The trailer is plenty big enough but is small enough to easily pull and park at landings.  It can fit a 137" and a 154" tracked snowmobile in it together.

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:36 PM »
A 137” and a 154” in a 6x12....that’s a game changer.  Dropping to a 6x12 puts a new aluminum frame in my price range.  Good point also about parking...some of my spots are not really boat launches and I was already starting to feel some guilt about parking a 16’ trailer in these places.

I also like the point about the driver side door, and the lack of utility in the fuel doors.

Do you guys pulling vnose trailers use ski clamps to keep the sleds secured?...or just tie downs?

How about rv shows?  Anybody know if you can get a better deal on these trailers at a show?

I know I should just spend the money on what I want, but it’s kinda burning me up to drop 4K+ to store and haul an 800$ sled. 

Keep the input coming

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:41 PM »
Just an FYI this trailer is a legend trailer which is on the upper end of quality.  This trailer was $4600 before taxes.  Also you will find that you will use it for other uses then just hauling the snow machine around, just be careful your neighbors will be calling about using it.  I use ratchet straps for securing my cargo.  Not as easy as other methods but you never no what you are going to haul.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2019, 01:55 PM »
  Also you will find that you will use it for other uses then just hauling the snow machine around, just be careful your neighbors will be calling about using it.

I tell neighbours that Home Depot rents trailers, far cheaper than the deposit I want on my trailer.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Another upstate NYer here.  I had an open landscape trailer for the past few years.   It worked but was a pain to cover and uncover sled all the time, and road salt really ate into it quickly. 
I did just find a very good used hybrid trailer, all aluminum, made by Triton.  What a huge step up!  So nice to just pull in tie down the skis and back end, and have room on the other side for my shanty.  It tows very easily with my Ford Expidition.   I got a great deal, well under your price range, and it is in excellent shape.  I plan to store all my ice gear, plus sled in there for the summer, but I can imagine using it for quite a few other things.
My cousin has a full enclosed trailer and it is quite nice, but quite a bit heavier than my hyrid trailer.  I’m sure he spent a lot more.

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Alright...found a decent price on a 2015 vnose aluminum frame lightning trailer.  I know the lightning brand is coming in quite a bit cheaper than some other brands.  Not sure of the build quality...I need to go look at the trailer.  Biggest difference I can find is it has spring axles vs torsion axles on some of the pricier models.

Anybody have any experience with the lightning brand or spring vs torsion for winter towing?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Are you sure you want to spend that much for the trailer? I am kind of in the same boat, I got 2 sleds and a trailer for $1500, and have to put covers on the sleds all the time. I have been looking at a clamshell, but even that seems steep. If I had reverse on the sleds, I would be pretty happy with a clamshell tilt trailer, and they would sure pull easier than a walk in trailer. I am still dragging my old sleds backwards off an old steel tilt bed, which makes almost anything look good by comparison.
My $.02

:tipup:

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2019, 10:23 AM »
I have an aluminum 12' Triton clamshell that I bought used to haul my sled.  Pulls great and have traveled with it through some downright nasty weather with high crosswinds - was quite thankful during those times that it wasn't any taller.  I have reverse on my sled and typically back it off the trailer, but I do have the option of driving it off forward as the trailer bed is a v-nose. 

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Unless you are pulling a 6x12 enclosed with a car you will never know the trailer is back there.  Clam shell trailers are nice but can be a pain to load and and unload especially if they are tilt beds.  In my experience with many trailers is spend a little extra money and the trailer will last much longer.  Don't know anything about the trailer you are questioning but salt does a number to these trailers quality is king in the long run.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Alright...found a decent price on a 2015 vnose aluminum frame lightning trailer.  I know the lightning brand is coming in quite a bit cheaper than some other brands.  Not sure of the build quality...I need to go look at the trailer.  Biggest difference I can find is it has spring axles vs torsion axles on some of the pricier models.

Anybody have any experience with the lightning brand or spring vs torsion for winter towing?

Some of the cheaper brands use garbage hardware, screw heads that fall off or rust off in short order.  As for torsion vs spring suspension,  torsion can wear and sag a bit if you leave the trailer loaded all the time.  Leaf spring suspension can be replaced cheaper.   If you can, go with a dual axle trailer, they float much nicer behind a half ton, less porpoising.  If you have a 3/4T, it's not an issue.   

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:21 AM »
So what are the better brands out there. and which are the cheaper ones that one might want to avoid.....

