New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bear Lake Ice Report  (Read 30291 times)

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What Do You Mean, The ice Is Too Thin!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Re: Bear Lake Ice Report
« Reply #60 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:43 PM »

Hunters08:

The hut closest to the road was being fished by Emptyhanded and Father.They caught 1 out further then started searching. Icetrekker is a tough guy, thougher than I thought.Him and his partner endured the cold and wind out there. What dedication.I walked over for some steak sandwiches, and to say hello. Never did get the steak sandwich either; maybe next time!

Goes to show you, that if you persist, you will find the fish.Looks like they are still there, but require a change of tactics, and the addition of some finness!Also looks like afternoons are the thing! I'll be out again tomorrow after noon if weather holds up.

Bear_Lake_Bob
OH !  OH NO!!!! Don't Put Me In That Hot Oil !

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #61 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Thanks If the wind isnt blowing like today then i'm going to be out there tomorrow. I would like to try cassadaga also just movedhere a couple years ago and i'm not to sure where to go yet usually fish chautauqua and lake erie in the winter, and then make a few trips to silver. My buddie joe lives close to clever's so i have fished bear in the summer and only once in the winter.I am looking forward to getting back on the ice, Thanks
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:08 AM »
Made the executive decision to try Cuba on Sunday instead of going to Bear Lake. Spoke to emptyhanded. Between the two of them - 1 fish all day. I caught one dink perch and small eye on Cuba. Miserable day.
Anyways - looks like Bear is still having it's issues with finding the crappie. Something isn't right there.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:38 AM »
hunter,

We moved from the camp, over by the road believe it or not as close as we were it was 17.9 feet of water. I marked some good fish there too -- but they would not bite. I should have stayed out by icetrekker -- we were marking some fish, but we got extremely bored and ran low on the golden pilsner. After speaking with you bob , we drove over the hill to check on mission meadows -- ice doesn't look the best. No one was parked on the road and no tracks down the hill.

Ice trekker good job on the crappies -- how did the other guys do that walked over by you???

I may go this afternoon seeing its the only safe ice.

Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:46 AM »
Stick to the SBH - it's your honey hole.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:50 AM »
SBH reminds me of your favorite spot Iron bay -- call me later Im heading for ice

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:54 AM »
Jiggin up fish amongst beer cans, tires and corpses.

:-*

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #67 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:20 AM »
you must be talking about hidden pond

Its to cold to fish, I am drinking coor's lights as we speak looking at a cabela's book --getting ready to rig up the new crestliner. I have a opening for the walleye tournaments --you in

Hyjinks -- what about this wekend bear or chataugua???

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Hungover from yesterday pretty bad. Tore into the beers last night when I got home. In for the tournies this year. You shoot me the dates, and I'll come back to fish. No plans this weekend coming up. Gonna fish somewhere - just not sure where yet. Chatauqua potentially pending the weather, etc.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Emptyhanded:

I was just going toload up and go out on Bear Lake, figured by the way you sounded, you were headded that way???????? ???

E Mail me your cell or via IM

I was going to head out towards the point where I was with Trekker

I hate to go myself, too many fish to carry off the ice at 7:00PM in the dark!

Bear_Lake_Bob :tipup:

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #70 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:14 PM »
Bob,

I cleaned out my fishtrap this morning at 10:00 and boy o boy it was freezing. If the bite was hot I would have came down. You probably wont see me again to the first weekend in May trolling the road. If these temps hold I will venture on mission meadows this week.

I hope you get into them tonight

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Now I know you're drunk.

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #72 on: Feb 20, 2006, 05:02 PM »
hunter,

We moved from the camp, over by the road believe it or not as close as we were it was 17.9 feet of water. I marked some good fish there too -- but they would not bite. I should have stayed out by icetrekker -- we were marking some fish, but we got extremely bored and ran low on the golden pilsner. After speaking with you bob , we drove over the hill to check on mission meadows -- ice doesn't look the best. No one was parked on the road and no tracks down the hill.

Ice trekker good job on the crappies -- how did the other guys do that walked over by you???

I may go this afternoon seeing its the only safe ice.

we did pretty well from 4 oclock on...lots of action and a handful of keepers.  like i said before, i missed a handful that felt big when setting the hook.  (but they all feel nicer when ya miss em'!)  had it not been so frigid out, and had i been with someone more experienced who wouldnt get bored and fidgety after an hour, i truly feel i could have gotten at least a dozen or more keepers.  my pops and i are headed there next weekend with a lantern and will try to bring back bear's glory days haha  :D

bob - im headin' back from UB friday afternoon.  my dad hasnt been out on the ice in several weeks and he's itching to get out.  let me know, we'll be back right were i was sunday night around the same time, but hopefully until later.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 20, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Wednesday eve I am going to head down. I wanted to fish cassadaga cause i know where the crappies are but my bravery level has fallen a bit these last couple of weeks :) I tried to check it yesterday on my way home from quaker lake (dry ;D) took one step on cassadaga and felt i was threatening my chances of making it home dry this weekend ;)

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 20, 2006, 05:56 PM »

We just came off the Bear Lake ice. 8 inches good stuff under there now!

