Author Topic: Still lots of ice here.  (Read 1899 times)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Still lots of ice here.
« on: Apr 19, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Hi all,

Been a long winter, warming up now but still below zero at night for the next 10 days and with 30"+ of ice still a few more fish to pull through a hole or two.

Been slammin' crappie on Lake Wabigoon this year on the ice, very convenient for me as our house is on the lake, and before or after work now its getting lighter does enough to scratch the itch.

Got out last week for an evening session, managed to get enough crappie for a good feed and then headed back to the front of the house to try for walleye, only got a few small sauger and walleye which went back, but got to hang out with my kid and dog before the boy's bedtime.

Long video...but fun.

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Still lots of ice here.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Great video and beautiful country! 

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Great that the temps and later days make it easier to get the boy out more! What is the feeling for ice out up there this year? Have my yearly trip for the opener on Lac Seul and worried may get bumped due to ice on the lake, has happened before...
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Ice out on Lac Seul for opener may be nip and tuck this year, but with the above freezing temps the last few days, it makes one more optimistic.  Snow is melting, my gravel lot has no snow, I had to put wheels on the skis of my snowmobile in order to cross the lot to get to snow, so I can get on the lake.  The ice is still ice auger deep.  On the positive side, my wife says a nearby creek is starting to open up, she and a buddy are going kayaking on it Thursday to look for migrating ducks.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Yeah, we go up the the Northeast end up in Chamberlin Narrows, ice is usually gone up there just have to get through the other 40 miles of lake to get there... Is there a spring season on duck there or just sightseeing?
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2018, 07:25 AM »
The thing about Lac Seul is all the water flow through that system, parts of it never freeze much, open water channels visible at times when I fly over in the winter. Do you go in at Deception or the Hudson landing?  No spring duck season here, my wife and her buddies just like to paddle/look for different species of migratory birds as they travel through.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Deception landing, the north end doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the south flow pushing everything down to the landing... Guess we'll cross our fingers and see

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.