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2019, 06:56 AM »
There are more cheaper brands then good ones.  Some of the higher qaulity aluminum trailer manufactures are Legend, Aluma, Triton.  Just remember that these companies also make less expensive models too.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2019, 08:14 AM »
I absolutely love my EZ Hauler. Would not trade it for anything. EZ Hauler would be considered one of the more budget oriented models. If you have any questions let me know, I've owned a bunch.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2019, 05:59 PM »
I had an E-Z Hauler that had the sides screwed on from the outside, it that the way yours is?

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Found the trailer I was looking for....got a 5 year old blizzard 7’x16’ double axle.  Blizzard is made here in ny and the frame is super rugged...larger tube dimensions than any of the other aluminum frame trailers I looked at.  This one was used for hauling mowers and was never hauled in the winter...looks pristine underneath.  Got it for 3500$.  Thanks again for all the help guys!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2019, 05:38 PM »
I bet in the end you will appreciate the 16' length.  Glad you found one.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2019, 12:52 PM »
I had an E-Z Hauler that had the sides screwed on from the outside, it that the way yours is?

Apologize for the very late response but no, all their trailers use 3M bond tape to attach the wall sheathing, just like most all of the manufacturers.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:59 AM »
I have an aluminum 12' Triton, a two sled clamshell type to haul my sled. I made a couple of mods... place a tie-down in the center to allow the loading/unloading of the sled completely ready for the ice. And mats and tracks to protect the trailer deck and to provide good footage.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:09 AM »
I have an aluminum 12' Triton, a two sled clamshell type to haul my sled. I made a couple of mods... place a tie-down in the center to allow the loading/unloading of the sled completely ready for the ice. And mats and tracks to protect the trailer deck and to provide good footage.
 (Image removed from quote.)

Bart, is the big, red thermos there what you use for bait? Always meant to ask when I've seen that picture.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Bart, is the big, red thermos there what you use for bait? Always meant to ask when I've seen that picture.

Yes, I have another one on the other side. Picked them up at a garage sale, .75 cents.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:37 PM »
I thought that was the new Eskimo dual purpose Kool aide/minnow keeper.... ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Yes, I have another one on the other side. Picked them up at a garage sale, .75 cents.

Genius! I struggle with bait buckets on the sled. Put plastic shopping bags around them or under the cover.. still end up spilling water. This year I got the Engel bait cooler which seals pretty good but the lid has frozen on me twice. Lucky I was using a shanty both of those days or I would have had to break the stupid thing. I like the thermos idea a lot and .75 cents is a lot less than that Engel.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Genius! I struggle with bait buckets on the sled. Put plastic shopping bags around them or under the cover.. still end up spilling water. This year I got the Engel bait cooler which seals pretty good but the lid has frozen on me twice. Lucky I was using a shanty both of those days or I would have had to break the stupid thing. I like the thermos idea a lot and .75 cents is a lot less than that Engel.

They don't leak. Going repeatedly for minnows, dribbling water on the treads, can make it difficult at times to get the lid off. For me it's only when fishing off the sled, I just leave  the lid lose until I decide where to set up the shanty, then it all gets thawed out. You do have me thinking, I may try some wax on the threads?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2019, 02:39 PM »
or I heard a little vaseline on those engel coolers around the lids...or on the threads, would probably work just as well...im contemplating an engel cooler this year.....although the last couple years I almost have quit using tip ups...love jigging and moving....but def going to make a more concerted effort this year to at least set up a couple....I'll be doing a little bow hunting in Wi this fall, Im thinking I might find a good deal on a trailer up there.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2019, 08:34 AM »
or I heard a little vaseline on those engel coolers around the lids...or on the threads, would probably work just as well...im contemplating an engel cooler this year.....although the last couple years I almost have quit using tip ups...love jigging and moving....but def going to make a more concerted effort this year to at least set up a couple....I'll be doing a little bow hunting in Wi this fall, Im thinking I might find a good deal on a trailer up there.

The Engel is nice, and yes I have heard about using Vaseline on the seal. It's almost entirely watertight which is great. Once a season I try to fish a VERY remote lake in Northwestern Maine that can only be accessed by a 30 mile sled ride. My smelts get awful beat up on that ride in, usually only half survive at best. I may try a thermos this year.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2019, 05:35 PM »
For car door seals, manufacturers recommend silicone grease. It repels water, and provides lubrication. That might be good for the cooler seals as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.