Author Topic: I lightened up my gear once again.  (Read 1116 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I lightened up my gear once again.
« on: Sep 18, 2018, 07:39 AM »
I got my gear now so lite if I didn't have the Shappell Wide house I could put it all in a back pack and carry my auger. Well Of course I couldn't get the Mr Buddy in there either so I still have to have a sled. Some day it would be nice to just pull up to a lake hop out of the car put on your back pack and go. I have sold off tons of unused items this past year including 10-12 rods and reels pole holders Gas auger and not to mention all the open water stuff I got rid of. Sold over 100 Lures also.
I know a lot of us older guys are going as lite as we can now.

I have a little boat (Bass Baby) by Bass Hunter I had been throwing into the back of the truck. I bought a 5x8 Trailer with the drop down gate so I could just roll it up into it. Well that wasn't as easy as I wanted it to be. SO I bought a Winch and welded it on the trailer. Couldn't use the handle on the winch because of the frame work. So I now use my Ridgid drill and pull the boat into the trailer. The older I get the easier I want things. THe wife thinks it is her job to pull the trigger on the drill and load it.
<===Lefty===

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I lightened up my gear once again.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2018, 07:51 AM »
I'm not that old but lately for hunting and fishing I'm taking the minimalist approach and find it more rewarding. The less stuff I take out the better. Some days all I have is my hand auger, 6.5 gallon bucket, two poles and ice scoop. I keep a small box of jigs in my coat pocket and have another pocket for plastics. Depth weight, small pliers and nail clippers all go in my jacket. Makes it really easy to hop around. Even the days I take my shanty I try not to take much.

I see guys with sled loads of stuff and they spend more time fiddling around with it than fishing. Or they haul it out there and don't use hardly any of it. There's been multiple times I've gone out with guys and have 10 fish on the ice before they are even setup.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Same here.  I have a backpack and carry my auger.   If I use a sled it's one of those little kiddy sleds. Weighs like 2 lbs.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:42 AM »
There's definitely something to be said about going minimalist, especially on those very cold days where you don't want to be messing around with a bunch of stuff before being able to hunker down in the shack.

I've definitely pared down my gear on the ice, mainly in the rod department.  I used to carry a rifle case with 5 poles, 3 of which I hardly ever touched.  Now, I just take 2, and choose which 2 based on the species or lake.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2018, 09:39 AM »
that's great that your wife enjoys doing what you like to do. that says a lot!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2018, 09:41 AM »
I started last year thinking how little/ lite  can I make myself and each time out my gear got alittle less and less. I also sold off my extras and here in a few weeks I'll be doing another purge. I would be heavier  if I used a backpack for gear.
 I have a Marcum showdown 5.6 with 2 rod holders mounted to the side of the case. Bait and lures in my chest pockets also on chest I have hemostats cold snap ice pick and line cutters. Drink in side pocket. My plastic ice scoop on a t-reign hooked to hip. Milwaukee/Nils Auger cold snap cover in my other hand. I kneel or stand right on the ice and can move quick.
When is windy /raining really crappy I take a sled but its pretty basic. If I could get better with plastics and ditch bait pucks and live bait I'd have the sled basically empty, my only real addition is a buddy heater and cooking gear in a milkcrake setup. I use battery puck lights and battery hammock string  lights. If I take minnows they go in a small igloo thermos with a micro bubbler.
Although I can say some times I do enjoy hearing the ping of the Jawjackers and have some secondary action if the jig is slow, or I have someone else along just so they dont get bored.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:07 AM »
I'm afraid to admit, she is out fishing me a lot lately.
<===Lefty===

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Lighter here too. I do have and usually bring my Shappell fx 50 just for the sled and wind break to cover what gear I do bring from getting snow/rain on it; consists of my auger/drill and 1 bucket w/4 rods locked and loaded. My other 2 rods are attached to my locator with the extended handle. Jigs, small spool of line, hemos, needle-nose and bait are in my pockets. Skimmer with extended handle is attached to my jacket. If I'm running tip-ups, then there is a little more to bring: extra (6") auger, minnow bucket and 2 tip-ups. That's it... no food, heaters, lights, etc. (maybe a couple bottles of water) True run-n-gunner from hole to hole...and from the truck and back.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:28 PM »
I bring very little. I'm always amused at the young teenagers hauling a huge 2-3 person out with 2 propane tanks 3-4 5 gallon buckets 2 augers etc. Ah youth how I wish I had it yet.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Ive lightened my load every year for the last 5 years..hell i dont even bring my buddies barely anymore.lol

sunniewally

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2018, 03:18 PM »
I'm afraid to admit, she is out fishing me a lot lately.

That's a good thing!! Nothing like having a fishing buddy like that! That is a big treasure. Few will have that. I sure miss mine.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:31 PM »
I bring very little. I'm always amused at the young teenagers hauling a huge 2-3 person out with 2 propane tanks 3-4 5 gallon buckets 2 augers etc. Ah youth how I wish I had it yet.

:thumbsup: Been there done that. Not as bad draggin' out - settin' up. I dreaded the takin' down - haulin' back...just wasn't  as much fun. I also went with only 2 rods and tied on new jigs when I'd lose one. Now I'm 6 rods ready to go. Much more time fishing...and more productive...when not dealing with the "mess".
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I admire you guys, I would like to go lighter but always end up packing more. I bought the Wilcraft so at least I won't be dragging everything. I will probably cut back on things I take one of these years. I am going to be getting rid of my gas augers. But I will continue with everything else.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2018, 09:15 PM »
If I don’t take my hub shelter out, other than my auger and my rod case, I can fit everything I need for a day in a 6 gallon bucket. I try to be as minimalist as I possibly can. Even if I do take my hub, the only other thing I bring is that and my sled. And of course a spud bar for early/late ice.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:46 PM »
... Well Of course I couldn't get the Mr Buddy in there either so I still have to have a sled...
A Mr. Heater Cooker is even lighter and you can take the heater/frame apart to pack smaller.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.