Author Topic: Tube jigs for Lakers rattle or no?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tube jigs for Lakers rattle or no?
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:15 PM »
So I got some new molds in and I've been playing around with making some jigs.
Made up some smaller stuff for rainbows and landlocked salmon and what not
Also made a few tube jigs for lake trout.
A couple of the new molds I bought allow me to cast in a rattle into the tube jigs.
I've never fished rattle baits much in the winter time.
But I'm thinking it can't hurt to try these jigs with rattles anyway.
I made up some 5/8, 3/4, and 1 ounce jigs with the rattles molded in.
1 oz is the largest size that this mold makes.
I could just as easily make some without the rattles but I figured it really can't hurt so why not?
I've been contemplating asking the maker of this mold if he can make me one in larger sizes say up to 2 oz but I know it wouldn't be cheap and I'm not sure if I really need the larger sizes?
It is a CNC machine mold not a stocked sandcast mold.
Next is some underspins and slab jigs.
Anyway all opinions welcome!

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tube jigs for Lakers rattle or no?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:21 PM »
YES especially if there's bonus burbot involved!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:31 PM »
YES especially if there's bonus burbot involved!
Yes there are definitely burbot in many of the Lakes I'm fishing as well.
Are you saying that burbot prefer the noise of a rattle?

KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:33 PM »
Very interesting.  How do they balance in the water with a tube on.  The balance is key so they swim a proper circle.  Tube size plays a big part in how the jig swims and balances so getting the right tube will be important.  Also how are the hooks?  I’m assuming your using them for lakers so a super strong super sharp hook is a must.  I think if you get them to swim they should work awesome especially for burbot.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:34 PM »
I did shoot off an email to the maker of this mold to see if he is interested in making me one in the larger sizes and what the cost would be.
I know he stays pretty busy so I'm not sure if he is interested in making a larger mold.
But I figure it can't hurt to ask and see what he would charge me.
With any luck he already has the CAD work done and can knock one out fairly quickly after the holidays.
But as with any good Craftsman he's busy and only takes the work he wants to do so I will have to wait and see.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:43 PM »
The only 2 sizes I use are 1/2 ounce and 1 ounce weights so unless your using 10 inch tubes I don’t think going heavier would be needed.  Kodiak customs has been making lead heads for tubes and they balance and swim amazing.  I’ve used the same style of jig you have and I had a real hard time getting them to swim.  I noticed the jig tends to dive as opposed to swimming the circle and trust me when I say the circle is everything.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:48 PM »
Very interesting.  How do they balance in the water with a tube on.  The balance is key so they swim a proper circle.  Tube size plays a big part in how the jig swims and balances so getting the right tube will be important.  Also how are the hooks?  I’m assuming your using them for lakers so a super strong super sharp hook is a must.  I think if you get them to swim they should work awesome especially for burbot.
I just got them cast so I haven't selected a tube for them yet or gotten them wet.
I'm not the first one to purchase one of his rattle tube jig molds and others seem to be happy with the way they work.
Of course they're using the smaller size mold for bass excetera.
A mold I also purchased.
Hooks seem pretty stout and sharp. It called for a 4/0 Mustad 32798 or a 4/0 Mustad 32729.
I ordered the 32798 and that's what I cast in these ones but I'm going to place an order for the 32729 here shortly.
Kind of wish he had designed it around an Owner hook but he's the one doing the CAD work and making the mold so this is what he designed.
I may have to see if owner makes a hook similar enough  to the mustad one this calls for that would fit in the mold.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:53 PM »
The only 2 sizes I use are 1/2 ounce and 1 ounce weights so unless your using 10 inch tubes I don’t think going heavier would be needed.  Kodiak customs has been making lead heads for tubes and they balance and swim amazing.  I’ve used the same style of jig you have and I had a real hard time getting them to swim.  I noticed the jig tends to dive as opposed to swimming the circle and trust me when I say the circle is everything.
I have some other tube jig molds but the largest they make is 3/8 ounce.
That's the largest mold that Do-It makes.
I'll have to do some testing of these but it'll be a while cuz I'm headed to the slope tomorrow.
I may have to check with some other vendors to see what size tube jig molds they have.
But there aren't a lot of mold makers out there so pretty limited supply.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:14 AM »
Just realized do it came out with a new tube mold this year that goes up to 3/4 oz. It's a traditional style tube mold.
So I've got one on order.
Problem is it uses the eagle claw 570 hook which is a great hook for pan fish walleye and bass. But not so much for big lake trout.
I did order some owner hooks that should fit the mold as well. Though those hooks cost twice as much and you only get 25 hooks instead of a hundred.
But I guess it's worth it not to lose a big Laker to a hook breaking off.
KasilofChrisN

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:49 AM »
I've always found tube jig heads with the eyelet at the forward end of the lead end up tail-down.  I agree with Akh. that circles are deadly, but most of all I cherish a 2-3 degree nose-down resting position, that I don't have to mess around with an extra-tight knot to get.

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I've found rattle lures to both attract and detract fish (lake trout).  During slow periods where I'm not marking any fish (lake trout) I've put on a rip'n'rap and attracted or brought fish in.  I've also had fish come in and had the rip'n'rap spook them away.   

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:55 PM »
With the rattle tube molds it would be easy enough to mold them without the rattles.
But I have to wonder how that would affect the balance of the jig since it was designed with the rattle?
I guess only testing will determine it's effectiveness and how they run.
KasilofChrisN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.