New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5670 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Might help a little when it's all slush & soaked snow, however the down side is when the slush crusts over when the snowshoe breaks through and sink some you will repeatedly get the shoes caught on the underside of the skimmed over crap.  Can ocassionally start to or even trip you up.  Gets very annoying, tried it once.  Made it out 50 yards, took them off with some choice words.

Will really depend on the surface day you're going.

Makes good sense.  It wouldn't hurt to own a pair bein a walker and all.  I know it would've helped out this past weekend!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #5671 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Just take your time on the walk, think of how good the exercise is for you! Need a break, take one. What is the rush? Perhaps check some near shore spots? You never know.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #5672 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Lots of styles to choose from. Large person = large snow shoe. I spray the bottom of my snow shoes with silicone to prevent icing. I have 4 different pairs, PM me if anyone wants to give them a try. Our family likes to hike on the Finger Lakes trail in the winter, wouldn't do it without the shoes.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #5673 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:34 PM »
By friday evening 10-14" of slush, Saturday morning barely a crust over it maybe 1/2".  Most of that will soften back to all slush Saturday during the day.  Saturday night colder so that's when we'll get the 1-1.25" skim across the top of the slush for Sunday morning.
No machines, Sunday skim will be just strong enough to hold up your foot as you raise the other out of the slush, then kerplunk that one breaks through repeat the process.
The positive though on the walk out it may be strong enough to support a jet sled or shanty (as long as no smitty so the weight is dispersed more)  The million dollar question is "Is it going to soften enough Sunday day that on the way back in you wish you had the smitty?"

Depending on how many holes are drilled & cracks are open the next question is how much will the ice float & drain water or will the slush sink the ice more?

Looking at the 10day forecast by the end of next week it will be great conditions, just drilling through 22-28".

I'd have to say your pretty spot on with that bud......Just one variable, how much rain will fall in total? That WILL be the ultimate factor in the end, not much = DISASTER!!  A GOOD inch over a couple days = a quick melt down and mend!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5674 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:42 PM »
By friday evening 10-14" of slush, Saturday morning barely a crust over it maybe 1/2".  Most of that will soften back to all slush Saturday during the day.  Saturday night colder so that's when we'll get the 1-1.25" skim across the top of the slush for Sunday morning.
No machines, Sunday skim will be just strong enough to hold up your foot as you raise the other out of the slush, then kerplunk that one breaks through repeat the process.
The positive though on the walk out it may be strong enough to support a jet sled or shanty (as long as no smitty so the weight is dispersed more)  The million dollar question is "Is it going to soften enough Sunday day that on the way back in you wish you had the smitty?"

Depending on how many holes are drilled & cracks are open the next question is how much will the ice float & drain water or will the slush sink the ice more?

Looking at the 10day forecast by the end of next week it will be great conditions, just drilling through 22-28".

Just curious, do you guys build your smitty so that they can be taken apart or are they all fixed?  When I get done with mine I plan on using it under all conditions except for the one you mentioned above (needing surface area).  In that case, I'll just break it down, throw it in the shanty, and tow the shanty tub.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5675 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:50 PM »
  yeah that is kind creepy isn't it, you know what I meant.

Just finished catching up, glad your sons ok Jim.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5676 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:15 PM »
so....I know this is a pretty open ended question but I think it would be interesting to hear what everybody thinks about the outcome.....

When all is said and done by say Friday afternoon, what do you think we will be looking at conditions wise?  I'm thinkin' about 10 inches of wet slushy stuff, BUT, and this is a 2 part question, do you think the top layer along with the moisture content will be adequate enough to freeze pretty solid when the temps drop again?  I'm not so sure about that second part, hard to tell if the melt down will be substantial enough.....

All depends on wind, wind is your real snow eater, heavy winds when its warm and she'll loose a lot.

My prediction:   5-8 inches of slush Saturday morning with a small crust , plus humps where the drifts were from last refreeze and this one.. Told my buddy Jimmy too wait til sunday night for a total refreeze Monday.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #5677 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Just curious, do you guys build your smitty so that they can be taken apart or are they all fixed?  When I get done with mine I plan on using it under all conditions except for the one you mentioned above (needing surface area).  In that case, I'll just break it down, throw it in the shanty, and tow the shanty tub.

I built mine at first so I could take my sled off the smitty. Got tired of going back and getting the smitty when I made a small move. So I mounted the skis to the sled in what I call a drop down smitty. When pulling out to my spot I have the sled elevated on the smitty skis. When I get to where I want to go I pivot the sled down to the ice. Here is a link to pics. Go to the next page and see how I added wheels to the equation:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.980

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5678 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:59 PM »

Man I am confused now! What the heck should I use now? Oh yeah I don't have a machine, guess I will walk!
Fish On!

