New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827220 times)

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #7500 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Tough end to the season for me. Didn't ice a keeper eye for the last 3 days of the season. Did find some nice perch to go back to though.

Thanks to all the guys who saved me some wear and tear by dragging me and my gear on or off the ice this year (DeadEyez, Dan, Keith, Ted and the snowmobiler who just needed directions to the trail).

Time to put together a perch only box and try to figure out how to catch crappie!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #7501 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:42 AM »

Nice work too the guys who got some eyes, me and brian could not get a keeper eye yesterday either, 2 straight days no keepers, what a slump.. Oneida beat us down hard....
          Decided to fish west yesterday, launched out of constancia, tried 3 different spots that normally hold eyes, but all that was down there was dink perch, millions of them, couldn't get away from them so moved east 2 miles towards taft. Found a big school of jumbos suspended up about 5-8 feet off bottom, over 100 1lb perch went by me... watched them for 3 hours on my camera, they were so focused on what ever they were doing that I couldn't even get them too look in my lures direction, let alone hook one...seen wigglers swimming about 4-6 feet off bottom, but the perch were just swimming by them not even eating them, after seeing that I knew we were doomed, big schools of burbots also around 10 feet up off bottom, along with a few channel cats up around 12 feet off bottom. They had no interest either, didn't even look in my lures direction... around 2 pm after 7 moves and soaked too my underwear, decided too call it and get home to bring all my gear in too dry that was soaked from the slush and rain before todays re freeze. I'm an aggressive jig fisherman, I expected too have a tough adjustment yesterday and the day before, but guys I know who are better light bite fisherman weren't doing well either which isn't normal................ .....Very Tough outing for us.

Friday we got some nice bass, heres one of them.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline veteranCNYicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7502 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:57 AM »
   :(fished off sylan beach all day only had 1 smallie, not a single walleye. horrible year on oneida for us  :'(

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7503 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for the comments guy's...I was happy, and lucky to find a few eyes that wanted to play.

reeleyez...nice pile

unreal Snag, hard to believe...great report , but you have had many great trips out on Oneida this season.
and thanks for all the pics, videos, fish and weather reports this walleye season

DC....I love that cheap little light tip jig rod...12 bucks with reel..The Tip Never Lies ;)

ooops Stormy...6:30 am..LOL

Pooch..you and racer had a terrific walleye season!! where in N carolina and what type of boat did you buy?

On a sad note...Now we have to wait 9 or 10 MONTHS to ice jig walleyes  >:(
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7504 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:00 PM »

well snag we didn't do any better ,I did get fish to look at a couple of  things but came up and stared at it some I couldn't even spook , how bad is that , I'm taking some time off to get my back straightened out , and get my stuff dried out , what a mess , and I'm getting a new toy to play with for the next outting can't wait

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7505 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Went out of Constantia sunrise to 11am this morning.  I wish Snagger had posted his report last night, would've save me some trouble.  All I found were dinks too.  Sure doesn't feel like mid March out there, feels more like mid January except for the length of the days.  Hope it warms up next weekend, I need a boat ride.

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7506 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:09 PM »
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7507 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Snagger, nice smallie!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7508 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:57 PM »
My son and I just got back home after hitting Sodus to bang a few more perch for a cooler cleanout. We didn't do great by any means but managed 3 keeper eyes and a couple perch for our efforts. Friday we pulled into Apps for bait at 6:30 and made a b-line for edgewater via the cliffs off the north shore on foot. 1 hr later we were set up and marking in 28ft, banged a 15 1/4 eye,two yellows and two whiteys all day long. Never stuck around for the PM bite cause we were beat,no machine or power auger just man power as a team. Was scratching my head on the next move for sat on the long walk back. Back to the cliffs or the beach. I remember a couple yrs back here the beach was the only game in town so i ripped a page from the OLLC hand book, rolled the dice and went for the beach. Got on in the dark and made my way to 23ft south of the canal. By 8:30 we hooked up, 2 keepers and 2 pins in a 20 min flurrie and then it was over. We fished till 2 at the bowel and made a drastic move to Constantia for the evening here we never hooked up again. I figured it was a worthy move,we go to check out some new territory and hit all the major launches along the way to get to know were where at on this lake. All in all it was a great end to our season especially after my Lewis Pt debacle of 5 pins and 4 perch for 2 days of fishing. Will be back for more abuse next yr,just wish i could have got the boy on better fishing. Now you all got find them jumbos and be safe out there and we thank all of you that put ur time into posting conditions and a few tricks aswell if you can read between the lines. Thanks again

