Author Topic: 6 inch Nils hand auger  (Read 1583 times)

Offline RedLund

• IceShanty Rookie
6 inch Nils hand auger
« on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Has anyone ever had there nils bit resharpened? Where would you send it off to, the only place I could find was in Michigan. Also, thinking about buying the drill adapter conversion plate, would like to know opinions on it if you have ever used a drill on the nils, I have used a K-drill and was wondering if the nils compares close to it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: 6 inch Nils hand auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:32 AM »

Here  is the go to guy for nils sharping
http://and I use 1 with a drill no problem
218-7297941
Send Blade to:
Frank DeLuca
5382 Jentoft Rd
Saginaw, MN 55779

Thank You,
Frank DeLuca

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Nils works the drill less than a k drill but the replacement blades  are expensive and sending them to get sharpened is a hassle. So I am trying a 7 in Nero mini auger this year haven't used it yet but I'm going to this weekend.

Offline RedLund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Yeah, Ive had mine about 6 seasons now and the bit doesn't cut like it used to, and the replacement bits are about the cost of a whole new setup. So Im considering buying the drill adapter to squeeze a few more years of life out of the bit and save my arms for jigging.  The first time I used a K drill was up in glacial lakes last year with 20 inches of ice, I didn't have lithium ion drill set up and was just using 18v dewalt, It took a battery per hole to drill. With a newer drill set up the K drill performs nicely but it doesn't wow me enough to justify buying one. The first time I used the Nils by hand, it did wow me how fast it would drill.

Offline iowahfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Sent my 8 inch auger blade in last year took 1 week to get back works good as new.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Frank is awesome.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:59 PM »
got a nero 7" this year and damn it cuts nice,got the drill kit and have not even bothered to use it. cuts through 7-9in in about 7-9 seconds. some other gas augers on the pond where i was fishing so had a secret race with them(they didnt know we were racing) but i destroyed them 2 to 1. granted they didnt know we were racing and they could have had heirloom blades from their grand pappy,but literally i punched 2 to their one. i always sharpen my own blades so im little help on that front,but from everything ive heard nills is the best there is. good luck
I hate not fishing

Offline Cold_Toes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:34 AM »
We have been using the 8" Nils and a Milwakee cordless for a couple years now!  Love it.  Have a gas auger for sale.  :)
Tight lines   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline RedLund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:41 PM »
yeah I ended up making a drill adapter for my 6 inch nils, it kicks ass now. Don't know if I could ever go back to hand cranking holes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.