Author Topic: jiging for pike  (Read 4889 times)

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • let there be ice!!!!!!!!!!!
jiging for pike
« on: Nov 12, 2006, 03:23 PM »
iam new to the jigging thing what size line should i use for pike and do i need a wire leader and what jigs do u perfer any info would help thank u

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: jiging for pike
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:07 PM »
I use 10 pound test when I am jigging for pike, which isn't too often. I don't use a wire leader, just check your line frequently and be prepared to possibly lose a fish. I like airplane jigs, swedish pimples, and Rattlin' Raps. Big jigging rapalas also work well. I tip the airplane jig and swedish pimples with bait. 8)

Good Luck

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2006, 07:34 PM »
same here, it does nto happen oftern but when it does Im using 10lb fireline, no wire leader as it is not needed for the most part, jigging raps, larger spoons and the occasonal Chubby Darter will be the lures of choice

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:04 AM »
mono or breaded line

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:09 PM »
That's a tough one....  some guys will say mono, others will say braided..  it's more a matter of comfort and confidence...  if you've used braided before, you know what it is capable of...  and seems to be a little more abrasion resistant....  I know I can't bite through it like I can mono.... ;)
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Put some steel on the end. I like Cortland toothy critter, its thin and you don't need crimp sleeves. I plan on experementing with some heavy floro for pike leaders this year, we will see.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:28 AM »
I perfer braids for pike, but I have had success using spoons with a mono dropper trebel, I only had one bite off last season on the dropper. worked very well........mustad red size 4 about a 2 inch dropper

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:33 PM »
thanks for the info guys ill give it a try

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2006, 02:38 PM »
I fish for pike 95% of the time.....I use 20 # powerpro and a a 24-30 inch steel leader......... I catch a lot and NEVER break any off

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2006, 12:29 PM »
what rod would you suggest? I think I want to try one of these the name and the price is right, just not sure what size. I know med or heavy not sure what length to go with. fishusa.com is offering no shipping charges thru 11/27/06. I want to get one this week.

St. Croix Premier Ice Rod Specifications
Model Length Action Guides
PIR24UL 24" Ultra Light 4
PIR24ML 24" Med. Light 4
PIR24M 24" Medium 4
PIR28UL 28" Ultra Light 4
PIR28ML 28" Med. Light 4
PIR28M 28" Medium 4
PIR32M 32" Medium 5
PIR32H 32" Heavy 5

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Depends how big of pike you're going to catch.  I'd personally go with a 28 inch medium.  Even a 24 med if the pike aren't going to be very big.  No need to go to 32 med or heavy unless you're going to consistantly catch 15-20 plus lbers.  Both 24 and 28 will handle the big ones too if needed, with the right line and reel combo.  8)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2006, 08:53 AM »
If you are doing most of your jigging inside get a 28''. If you hole hop outside (as you should) get as long as you can. A 28'' or a 32'' is a good choice, but some guys prefer much longer rod.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2006, 09:00 AM »
iam new to the jigging thing what size line should i use for pike and do i need a wire leader and what jigs do u perfer any info would help thank u

Last year I was jigging for perch with a spike on 3lb test and somehow ended up catching 2 of them slimey things...

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2006, 09:03 AM »
Last year I was jigging for perch with a spike on 3lb test and somehow ended up catching 2 of them slimey things...

i get the, all the time on the teardrops for pannies, and 2lb test. I probably land 1/3 of them  :-\

toothy critters
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2006, 09:07 AM »
yea these guys weren't too big and unfortunetly iced them both lol...but we were using a buddies camera and i saw the perch scatter and then he comes up and sits there....so i tried to keep it still...but he still took it...they were only 22-23"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2006, 03:14 PM »
I watched an old timer hand line a 15lb pike with 2lb test....

Hand line is an art, and that man was a master. :)

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2006, 05:34 PM »
I like to jig an 1/8 ounce bucktail w/ a big fathead or shiner w/ 12 lbs mono.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:58 PM »
I am a big fan of rubber jigs when jigging for pike. I like to use single and double tale Mr. twisters, storm wildeyes shads, rubber crayfish or salamanders and anything else that looks like it might get some attention. Just tip them with some bait or meat for scent or use the ones with scent in them and your away. :)

As for rods the medium action seems to work well coupled with 10 - 14 lb test line.

I will be trying the Cajun Red line on my jigging rod this year so I will see how that goes, but have always had good luck with fireline braid.

I would start by using a steel leader like the ones that were suggested. But if you are getting alot pike looking but not taking try switching to a heavy weight fluorocarbon line in the 30 - 50 lb range and use a section of it as your leader.
A pike could still potentially bite through it but it will reduce the chances.

WW

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:53 AM »
i get the, all the time on the teardrops for pannies, and 2lb test. I probably land 1/3 of them  :-\

toothy critters

It always seems the biggest toothies i hook into are on real light line, while jigging for pannies...and of course i always lose them  >:(.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:29 AM »
We were jiggin' for pike Sunday with cheap medium action South Bend combos ... I think they came with 4 or 6 # mono. Was using a short piece of narrow steel leader on one end with a jigging spoon and minnow. Caught a bunch of small ones (15-20 inches), and what fun it was!!!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:38 PM »
if you are going for pike you will want to also use a tip up and a smelt in your other hole if you have a few people fishing put as many tip ups as you can you will have alot better chance especially for a big one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.