Author Topic: Rod weight and action for spring bobbers.  (Read 5930 times)

Offline other_robin

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod weight and action for spring bobbers.
« on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:26 PM »
I've been reading up on spring bobbers and their use and have been a little confused about what type of rod to use them on.

I've got a couple on ultralight rods, but I think the rod and bobber combo move too much when jigging, I'm thinking something stiffer would be better. Does action matter as much with the spring bobber as a strike indicator?

How about material? Any reason to go with graphite over fiberglass? I've got some solid fiberglass rods that might do the trick. I'm thinking a fast or tip flexing action would be good.

Thanks
Robin

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rod weight and action for spring bobbers.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I like 26”-28” ML action graphite rods, gives me enough backbone for quick solid hook sets in the flip over and have caught panfish to bass to 6lb Northern pike on them.

Offline other_robin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Thanks, I've got something like that on hand, it's got a pretty even bend through the blank (cheap rod). Any downsides to this?

Do you guys use the spring bobber to help your jigging motion or just to see the strikes?

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Thanks, I've got something like that on hand, it's got a pretty even bend through the blank (cheap rod). Any downsides to this?

Do you guys use the spring bobber to help your jigging motion or just to see the strikes?
You’ll have to try it and see if it works for you. I was sharing what I like and everyone is different.... yes to jigging and strikes..... when trying to attract fish I’ll jig more aggressively, once they are on the screen I’ll normally slow that down and the jig is actually more a contraction of my fingers than in the wrist, I’ve found this helps to mimic their prey better than the more aggressive jigging motion... if that’s not working, I keep trying different thing and see how the fish respond until, if I’m lucky enough, I find what makes them hit again.
Hope this helps.

Offline other_robin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2017, 05:04 PM »
It does, thanks

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:06 PM »
i like ultra light rods 24-26in , Most of them i use a titanium spring bobber for the days that the bluegill are not aggressive on the hit and for crappie because sometime all you will see is the up bite. I am tring a new rod (the snitch) with no spring bobber to see if it works. good luck
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2017, 07:06 PM »
the lighter the action of the rod, the lighter weight line you can use. for pan fish you should use ultra light action. try 2 pound test.

the strike indicator is just that. frabill titanium is the best i've used and adjustable for different weight jigs.

Offline other_robin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:57 PM »
I've tried using the medium light rod and feel like it's a little better than ultralight. Seemed to miss less hookups as well.

Going to keep looking in this direction as I'd like to find a few rods to have at least 3 jigs tied on when going out.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Have you checked out the Beaver Dam Titanium Tipstick? ML carbon rod with a retractable titanium spring bobber. I have one and like it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.