The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Garmin lakevu  (Read 782 times)

Offline PeaceandQuiet

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin lakevu
« on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Anyone out there have the garmin lakevu for a handheld gps? I have an Oregon 450, and the lakevu software is available for it but I’m hesitant to spend $150 and then find out it’s not that good, or worse yet, doesn’t even cover the down-east Maine lakes I usually fish. Thanks

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin lakevu
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:54 PM »
This free download on your phone works pretty well and it has lots of options like dropping pin and breadcrumb trails (Gaia gps maps)

Offline PeaceandQuiet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Yeah, I have some good phone apps but looking to not use it on the ice much, like the idea of contour maps in a more durable, and cheaper to replace gps.

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I have had and used a handheld with lake maps for several years. The map depths are not as exact by gps as you would think. Some of it could be explained by fluctuations in water level but even lakes that don't fluctuate by more than a couple feet can be off by around 10feet of depth. Don't expect to go out and drill a hole and have it exact. That being said I would spend the money again. The contour lines may be off in exact location but will get you to where you want to be a lot faster. If you like to fish different bodies of water often especially large lakes like Sebago, or lake Champlain then it will be worth it, if your only going to fish the same spots you have for years it will not help in any way.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:48 AM »
 (Gaia gps maps) And a Flasher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.