Author Topic: Best Jigging Lure For Pike  (Read 8406 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Best Jigging Lure For Pike
« on: Oct 30, 2004, 02:27 AM »
What have you guys had really good luck for pikies on for lures? I have tried spoons, swimming baits, and even tubes with almost no sucess. Then again our pike fishing sucks around here, through the ice especially. I have also heard some people claim that jigging works better for pike than tip ups. I know that jigging sure seems to work better for lake trout and walleyes than tip ups do around here anyway. From my experience though, I have caught my pike on tip ups, and my go to bait is a live or dead sucker in the 4 - 8" range. What about lures? Should you tip them with cutbait?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

Re: Best Jigging Lure For Pike
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2004, 03:40 AM »
All of my pike through the ice have been on a tip-up as well.
I'm always jigging for other species and just leave one t-u over a weedbed for added excitement.
I know people that use large swimbaits to target pike, and they love it. I've added a few to my arsenal and plan on trying it this year.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2004, 11:43 AM »
I like plain jigs usually 1/8 - 1/4 oz pink is a good colour tip em usually with salted frozen shiners or livies and i just shakes the tips of my rod upand down fairly fast2-3inches letit sit for a while and start over agian with the odd lift and slow drop the hopping really drives em nuts they just smash it!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2004, 02:25 PM »
This really isn't a jigging lure.....but it is DYNAMITE.....i posted this last winter here....but can't find it....whether using a tipup, jigging rod, or deadstick....take any of the huskyjerks and work it down the hole....they suspend perfectly horizontal.....if you happen or can sightfish....watch the big brutes going cruising by once or twice before absolutely hammering it.....BTW...a little twitch once in awhile will make it move side to side...if you jig lightly, it will swim in a circle slightly large than the size of your ice hole....Grump

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2004, 03:46 PM »
That's a good idea gmoe. I might try it.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I would imagine that a decent sized swim bait would work. Think about this...look how many pike have been lured in by a piece of aluminum or wood, shaped like a fish, only to get speared before the strike. Those fish were more than likely going to strike...I would think that a swimbait would have the same effect. How about a big rattletrap? They act just like a bladebait, such as a cicada. I've caught fish vertical jigging them in openwater, I would imagine that a pike would slam one.

-Zach

Jarrod32

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2004, 03:20 PM »
We've always had good luck with regular jigging spoons, and I particularly like the Mepps Syclops as a jigging spoon for pike.

I like that husky jerk idea...gotta try it.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2004, 11:40 PM »
Have had good luck on pike using a 2/3 oz. spinnow--it's like a buzz-bomb(made by the same folks ,I believe) lots of flash,lots of noise,fast movement on the upswing.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2004, 09:58 AM »
Grump does the husky jerk sink?or do you have to weight it somehow?sound very cool.

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Trophyhunter......susp ending huskyjerks.....i usually do this with at least an 18" leader which likely makes them cautious the first few passes....that is unless they are very active when you first drop it down.....i guess it works pretty much the same as the anglers that sight spear using decoys....Grump....WHA M!!!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2004, 12:34 PM »
I tried dropping a husky jerk into a sinkfull of water and it just floated do you weight it at all?I definatly think it would work but don't know how to make it sink.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Since a Husky Jerk doesn't sink, use a Rapala Countdown. It's shaped liek a Husky Jerk, but sinks at exactly 1 foot per second...hence the name. Once you get it to the desired depth, and you jig it once, or start reeling, a counter weight inside the lure shifts, causing the lure to suspend.

-Zach

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2004, 12:55 PM »
oops!!! am i bad?? i will recheck when i get home and have another look....i was positive it was the huskyjerk....i do know its rapala and the same size...and it does sink without weight...update later...Grump

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2004, 01:40 PM »
Grump, I'm sure you probably know this, but if you don't, just check the lip. Rapala puts the model of each lure on the lip.

-Zach

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2004, 11:02 AM »
sorry for not updating last night...a few too many things on the go...here's the huskyjerk all alone at the bottom of the pail....and all dried off after his swim... :unsure:....Grump Model HJ14RT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2004, 07:57 PM »
the husky jerk can be found online at bayside resort bait and tackle or just google search it and you will find it. I am going to pick up a few and try and see what I can do. sounds killer to me.
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

AB pike

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2004, 12:08 PM »
i have had very good luck on 2oz rattle trap black and silver early in the ice fishing season just not jigging it but ripping it one day out fished my buddy 5 to 1 he was using bait just one of those great ice fishing days -25 degrees wind howling and fishing in a nice warm shack who could ask for any thing more we have had a really warm Nov hope it gets cold soon i need to go fishing soon

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:55 PM »
Hey grumpymoe
i am going to give the husky jerk a try.  for a few times out and see what happens. will let you know what happens. I have 2 different husky jerks i have tried a a pail of water. on pops back to the surface the other suspends real nicely. not sure why but thats what happens with 2 different ones i have.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.