New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827222 times)

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #7200 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:49 PM »
That's a scary thing allright. HT could have broken his neck if that hole was any bigger. I hate to think what could have happened, even to someone walking. Falling in a hole like that with a load of clothes on could be a killer. That's why I always thanked the Lord and Mother Nature every time I left the ice safely.

You fellas do a great job out there on the ice and on here. I've been a lurker for awhile now and enjoy all the pics and reports and tips. I did it for 15 years from the early 80s to the mid 90s. Then I tore up my back in 93 and it was down hill from there. I tried off and on; but all that loading and unloading, lifting and drilling was too much, deep snow like you just had out there was a real killer for me, getting stuck was a real drag. (gave up the boat too) :-\. But, I had plenty of years of great fishing on that lake. I used to drive all around it at early ice checking on all the spots and trying to figure out where to park, what they caught there and where they did the best.

After awhile you young guns will put it all together, it takes years; but read all you can (Infisherman, etc.) and pay attention to what the regulars here say. I don't need to mention names. You'll know after awhile. Remember the spots, Williams Park, Chapman Park, Lewis Point, Sylvan Beach, Edgewater, Jewel, Godfrey Point, Apps, Taft Bay, Constantia. Then learn the spots on the lake, Doris Park area, Wantry, bouy 130, 128, 125, Shackelton Shoals, 123, 121, 119, Messenger Shoals @ 113, 109...on and on.

Some spots you'll catch both perch and walleye. Some spots are good perch spots ie: Chapman's and some are better walleye spots. It's up to you to put it all together. Pick a spot thats convienent for you to get to and fish it, learn it, and you'll learn that early spots peter out and the fish head deeper as the winter wears on and then when spring is in the air, they head back into the shallows. My favorite time is yet to get here. That's when the melting water on top of the ice is going down the hole in a whirlpool and the big fat perch are bitting like wildfire and buckets of perch start showing up on Iceshanty!

Now a days, you guys have Iceshanty...GPS, electric augers, etc. I started hand over hand fishing out there with tip ups; but soon learned after buying an Eagle 60/30 flasher that I didn't need that stuff on Oneida anymore. It was like playing a video game and I never left the trap after that. Well, I did drink alot of coffee and too much beer for awhile! Lol

Icefishing on Oneida Lake isn't just icefishing like most places...it's an adventure! You better be prepared for any weather and keep your wits about you because it'll bite you in the you know what in a hurry if you're not paying attention. Glad you made it through that HT.

Wow, I've never made a post like this before. Well, thanks guys keep it up. You've got the best thread on the internet!! ;D

Very nicely said and all of it is true :thumbsup:
That lake has too many variables to get it all figured out...I have been fishing the Lewis Pt. area since the late 70's in a boat and on ice. It has changed ten folds since I first started as a kid. Freddy and a few others can attest to that. The lake is under constant invasive encroachment and always has been...Mother Nature causes and adjusts to all of these different situations. It is just the constant learning curve we as fisherman endure, whether we like it or not...just roll with it and keep the passion alive :icefish:

AW

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #7201 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:51 PM »
  You wouldn't show me your bucket when you left ht, how do I know what you got?, tough bite today for me, definetly needed meat on my rap.  Not too bad fishin Oneida when someone finds the fish for ya is it Ht?  .....Almost like Sandy pond....I grabbed a dozen jumbos and one keeper eye.  That's it, was like watching paint dry in between fish, but it was nice out and still had a fun day.

Be very careful is leaving from taft, the crack busted up good tonight, had to abandon one spot we crossed and find a new one, think we found your gas hole too ht.

old trail crossing crack.

easy now. i was just pushing your buttons. i didnt get that many more then you guys. you know i dont need anyone to put me on fish i can find them myself. once in a while i like to fish with a certain few couple of guys that i enjoy fishing with ;)  that crack is gotten bad for sure. i jumped it hard on the way in again. holly crap man how much snow we going to get here? warnings all over the TV :(
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7202 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:57 PM »
The cracks on north shore always seem worse than the south. Scary thing is a foot of snow then wind blown snow into all that mess with frigid temps wens night it'll stiffen back up just enough by thurs morning most won't see it or think about it.

