Author Topic: Spearing tips for northerns?  (Read 12577 times)

Offline Gamedog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get Whiskey Drunk!!
Spearing tips for northerns?
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 02:55 PM »
 :whistle:

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spearing tips for northerns?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2007, 12:40 AM »
i personally dont spear but some folks i know do, they use the a big sucker as a decoy (around 9-11 inchers) hooked on a quick strike rig, just incase it eats it and runs you can real em in. Most position themselves on weedy drop off's choose waters as clear as possible and try to see the bottom for contrast, cause the pike's dark back is almost "invisible" otherwise. some lima beans or egg shells on the bottom can work wonders for contrasting the bottom also. Then wait em out, Good Luck  :tipup: blake

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:31 PM »
Gamedog,
Send Spearchucker an I.M.  He spears quite a bit and is pretty good at it up here in Alaska.  Might take him a couple days to reply since he's in Baghdad right now...
TEAM ALASKA

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:08 AM »
I like the 10" red and white pike Bear Creek decoy, as it really illuminates the hole.  I also hook a large shiner or sucker minnow on a jig head and let em swim around as an extra decoy.  I like to spear in 7-10 feet of water.  If it has a sandy bottom, don't worry about egg shells, but if it's real weedy, a few egg shells help see the fish.  When I see a northern come in, I slowly raise my decoy up, while the northern follows it.  I do this to get a closer shot, and if i stick them up off the bottom, when they thrash around they don't murky up the hole.  You might check into Nelson reservior, I've heard it has real good spearing.  Fort peck can be murky sometimes.  I mainly spear South Sandstone Res.  Anymore question, don't be afraid to ask.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Hey Darkhouse,thanks for the tips. Heading up to Ft. peck next week for 5 days. Going to give it a good try. I've just got one perch colored decoy so far ,but I may try some large sucker minnows too. I'm wondering if the pike will be back in some of the bays getting ready for spawning or if it's to early yet. I'll try both the bay's and some of the main points on the lake . Hope the water clarity is good enough. .What kind of spearing equipment are you using? I bought an old Randall spear , Lakco decoy , and am just drilling about 6-10 holes with the auger for the spear opening. I was reading some of your old posts, and it sounds you make some of your own gear. Whats up with your saws? I'd sure be interested in seeing one and maybe do some horse traiding.I'll let ya know how the trip up to Ft. Peck goes.    Gamedog

How often do you make it to Fort Peck? I am intersested in going this coming winter (wish I could make it this year   ;D  ::) ). As far as the saws go, here is the web site http://icesaws.com/. I bought one about 2 months ago. I use a bar to chip through the ice to get the starter hole, instead of using the saw. It works alot better than augering out your spear hole. Darkhouse and I fish/spear together occasionally.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:32 PM »
My saws worked, but not nearly as good as the ones you can buy.  Heres a link to the best ones I've seen http://darkhousespearingsupply.com/  Anymore I just auger a series of holes.  Ice saws are the way to go though. I also take a spud bar and chip the corners left from the auger holes, makes for better visibility.  If you have access to a set of ice tongs they work good to get the large block of ice out of the hole.  I also took a plastic snow shovel and drilled a bunch of holes in it to use as a large skimmer to get all the slush out of the hole. Try threading an old CD onto the line above the decoy that extra flash helps bring em in and helps illuminate your spearhole.  And remember in the eastern district you can fish out of your spearing hole, makes for great perch fishing.  I have the week off starting 2-26 can't decide if I want to spend all week at South sandstone or go to Ft. Peck for a few days too.  Good luck.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:23 PM »
Is South Sandstone usually pretty good for ya?
The pike there aren't as big as Ft. Peck, but you are into them all day.  The perch fishing there is also real good. 

How far is the drive from Billings?
It's 200 miles from Billings, but I have lots of family in Miles City to stay w/ when I fish Sandstone.

One other thing, for me it's easier to get the pike positioned so all I have to do is drop the spear on them, rather then throw the spear at them.  That way you don't have to judge the refraction from the water.  If you do have to throw at one, try to get a couple feet of the spear into the water and see how it's bending to judge the refraction.  Make sure you always put the spear head in the water first before you throw, otherwise the pike will hear the splash and be gone before the spear gets to them, as sound travels faster in water.  Hope this helps.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2007, 12:09 AM »
Hey Gamedog, I sent you a personal message, so as not to clutter up this thread.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.