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7509 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:31 PM »
I think they bite when they're hungry...period. :)

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #7510 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Well boys, if I could say I made one mistake this weekend it would be that I didn't set on top of and piss pound the aggressive biting jalopy's I found in 2 different locations Friday and Saturday. I was so hell bent on getting some eyes in the final days of open season that I was either in denial of the lousy bite going on or just plain forgot....Well, I dropped 5 different good fish in 4 different locations due to their pure ferociousness when they finally would hit, yeah right, slight grab, just a nip, or probably a push, then a hook set with nothing more than one hook point teetering on a tooth just to end up falling out. In one spot I had a dandy on at 3, lost her under the hole and figured, hmmm, this may be a good peak period spot tonight, wrong again!!! The last hour brought a swarm of infants, toddlers and adolescents that were hungry and eating ravenously. Caught about 30 or 40 in about 45 minutes, not one keeper......So about that mistake I made, if I had just settled in and fine tuned my presentation I would have easily taken a bucket full of slurch in said 2 different locations, instead I kept my walleye hardware on and took a dozen or so out of each spot in an hour or so while chasing after Walters with lousy dispositions.
I'd have to say the most pathetic part of the day Saturday was seeing 2 vehicles parked in apps parking lot, just 2 vehicles from 2 walkers. The last day of open eye season on a Saturday nevertheless and the lake was  a ghost town.
I WILL say this, in my 11 years of dedicated service to our sweet lady, this was my absolute worst ender EVER!
I only fear that this tiresome grueling winter didn't cause to much brain damage to our walleye population, because they are obviously a bit troubled right now.
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7511 on: Mar 16, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Chooch - that rod on the left was one of the best rods ever made. They have been called a few things over the years and the handle keeps changing. HT Polar gold or Polar Lites, they were called. Nice soft tip and great backbone. And they cost around 12-15 bucks  ;D
How many of those rods did we bring back from Michigan ?   I know we wiped out Cabela's stock that week ! ;D
  I've got 3 left and as far as performance, I'd put them up against ANY rod on the market.  Factory made or custom built !  ;)

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7512 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:05 PM »
You had the same day as the rest of us bud!! KP went 3-3 on the eyes and went 2-3 on the perch. ALL DINKS!! All went back down the hole for another day!! I'm not buying the barometer, the bugs, or anything else that is deterring us from catching the hundred or so fish we mark everyday when we fish. The lakes have had about 2 months of solid 20" plus ice, with no way of getting any sunlight down deep. Also, we have had no major runoffs to help with raising the o2 levels and temperature of the water. I wanted to bring a thermometer with me Saturday, but, forgot it. My ice graph doesn't read temps. We need some good solid warmer days to reduce some ice and get the warmer water back into the lake. Hopefully...soon! just my thoughts!! I fished micro jigs and plastics as well....no takers on those rigs either. Nice job to the guys who got into some fish!! If anyone has a water temp. to post for us...please do so. ;) It'll get better....SOON. I hope!! those perch are going to pay when the they turn!! >:D Great fishing with you yesterday freddie!! Take care of that back!! ;)--KP @)

My camera was reporting a water temperature of 35 to 36 degrees when I was out yesterday. That's in 17 FOW off the SE tip of Dunham's.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #7513 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments guy's...I was happy, and lucky to find a few eyes that wanted to play.

reeleyez...nice pile

unreal Snag, hard to believe...great report , but you have had many great trips out on Oneida this season.
and thanks for all the pics, videos, fish and weather reports this walleye season

DC....I love that cheap little light tip jig rod...12 bucks with reel..The Tip Never Lies ;)

ooops Stormy...6:30 am..LOL

I keep the boat in Jacksonville NC and use it to saltwater fish, its a G3 18 foot aluminum center console. Love it!!!!!!

Pooch..you and racer had a terrific walleye season!! where in N carolina and what type of boat did you buy?

On a sad note...Now we have to wait 9 or 10 MONTHS to ice jig walleyes  >:(

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7514 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:21 PM »
I almost made the same mistake yesterday Ice Addict. The one eye that I got was barely hooked on the center hook and I never felt him hit. Then I made some moves trying to find more eyes and found zip so I settled in on perch. Went back to the spot where I caught the 1 eye before dark and only found more perch.

It was eerie to look out just before dark on the last Saturday of walleye and not see another soul on the ice.

I bet the bite gets really good soon. Now that walleye season is closed I am going try something different. This is the year to hit one of those places that rarely has safe ice...