However it'll only be 1-3" of crap white ice.
I fear a few will go for a dip there between then & the weekend.

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #7203 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:00 PM »
A buddy told me the access behind apps near the crack has changed also, you cant cross where you were crossing, ya gotta run 100 yds to the west

Took a blue perch today (my iphone camera isn't the best)

Lovin' my new toy:

Very good day, North Shore, here's a few of em' I hit em later morning, only a few early, died for what seemed like 9 days mid day, then had a 2 hour all out bust em up type bite, and no late bite Grrrr.

Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7204 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:21 PM »
nice perch tom

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #7205 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:26 PM »
  I put a camera down today Tom, perch were swimming in groups of 3-5 at about 6mph, most didn't stop, this went on like every 25-30 minutes, never realize perch moved so much and so fast.  most times they could care what was down there, the ones that stopped committed suicide, inhaled the rap, but that wasn't very often.  Screwing with the cam cost me some walleyes moves though, but it was fun watching their habits,.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #7206 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I put a camera down today Tom, perch were

Geez, now you'll get me hooked on something else, let me catch up to you with the Lowrance first, lol
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7207 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Nice pics Shane. I knew you were doing decent over there, I could hear almost every word, amazing how sound travels on open ground.  Your the only person I know that won't come running to a hot bite because you would rather find your own fish, good job getting on them. 

I ended up having a decent day myself, might slip out one morning to beat on them again before walleye season closes.   I ended up using a single tip up to scout the hump next to me and it helped me get on some more fish.

Great fishin with you Slamboney, just like old times, nice @ss beating you gave Jim...  ;D  Those were your fish, I would of been trespassing, I usually land on some somewhere at some point..  never fished that spot, had too give it the walk threw.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7208 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Nice graph pics Tom.  I like the pictures of fish on the screen getting caught.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #7209 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:45 PM »
A few pages back there was a discussion on weather apps for barometric pressure, or lack thereof.  I've not been able to find one that will give a forecast for pressure, or even one that will tell me if it is rising or falling or holding steady.  Until I clicked on an app i already had on my phone that I use for hunting called Scout Look.  Scoutlookweather.com   It does not have the barometric pressure forecast but it does give you a reading for your location and an indication of rising, falling or steady. 
The hunting app is really cool, you can plug in your tree stand location on the map and it will tell you where your scent cone will be based on wind direction and speed.  It helps you pick the right stand based on the weather conditions.  There are quite a few other features and best of all it's free.  And the "inventor" of the app is a local guy Cy Wiechart, a really good guy and avid outdoorsman.
The NOAA weather app is really good too for weather conditions.  If there are other apps or websites for barometer forecasts, please share them!   I've learned a lot from reading this thread, and I am always looking for more information and tips. 

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7210 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:51 PM »
I get my pressure from Pocketgrib lite

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7211 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:07 PM »

nice job today stickbow.  :thumbsup:

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7212 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Thanks Snag! It's taken me a few trips to finally find em. Just have to keep at it.

Just saw the storm may be a rain/snow mix. It's gonna get ugly

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7213 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:43 PM »
On a side note...tried squirrel for the first time today...it was actually wicked tasty! I will no longer hesitate to pop one when I'm in my stand and they're chattering at me.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #7214 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Just wanted to give an update on my Milwaukee Fuel Drill.....

The good: I drilled 13 holes in about 18 inches of ice and still had 2 lights left on the battery. Still had an unused battery, so it looks like I can drill plenty of holes and not worry.

The bad is that I was using the 8inch auger and man it was tough holding onto that thing. I put the handle on for the next time I use it.

Looks like it was a good investment.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7215 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:32 AM »
  You wouldn't show me your bucket when you left ht, how do I know what you got?, tough bite today for me, definetly needed meat on my rap.  Not too bad fishin Oneida when someone finds the fish for ya is it Ht?  .....Almost like Sandy pond....I grabbed a dozen jumbos and one keeper eye.  That's it, was like watching paint dry in between fish, but it was nice out and still had a fun day.

