The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Great pond Cape E.  (Read 1400 times)

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great pond Cape E.
« on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:18 PM »
wondering if anyone has fished here in the past couple years. just moved back up to south portland for work and saw that its only a 10 minute drive from my apartment. might give this place a try to kill an afternoon or mornings before work. I checked the pond today, there was about 3 inches of soft ice then a couple inches of water, then about 1 inch of solid black ice. didn't venture out too far. also wondering if anyone buys bait off the guy on fowler rd. saw he had a live bait sign on his garage.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great pond Cape E.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I fish there a few times every year, only about 3 minutes from my house.  Lots of pickerel, a few yellow perch, and a few bass - a good place to go if you have a few hours to kill and just want to see some flags.  I'd heard there was a bait guy near the pond, but never noticed the sign.  I was planning to try it in a few more days after the cold nights we're supposed to have firm things up a bit.

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:44 PM »
where are you parking? I parked on fenway rd. couldn't see the sign that said no parking in the culdesac, the lady in the house gave me hell for it but said I can park on the road.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2012, 06:26 PM »
I have heard some big bass in there from a fly guy,I want to try it with my 7 yr old daughter probaly more exciting than goin for finicky trout. About parking maybe Fowler rd.if the people on Fenway whine.I have only bought shiners from Johnsons sportings on congress in this area. I would like to know what the guy on Fowlers has.Maybe bait for lobster traps not far from Kettle cove.lol

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:00 PM »
be careful i checked the ice tuesday and it is sketchy ... the lady at the house is a real pain in the back side the guy has been sellin bait there for many years... alot of warm water species....in there,,,, give me a shout im in south portland.... and fish alot around southern maine.....going tommorow if the ice permits ....

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:04 PM »
don't waste your time there. dinkey perch and the occasional average sized bass

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:16 PM »
kids pond kinda.... but fishing close to home is good sometimes when you have kids......

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:41 PM »
thanks guys, nitro I will be in touch.

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:06 PM »
ten four gonna hit it wet boots or not tommorow.....pm me i fish any time you want..... every other weekend  my fishing time due to wifes work....

Offline SALTY BAY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:50 AM »
don't waste your time there. dinkey perch and the occasional average sized bass
LOL, Hey don't be such a Debbie Downer! I heard it was a good place to get flags and kill time and that's what he said he was looking for! Beats sitting on the couch if it's close.

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Lotta pickerel. Very shallow, 5' max I believe.

Offline loonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:36 AM »
 I too just moved to South Portland and was thinking about bringing my girlfriend out there to try and get her bunch of flags. is there crappie or white perch in the pond?

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:39 AM »
I too just moved to South Portland and was thinking about bringing my girlfriend out there to try and get her bunch of flags. is there crappie or white perch in the pond?

no

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_maps/cumberland/great_pond.pdf

everything you need to know

Offline 13Crappiesnatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:43 AM »

Yes there are crappie in there now. The summer of 2016 we caught 4 in the short hour we were there. I have heard since then, more has been caught. As far as we know we were the first to report them to the state.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.