Author Topic: Leaders  (Read 3865 times)

JV

Leaders
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 04:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me which they prefer for pike fishing, Flourocarbon leaders or steel leaders?
Thanks.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:Leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 06:43 PM »
JV
Its not what we prefer its what the Pike wants. Are they Leader shy or do they hit a old boot if you drop it down the hole. Me I have both in hand when I'm out
Cold Feet

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:37 PM »
Pike are such an aggresive fish I don't think that it matters what you use. If they are hungry, they are going to eat your bait. I would'nt trust flourocarbon just because you can cut it with a knife. I prefer using at least an 8" black steel leader just to make sure they don't cut through it.

howey  

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:30 PM »
Southbend makes a steel one that I use, it's called invisaleader and Walmart carries them. Very thin and strong and I have also caught bass on them so they don't seem to scare the fish. :'(
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

JV

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:08 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'll try both to see what works better.
JV

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:03 PM »
Over the years I have experimented with wire and mono leaders for Pike.Too many to count.I have to say I had more hits with the mono and use nothing else.I don't loose fish either.Don't horse them and you'll be surprised at the results.I have caught many 15lb Pike on 8lb mono and #16 treble while fishing for lakers.alot of guys seem to be in a hurry and bring them in to quick.The the fishes actions dictate how you retrieve the line.

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:07 AM »
i like steel the best

pikelane

Re: Leaders
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:32 AM »
i'm sorry, i have had a lot of guys tell me to lose my leader because you'll get more action from your sucker, i have lost 4 pike in a row, one was too big to get through the 6inch hole, (only hand auger they had)  i wrestled him for 5 min. until he scissored my line, sure wish i had a steel leader on that one, yesterday after losing 3 fish in 2 hours, i headed to the store for leaders, try it again this morning...

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:47 AM »
I use 50 pound flourocarbon with great success. I have only had two fish bite me off in three seasons and one was a fish playing mistake on my part. If you are fishing in heavily fished waters as I am in Massachusetts I would recommend the flourocarbon. You will get more fish and flags in the long run with flourocarbon, just make sure to play the fish. If your not confident with flourocarbon the invis. leaders from southbend do work good.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 12:10 AM »
Have to agree with the Fluro or Mono Leaders. I have seen a huge increase in number and size of northerns I have caught this year since I have gone to fluro.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Ice Troll

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2004, 10:15 AM »
Look at this stuff.......Solves both problems of leader strength and line shy fish. Best stuff ever made in my opinion and it works.

www.tackledirect.com/malinboanokink.html

Ice Troll

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2004, 02:34 PM »
I'm planning to experiment this weekend with braided line.  I rigged two traps with 40 lb. spiderline.  It is thin but really stong and seems to be abrasion resistant.  Anyone tried this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.