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5679 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:00 PM »

It was prob one of these ! Iv been fishing Oneida for years and I'd have to say catfish is the hardest pulling fish through the ice!
Wow great Fish.
Fish On!

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5680 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Was gonna make a run up to fish this weekend but looks like i will wait.Dying to get back the ice but don"t like to waste my time around here

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5681 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Just getting off the bay. Glad we stayed got out about 11 and ended up with 6. Biggest is 28inches. Wind and snow like crazy. Have to have a sled wheelers were getting stuck. Pics to come late tonight . Did I say that I'm moving up here? Amazing fishery

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #5682 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Nice job Pooch...Patiently waiting for the pics!!   :clap:
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5683 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Just getting off the bay. Glad we stayed got out about 11 and ended up with 6. Biggest is 28inches. Wind and snow like crazy. Have to have a sled wheelers were getting stuck. Pics to come late tonight . Did I say that I'm moving up here? Amazing fishery

Dang! Looking forward to the pics!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5684 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:52 PM »

It was prob one of these ! Iv been fishing Oneida for years and I'd have to say catfish is the hardest pulling fish through the ice!

Nice fish! Doesn't help much, but a really nice FISH! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5685 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:55 PM »

I'm drooling more over the ice conditions that day than the fish!
Nice catch none the less

Offline Christo571

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5686 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:19 PM »

Diehard. Nice job pooch

Offline Lakeside41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5687 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:38 PM »
I have been following the thread for several weeks. We were finally going to make a trip up to a camp on Fisher Bay this week. Did not make the trip due to everyone's reports. Thanks for sharing advice and reports it saved us some gas money and pain!  :)

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5688 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:28 PM »

Dang! Looking forward to the pics!

X2

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5689 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:34 PM »

well went out with fish for pike today little breezy, picked away all day at the perch ended up with 45 from 9.5-13", very moody had to play the game with them , snow conditions were much better than yesterday , it may not end up as bad as we were thinking a lot depends on the the amount of rain we get , with the weather forcasts I'm looking at short warm spell and some rain with cool temps at night might not be so bad , just keep our fingers crossed

well done pooch  :thumbsup:looking forward to the pics

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5690 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:35 PM »
looking forward to those pics to heading there in a couple days myself ,hopefully to get one bigger than the one I put on the wall last yr 11.3!!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5691 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:41 PM »
I'm drooling more over the ice conditions that day than the fish!
Nice catch none the less

me to, wish the conditions were like that now , but that is a nice cat well done Zpotter

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5692 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Nice job Pooch.  You getting fish all day, or primarily early and late?  We got set up at 3pm yesterday and had the first by 4pm.  Just wondering if it's worth the effort to get there at 10 or so.  I don't really want to get up at 2am to fish first light.  It's just too much for me when I have to go to work the next day.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5693 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:44 PM »

almost forgot nice release on the old girl Kingfisher

Offline rapala47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5694 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I'm looking to maybe head up there on Thursday and getting away from Oneida, never fished the Bay before, where are you getting on ?
I have the ability to walk on water....therefore I am!!!

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5695 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:42 PM »
I'm looking to maybe head up there on Thursday and getting away from Oneida, never fished the Bay before, where are you getting on ?

I can't help you with that question because I'm getting on at my friend's house.  However, there are 2 public boat launches with plenty of parking for machines.  There is the State Launch just over the Chaumont River bridge on the left past the NAPA store and there is Long Point State Park.  Long Point is probably 20 miles past the Chaumont launch.  There is also a small state launch in Three Mile Bay just over the bridge.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5696 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:45 PM »

After looking at the weather, we might burn down too bare ice by late Saturday.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5697 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:50 PM »

After looking at the weather, we might burn down too bare ice by late Saturday.

Going to go quick Friday with 30mph winds and high of 47F.  Doesn't look like too much rain but should settle it down to something alot more manageable.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5698 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Going to go quick Friday with 30mph winds and high of 47F.  Doesn't look like too much rain but should settle it down to something alot more manageable.

In the 90's I rented too a lot of Tug hill snowmobilers, 5 days out they would ask me how much snow we would have for riding the following weekend, I used to make predictions, back then no computers or models, I based my predictions off how many hours of strong winds we were gonna have and how many hours above freezing...it was in the 80's today in Oklahoma, 60 too Iowa, and 50 too Chicago, won't take much too raise temps to mid 50's near Oneida Friday morning with no snowpack in the Midwest now, you get big winds, even if only for 6-8 hours, you'll burn that snow too water.

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5699 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Nice job Pooch.  You getting fish all day, or primarily early and late?  We got set up at 3pm yesterday and had the first by 4pm.  Just wondering if it's worth the effort to get there at 10 or so.  I don't really want to get up at 2am to fish first light.  It's just too much for me when I have to go to work the next day.

Kingfisher,

Check PM's. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.