The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: How Far North for Safe Ice  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Treasure Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In search of treasure...
How Far North for Safe Ice
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Haven't seen too many reports in general except the crazy guy who went out on Gull Lake.  Wow!  All kinds of stupid there.

How far North or East do we have to travel from Kent County to find some safe ice?  3" or more.

Thanks and wishing everyone a great and safe season!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How Far North for Safe Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I would check with the bait shops around Houghton and Cadillac, saw a report early week for 5 in at Houghton.  I checked out a lake a few miles from the house Sunday and it was locked up but did not have any activity on it yet.  I will be checking this weekend with the spud hope to wet a line close to home if too sketchy I may have to head to Cadillac.

Offline Treasure Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In search of treasure...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Thanks netminder.  Just checked the radar and the rain is gonna make a big mess of whatever ice there is around Kent County.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Rain isnt all that detrimental to ice as long as warm winds dont accompany it... That is by no means a green light to go out becuase the ice we do have is paper thin.... But it shouldnt get beat too bad unless it gets windy... Then the water will open back up
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:57 AM »
          I traveled to the Canadian lakes area Tuesday night, didn't check the thickness of the ice but saw four wheeler tracks and a ton of foot traffic so I got on for a few hours .

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:31 AM »
Haven't seen too many reports in general except the crazy guy who went out on Gull Lake.  Wow!  All kinds of stupid there.

How far North or East do we have to travel from Kent County to find some safe ice?  3" or more.

Thanks and wishing everyone a great and safe season!

Found 4" on one lake in Barry County on Wednesday but no fish. Today?...probably not so much. :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jaxom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Call Pilrams Village in Cadillac I was up there a few days ago and they where all over little cove not sure of how much ice but this warm up  will slow it down a bit.

I am in Big Rapids and not had a chance to check any of my lakes but I bet Chipawa lake's bay is ok call East Bay party store for an ice report for Chipawa lake.

Good luck and be safe!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2018, 04:59 AM »
Well, the rain did hurt. A buddy went out yesterday and checked some lakes in Barry County we were on earlier in the week...not good. Looks like it's going to be awhile now.  :'(
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Call Pilrams Village in Cadillac I was up there a few days ago and they where all over little cove not sure of how much ice but this warm up  will slow it down a bit.

I am in Big Rapids and not had a chance to check any of my lakes but I bet Chipawa lake's bay is ok call East Bay party store for an ice report for Chipawa lake.

Good luck and be safe!

I fished Mitchell in front of Pilgrim Village last Monday the 10th.  I had 4 inches of good ice out to 16 ft, where it abruptly went to about 1.5 to 2".  Be careful.  I did manage to find a bunch of perch...unfortunately all but a dozen were too small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.