New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5610 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Getting ready for Chaumont in the morning!!!!!! Can't wait, hope it treats us well again.

We were there today, great conditions for a snowmobile, no slush aboutm12-16" of snow on top of 24" ice......  Saw a few quad tracks but didn't see quads. Did see a dune buggy, and a pickup truck out there.  Very slow all day until the last hour and a half.    Good luck hope you slay them again!

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5611 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Thanks for the report Otto

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5612 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:54 PM »
:-* :-* :-*
There's a reason no one thought could be Palermo or the Fulton area in general, there was a word more than a primal grunt or single syllable.
Thought you especially would've noticed.....
Everything is shorter in "south swigo"
Down in dem dare parts deys talkn silly but short, & to da point.
End of story
 :P
See ya had to get me started! I was gonna play nice today too
 :P

I didn't even start anything Bacon Grease. You have no right giving us a hard time either. At least we don't lean over a gas hole to release a Largemouth. What a clown ::)
It'll eat.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5613 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:00 PM »

Jim glad the boy is OK ,

went out today ice measured 16" every spot I fish , ended up with 31 perch, and a pin pike mixed in , going isn't to bad but the snow underneath has no body to it very fine , we need a few warm days and cool nights , wheelers are still out of the equation , saw where some guy beat the tar out of his just to get out a couple hundred yards , stuck twice

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5614 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Nice job Freddie

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5615 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:05 PM »

hope you get that 10 lber your looking for pooch

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5616 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Thanks for the info first time going. Good luck to everyone out there.

Put 9440 Lewis Pt Rd, Canastota in your Garmin and the parking area is a little past that on the right
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5617 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Spending the night out on Scary Erie ::) GL with that doobie. What you gonna do after 8pm. Sounds like a longggggg night of drinking.lol

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5618 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Glad to hear your son is fine Hookin'up.  That's the most important part of your tough day and it sounds like it will end well.

Ran up to Chaumont today with BB4 for the afternoon bite.  Nice leisurely day.  Left my house at noon, hit a couple bait shops and got on the water around 3pm.  Fished until 5:50 and packed it in while we still had some light.  Pretty good trip.  I went 3 for 3 on walleyes and BB4 went 1 for 2.  Got the first eye around 4:00 and the last one around 5:15.  Only measured the last one which was slightly bigger than the rest and it went 29".  Man, they slammed it!

Didn't measure the ice but I would say it is close to 24" plus or minus a few inches.  Mostly good clear ice with maybe 4" of white ice on top.  Much less snow than Oneida, I would say only 8-10"

The first one.

The second one.

The last one.  29"

The last one going back.  They all went back.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5619 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Here's a few perch from Saturday.  Had to modify my post.  The first picture was from early ice. 

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5620 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Beautiful fish Kingfisher. No scale? I'd love to know what that 29" weighed.

BTW. What'd ya catch 'em on? Or is that Moonshine just a decoy?

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #5621 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Beautiful fish Kingfisher. No scale? I'd love to know what that 29" weighed.

BTW. What'd ya catch 'em on? Or is that Moonshine just a decoy?

I think he forgot to edit that out.

Nice eyes Kingfisher!
The tug is the drug.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5622 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Thanks.  No decoy.  I really caught it on that lure.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5623 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:03 PM »

Got a ride out today with Fred and Phil this morning, wow cold ride out, 15 below zero on northshore....I did ok the first  hour and last, but my mid day move was a looser, 400 feet move in knee deep snow, packing slush down and drilling threw 20 inches ice wore me out, I just sat there, said screw it... I aint moving again.  10 real nice jumbos and 3 eyes , one keeper was all I could muster, lost many perch at the bottom of the ice hole......the other 6 hrs I just relaxed even took a nap.  ;D

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5624 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:10 PM »

just was outside, east winds are ripping, looks like quite the little blizzard for tomorrow morning...

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #5625 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:02 AM »
glad you got onto some perch freddie ;D nice looking eye's kingfisher wow :flex: :icefish: good luck today pooch and racer ;) they just posted up a flood warning thru saturday now. its going to get real ugly out there :P
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5626 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:12 AM »
Awesome job on the eyes kingfisher.
Nice job with the perch Freddie

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5627 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Nice job guys. Those are some nice eyes KF!

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #5628 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Hey Hookinup you used to work with a guy named Mike Birchinoff? He was talking about a guy he used to work with that fished Oneida a lot. He was talking about how you were showing him a picture of all the burbot you got there that one day this ice fishing season. The name sound familiar?

