The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Opinions - 8” Mora hand auger vs. Eskimo’s equivalent  (Read 3658 times)

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
I’m thinking of going to a less aggressive 8” auger for my Milwaukee Fuel 1200#/Clam Plate setup.  I currently use a 8” Lazer, but I feel it’s a little to much for the setup, although I love how the setup handles my 6” and 7” Lazers.  Who knows the differences between Strikemaster’s Mora and Eskimo’s equivalent “dual flat blade” model?  Each of their design idea seems to look identical.  I don’t have any experienced with Eskimo hand augers.  I know I’ve heard talk about “make sure you get the one that’s has these blades, don’t by these blades but if you do, switch out to these blades, etc.”
Thanks for any input from everyone.
BTW…I’m not going to lie, I like how Eskimo’s red auger compliments the Milwaukee Fuel red drill!! But I guess that’s kind of a superficial requirement?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Opinions - 8” Mora hand auger vs. Eskimo’s equivalent
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:50 PM »
I’m thinking of going to a less aggressive 8” auger for my Milwaukee Fuel 1200#/Clam Plate setup.  I currently use a 8” Lazer, but I feel it’s a little to much for the setup, although I love how the setup handles my 6” and 7” Lazers.  Who knows the differences between Strikemaster’s Mora and Eskimo’s equivalent “dual flat blade” model?  Each of their design idea seems to look identical.  I don’t have any experienced with Eskimo hand augers.  I know I’ve heard talk about “make sure you get the one that’s has these blades, don’t by these blades but if you do, switch out to these blades, etc.”
Thanks for any input from everyone.
BTW…I’m not going to lie, I like how Eskimo’s red auger compliments the Milwaukee Fuel red drill!! But I guess that’s kind of a superficial requirement?

So you want to know about this setup?

All flat blade hand augers are the same design. Different brand blades are able to be put on the augers. I've owned an HT, Eskimo, and strikemaster mora. The only difference I could tell was the color they were painted for the most part.

With the HT hand augers the blades were cheap chineese steel.....they go dull in just a hand full of holes and won't keep sharp for crap.

With The Eskimo it had steel blades from China, but It kept an edge fairly well and lasted many holes....I didn't have a problem with the blades. They were good but the sweeden blades stay sharp longer.

With the strikemaster Mora it has the steel blades from sweeden witch stay sharp, hold an edge and Last the longest.

So, If I was you I'd get the cheaper Eskimo so it matches your setup. When you buy your spare set of blades just purchase the strikemaster blades made in sweeden to put on it when the original ones dull.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2018, 04:08 AM »
I own both the 8” strikemaster lazer and the 8” Eskimo “mora”. I also use the 1200# Milwaukee with the Clam plate. I don’t have any concerns about turning the lazer. Works like a champ and I love it. I did notice, however,  that the Eskimo did seem to be slightly easier on the drill and it did cut ever so slightly smoother. Could be the different blade styles. I’m not sure. Both sets of blades are roughly 7-8 seasons old though but I don’t see a need to replace either set for a few more seasons. Both still cut great on my drill.

As far as the difference between SM mora and Eskimo’s equivalent, well, ones black and the other is red. Other than where the blades are made, I don’t see any significant difference for the price. The blades on the Eskimo have seemed to hold up very well for being Chinese blades. Basically, what Agronomist said. I’d go with the Eskimo (and occasionally I actually do, makes a great backup to the lazer). You really shouldn’t have any issues. I haven’t with mine.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Thanks guys for the info.
I’m surprised the Mora and Eskimo use the same blade mounts and hole patterns.....who knows, maybe they’re made by the same people?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Thanks guys for the info.
I’m surprised the Mora and Eskimo use the same blade mounts and hole patterns.....who knows, maybe they’re made by the same people?

I doubt that there are many places that manufacture ice augers. My guess is a common manufacturer makes them for just about all the companies.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Is an 8" too much to run on a Ridgid hammer drill?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Is an 8" too much to run on a Ridgid hammer drill?

If it is 700in/lb + you will be fine. I would suggest a brushless drill though. A brushless drill has a lot longer life and takes abuse better then a brushed drill.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2018, 07:53 AM »
I worked for a wholesale fence company. We made Sears Chain Link Gates and Montgomery Wards Gates. All the same materials except for the Emblems. I also worked for a Wholesale Bakery Company. We made Bread,Donuts,Cake and other mixes for at least 7 different companies. All the same ingredients just a different box. Red and White,Parade,Nobel Sysco,Code,Gilster Marylee and others. All the same just different labels.
SO yea I bet there is just one person making all the augers and painting then different colors. Nil's is most likely making their own though.
<===Lefty===

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:35 PM »
I worked for a wholesale fence company. We made Sears Chain Link Gates and Montgomery Wards Gates. All the same materials except for the Emblems. I also worked for a Wholesale Bakery Company. We made Bread,Donuts,Cake and other mixes for at least 7 different companies. All the same ingredients just a different box. Red and White,Parade,Nobel Sysco,Code,Gilster Marylee and others. All the same just different labels.
SO yea I bet there is just one person making all the augers and painting then different colors. Nil's is most likely making their own though.

There are Moras that come from Rapala and their heritage is questionable. Some have blades marked "Rapala VMC Corp. with no Made In ??? anywhere on the blades. Some have blades marked made in Sweden and these are the good ones. I've also seen Mora augers with an offset handle (made in Sweden). These are the thoroughbreds.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:11 PM »
The Mini Nero has an offset handle as well.
<===Lefty===

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:02 PM »
The Mini Nero has an offset handle as well.
I tried the Nero on the Milwaukee MudMixer. The SHOCK when breaking through was something else. The auger cut faster than anything I ever tried but it was scary on the breakthrough. My opinion, most augers with the side handle will fail sometime soon.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:49 PM »
I tried the Nero on the Milwaukee MudMixer. The SHOCK when breaking through was something else. The auger cut faster than anything I ever tried but it was scary on the breakthrough. My opinion, most augers with the side handle will fail sometime soon.

Just like with lazer augers, they cut aggressively.  When using that style, don’t let the pull itself down so fast. lift up slightly as it works and it’ll make a clean breakthrough.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Yes that is my opinion on the Nero. Scary fast. I learned fast not to let it pull me down. Once I learned it it hardly ever caught.
<===Lefty===

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Yes that is my opinion on the Nero. Scary fast. I learned fast not to let it pull me down. Once I learned it it hardly ever caught.

Problem is, the augers cut so well and weigh so little everyone in the group wants to try it or use it to drill a few jigging holes over there.
Saying no means at lunch time you're not invited to the meal prepared by Tommy Flay.
Tommy is Bobby's older brother. Taught him everything he knows.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:45 AM »
Drilled quite a few holes last year for others that either couldn't get their auger running or I saw them sitting there with 2 guys pushing down on a gas auger and going nowhere. I explained to them that no pressure is needed if you have the blades sharp and even told one guy how to sharpen his auger. It was an old Eskimo Barracuda.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.