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7515 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Water temperature was 34 on Friday at chapman park

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #7516 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Went out of Constantia sunrise to 11am this morning.  I wish Snagger had posted his report last night, would've save me some trouble.  All I found were dinks too.  Sure doesn't feel like mid March out there, feels more like mid January except for the length of the days.  Hope it warms up next weekend, I need a boat ride.

Well that's not the report I wanted either, I was gonna sneak out there tomorrow, figured it was just me movin too fast or the barometer, dam, now what?  I'm walkin out somewhere......
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #7517 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:13 PM »

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7518 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:15 PM »

nice boat choo choo

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7519 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Just got off the ice.  Was ok this morning, shutdown at lunch.  Have to say I disagree with some reports as far as eyes I had a great year.  Granted couple months ago was better.  First year ever for me always found some even when I didn't want too.  Perch that's another story.  Not once have I even got close to a limit where it takes more than 1 bucket to hold them without stacking them.  Only other times that has happened is my first year and when ice conditions didn't allow.
Don't get it...... I get pickerel in the middle of the lake, but almost none up tight, eyes from 14-32 even with small gear.  Perch? Haven't broken 25.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7520 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Reeleyz was certainly weird today much like last weekend seeing no one out there.
Only a dozen or so throttle jockey sled guys out, no fisherman.
There was an older ford truck out though.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #7521 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:25 PM »
My fault on the pic and comment Choo Choo, should have separated them.

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7522 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:36 PM »

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7523 on: Mar 16, 2014, 05:06 PM »

nice boat choo choo
I wish it was mine filet!!! It;s Pooches boat that he keeps down in North Carolina..
Nice Boat Pooch !! BTW, speckled trout are closed to commercial and recreational fisherman until sometime in the summer. This crazy cold winter killed tens of thousands of speckled trout in North Carolina, when the creeks,marshes, and backwaters where they winter,got so cold so fast that they basically froze to death. My son lives down there , and he told me about the fish kills....Damn cold , long winter, even in parts of the south.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7524 on: Mar 16, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Well guys & gals
 its been another good year  for some of you    not for me     for the times Out on the ice    this year got 2 walleye to my name  jigging !!!! Da..mm

but  what  kept me sidelined     was  doctor sidelined me     boy was I phy..ed  for less begining ice <Early>

so now  what  as I am discharged  back to the ice  !!!      walleye  season was is closed  as of 15th  March
so if I go back out  perch are waiting  for me  big-uns
so  last time I was there on ice  I   walked from shore to 30 feet of water   from shore  pulling  a lot of  #s
full shanty  but  just felt good  to get extra  walk in    guys i lost 6 #   staying away from sweets   <oh buy the way  miss-fishie>i have to stay away from U you   your sweet   ~:+)

PBP :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:  doctor said< You>       I gotta get fishin
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #7525 on: Mar 16, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Just got off the ice.  Was ok this morning, shutdown at lunch.  Have to say I disagree with some reports as far as eyes I had a great year.  Granted couple months ago was better.  First year ever for me always found some even when I didn't want too.  Perch that's another story.  Not once have I even got close to a limit where it takes more than 1 bucket to hold them without stacking them.  Only other times that has happened is my first year and when ice conditions didn't allow.
Don't get it...... I get pickerel in the middle of the lake, but almost none up tight, eyes from 14-32 even with small gear.  Perch? Haven't broken 25.

I had a great year bro, just a bad last couple weeks, this last weekend was the one and only weekend I didn't get any keeper eyes, that has never happened to me at the closer. Usually a silly bite going on! January was off the hook, February started getting tough, still got my fish just not lots of extras. End of February and beginning of March, I know lots of people were struggling, HARD ! I got lucky, until this past Friday and Saturday. That's ok, I have no complaints, Oneida lake is and will always be the best inland lake and fishery in all of NY state and beyond! 
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7526 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:05 PM »

it was an epic year on eyes I jumped off them earlier than last to fish for perch, I have a number set for keepers landed then move on to perch , perch bite was tougher for me this year than last ,but thats ok I got lucky during most of the tough bite and found a few that would play every day with a little moving around, last couple outtings they trimmed me pretty good though , but I don't hear any fat lady singing yet  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7527 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:11 PM »
NO SIR!! ;)

I can see a couple of days off in the future for a little pay back  :o

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7528 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:20 PM »

opps sorry nice rig pooch great jigging boat

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7529 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Those perch have no clue what is about to happen to them!! ;D I dare them to turn on and get hungry!! and, the same goes for thier cousin...the white perch!! :flex: :icefish:

whites look like gas in the tank , and if hes nice KP do we let trapp in on it  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.