Be very careful is leaving from taft, the crack busted up good tonight, had to abandon one spot we crossed and find a new one, think we found your gas hole too ht.

old trail crossing crack.

ya that hole looks very familiar for sure >:( freaking scarry looking with my tracks going right in it :o

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #7216 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:21 AM »
How exactly did you get out of that hole ht? Gunned it?

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7217 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Hope this storm is mostly rain..light rain.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7218 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Weather Underground has the pressure on it with an arrow next to it showing rising falling. I had to delete some stuff on my phone for a software update W/U being one of the deleted when I put it back on it was all different pretty cool now.

Fished yesterday first time on Oneida since first week of Feb first hole, first drop, bang 11' perch with three marks left down there, back down played with em for a few they leave, 10 mins later mark comes out of no where wham hits like a train but dumped it half way up, this before 730, after that few pins and a ton of lookers left around 2. 

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7219 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:48 AM »
How exactly did you get out of that hole ht? Gunned it?
Yes I Did ;)

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #7220 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Yes I Did ;)

Glad you didnt get into any serious trouble HT. Thanks for cords, I just plugged them in, I have a trail that passed by that very spot about 1/8 of a mile away, I was pretty close to that thing!  :o
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7221 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Whats the chances me and fred find that in the dark?  I found another one in january, bigger about 1/2 mile west of that on the 30 ft drop.

OK so I'm no meteorologist, but where are we getting this cold air for the storm?, theres 2 ways too get cold air, import it or manufacture it, if it rains into dry air, evaporational cooling takes place, and brings down temps too the dewpoint... checked the dewpoints, very marginal at best, we'll see .....I would think rain/wet snow for a lot it during daylight hours, hopefully Oneida don't get bogged down with a foot of snow for last rip at eyes Saturday..  what a day today, 44 and sunny already, wish I was out there.

great job on perch Scout.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7222 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Whats the chances me and fred find that in the dark?  I found another one in january, bigger about 1/2 mile west of that on the 30 ft drop.

OK so I'm no meteorologist, but where are we getting this cold air for the storm?, theres 2 ways too get cold air, import it or manufacture it, if it rains into dry air, evaporational cooling takes place, and brings down temps too the dewpoint... checked the dewpoints, very marginal at best, we'll see .....I would think rain/wet snow for a lot it during daylight hours, hopefully Oneida don't get bogged down with a foot of snow for last rip at eyes Saturday..  what a day today, 44 and sunny already, wish I was out there.

You and me both! :-\

great job on perch Scout.

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7223 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:43 AM »

Funny I was driving for UPS when the big blizzard of 93 was about to hit, you could see that storm coming the day before, this storm starts tonight, I can't even see this storm, have the computer models really gotten this good in 20 yrs, we'll see.

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7224 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:04 AM »

Funny I was driving for UPS when the big blizzard of 93 was about to hit, you could see that storm coming the day before, this storm starts tonight, I can't even see this storm, have the computer models really gotten this good in 20 yrs, we'll see.
The tip of it is at PA and it stretches all the way to South Dakota

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7225 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:15 AM »

I agree with your insights Shane, I'll believe a foot plus when I see it.  Things just don't seem to add up right now for such  significant accumulations. The Buffalo forecasts are different on EVERY news station you listen to, I've seen a predicted 10"-14" on one station this morning, then just a few minutes ago I heard 6"-10" on the local AM radio station.  I think the snows will be very water laden, and accumulations will vary wildly. Not to mention the snow will begin by dropping on very warm ground, the first couple inches will likely melt before accumulations begin. I'm no Meteorologist either but I AM a fishing freak, and close weather observations go hand and hand with that. ;)

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7226 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Scout , awesome job on the jumbos and kudos to you for letting them go! It is hard to say enough is enough even when the freezer is full.  :thumbsup:

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7227 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:36 AM »
  march 12th ... blizzard of 93.

Never forget them activating emergency broadcasting,
first time since agnes, everyone took it serious after that.
Don't think emerengy broadcasting has been activated since.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7228 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Man that looks vicious!!  I forget, how much did that dump on us?

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7229 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Man that looks vicious!!  I forget, how much did that dump on us?

widespread 2 ft statewide, 42 inches in Syracuse.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.