I caught 23, my partner 4 and another friend out ther approx 6. Fish caught on minnows, few on Waxies.Nothing major league size

We started at 3:00PM and quit at 6:00PM off the camp, where Trekker fished the other day. The bite started as soon as we dropped in, but stalled at 5:30

Nice bright sunny day, one other hut off Muskie Point; they left very early!

Maybe the late bite happens after dark this year, we will try that approach. ???

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:18 PM »
We should do a night time iceshanty party out there. BBQ, beers, etc.
I may fire down this weekend to give it a shot. Do the night fishing adventure and test it out.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:43 PM »
I may fire down this weekend to give it a shot. Do the night fishing adventure and test it out.

Hijinks/Emptyhanded:

You just woke me up with that ice party thing Some grilled grub and brews would go a long way in making up any fish shortage! Marcus could provide the entertainment by falling thru a few times.There is a serious side to this nite time thing. Me and a friend fish this small lake, and I will swear, you won't get a bite there thru the ice till after 600PM in total darkness, then they seem to come out of nowhere!
LETS DO IT!  ***CROWKILLER said he will bring a bunch of Crow Wings as well!

Bear_Lake_Bob

crowkiller

« Reply #77 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:49 PM »

im  game let me know when n were

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:52 PM »
hmmmm not sure about choice of entertainment but sounds good let me  know .

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:56 PM »
Marcus:

Crowkiller maybe didn't read the fine print about him bringing the crow wings. :clap:

But hey>>Wouldn't some fried Chicken Fingers and fries go good out there!

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #80 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Well i didnt make it to bear took a drive around chautauqua. There were guys out at burtis bay not to far out and there were guys at long point, and guys at vikings club. It kind of shocks me with all the open water there was just 2 days ago!! I didnt see anybody at mayville. I would like to get back out there me and my buddie got some nice perch and just started getting some keeper calico's when the lake went to crap.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:44 PM »
Since Conesus  has been cancelled, maybe we can get a bunch of the guys to come over to Bear Lake Saturday; maybe even cook a bit of something? Anyone loose? :thumbsup:

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Bob, I know there is pike in Bear but is it a catchable population ?   And Im down for saturday I could bring some venison chilli my wife makes it good stuff as well as some beverages  ;D

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #83 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:02 PM »
how thick is the ice and is there anything biting thinking on heading down this weekend
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Bob, I know there is pike in Bear but is it a catchable population ?   And Im down for saturday I could bring some venison chilli my wife makes it good stuff as well as some beverages  ;D

Marcus:

Hope to see you Saturday. Yes, there are Northerns, and Musky in there, they preferr the shallow water 8-10ft, which would be in about 100 yds from the 20ft range the Calico are holding in. They fish for Northerns in the Spring. Some icers set up for pike. I stopped, because the Musky were too much bother.

There are some 30'' Walleye swimming in that lake. I have seen several in that range caught wile trolling. My personal best there remains at 27" The lake also holds Bass, Perch, Bluegill,rockbass ,catfish,Gar, and who knows what else!

Hope some more fishermen get interested in Saturday, as generally, the ice is terrible most other places., even at your Cassadaga Lakes, which as the Crow flies, are less than 3 miles away!

Most people I have spoke with so far suggest starting right around noontime and fish a bit into the darkness, so bring lighting!

The Bear Lake ice surface is variable, mostly 6-8".Park at the DEC lot, or tight to the roadside shoulders.

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:13 PM »
hawkeye come down saturday ice is solid and the fish are there. I will be there tommorrow night to find the ever elusive crappie. Maybe Saturday I'll set up a bit shallower and see if I can find some pike. Why do the musky bother you sounds like fun I have caught tigers through the ice and they put up a good fight i bet the musky would too. I am not fond of the taste of the toothy critters just like the tug on the line I would just be snapping pictures anyways now that my wife will actually let me take her camcorder/digital camera ;D

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #86 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:15 PM »
I fished bear till 9 pm tonight caught alot of calico only 1 keeper lost a couple of heavy fish. I was still marking fish when i left. 18 feet of water

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Bob and others thanks for the report!
Still on the to do list.
Not this weekend either.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Hey bob did you make it out this afternoon? Just wondering how you did? I hope to be out tomorrow around 5pm

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:45 PM »

Hunter08

We started fishing at 1:00PM and never got a fish till after 3 PM.One keeper, then 4 short fish, then my partner had to start packing it in so he could go home and sleep for work at 2AM. So by 4:30 we were done!. Met Marcus and crew on their way on to the ice, gave them bait and home we went. I have no idea what Marcus and crew did, but from the writing on the wall, I firmly now believe the nite bite is the way to go, or fish from 2PM thru dark or later. From the last several outings, fish always started at or around 3PM if they were going to cooperate at all.
Flashers will be a must bring thing to locate these fish in the water column.I have heard of fish being caught 14ft off the bottom, and everywhere down, Who knows.

Lets seee how the weather looks tomorrow.

Bear_Lake_Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.