Hey Chief... Yep. I know Mike well. He and I both worked out of the Fulton shop for a number of years. I took a different job, based out of Altmar, but I still see him occasionally at meetings and other visits to the Fulton shop. Good group of guys there. We have shared many hunting and fishing stories...as you might have guessed.
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5629 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:36 AM »
If the acu weather 30 day forecast is right we might be pushing 30" of ice by March.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5630 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:39 AM »
   Got a ride out today with Fred and Phil this morning, wow cold ride out, 15 below zero on northshore....I did ok the first  hour and last, but my mid day move was a looser, 400 feet move in knee deep snow, packing slush down and drilling threw 20 inches ice wore me out, I just sat there, said screw it... I aint moving again.  10 real nice jumbos and 3 eyes , one keeper was all I could muster, lost many perch at the bottom of the ice hole......the other 6 hrs I just relaxed even took a nap.  ;D

That machine looks like it rides high for those conditions, looks awesome!

Snagger, that's how I feel on a good day, but it's not too bad considering everything! And naps are mandatory!  ;D

Kingfisher22, awesome walleye!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5631 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:00 AM »
We are up here at chaumont and as of yet not able to get up gusting to 40mph don't really want to wreck the shanty and end up in canada but then again we did not get up at 330 for nothing what's that word we call ourselves diehards

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5632 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:04 AM »
If the acu weather 30 day forecast is right we might be pushing 30" of ice by March.

I hope so, got to make up for these days lost to plowing. Hopefully in April, that would be cool!

However, she won't be making anything till that garbage thats out there settles down and freezes up.  What a mess!

Sounds like a rough day Jim, glad everything is ok with the boy and it's still better than working I bet!  I'm dying to get out but not sounding like it's worth the frustration right now.  Hoping things begin to turn around soon.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5633 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:07 AM »
We are up here at chaumont and as of yet not able to get up gusting to 40mph don't really want to wreck the shanty and end up in canada but then again we did not get up at 330 for nothing what's that word we call ourselves diehards

That stinks Pooch.  40mph is no joke, wrecking your gear can get quite expensive!

Offline Christo571

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5634 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Hopefully you get lucky pooch, good time for breakfast, the two boys
I guess would be the worry, getting bored hopefully not. Good luck.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5635 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:56 AM »

Snowing good up here, looks like Oneida is getting missed!   ;D

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5636 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:05 AM »

That machine looks like it rides high for those conditions, looks awesome!

Snagger, that's how I feel on a good day, but it's not too bad considering everything! And naps are mandatory!  ;D

Kingfisher22, awesome walleye!

I didn't care what was in my first hole, it was too cold, But I still took the time too just shovel the snow half way down, especially under my sled, then just cleaned hole out with scooper and evened it out, fished with tent up til it hardened, no frozen slush on my shanty all day, no water in my shanty either, but that stuff takes time, time that should be spent on finding fish, is what it is til it compacts down friday and re freezes sunday.....just glad I had friends who gave me a lift out so I could b***h about the snow, should of heard fred all day, he made me laugh a few times when he was swearing after burying his sled.  pretty good stuff... I'm cleaning 10 perch soon, now that that I'm home I'm glad I don't have 30 too clean, 11-12 inch males, my favorite.

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5637 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. My son will be OK. He's still a little sensitive to bright light, but heading back to Oswego for classes tomorrow. The other stuff is just normal crap that happens sometimes. Nothing that can't be fixed. Grateful for that. It's the bad days that make the good days better...and make them perch taste so good!!

Zach--thanks for the idea on the ski wax. I am going to replace a couple of my hyfax runners, and I may try that. I've been paying attention to your posts. You are one of the biggest diehards on this site IMHO. Waking up at 2:30 to drive to the lake and hike out on snowshoes and fishing dark-til-dark...getting it done with your own custom made rods. You da man Bro!
Thanks Jim,
but I can't take all the credit, I have a great group of family and friends that are alongside me every trip.
Kowasz

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5638 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:12 AM »
  I didn't care what was in my first hole, it was too cold, But I still took the time too just shovel the snow half way down, especially under my sled, then just cleaned hole out with scooper and evened it out, fished with tent up til it hardened, no frozen slush on my shanty all day, no water in my shanty either, but that stuff takes time, time that should be spent on finding fish, is what it is til it compacts down friday and re freezes sunday.....just glad I had friends who gave me a lift out so I could b***h about the snow, should of heard fred all day, he made me laugh a few times when he was swearing after burying his sled.  pretty good stuff... I'm cleaning 10 perch soon, now that that I'm home I'm glad I don't have 30 too clean, 11-12 inch males, my favorite.

I'm sorry SNAGGER.  I just had to laugh at the last line.. ;D

Offline jiggeremp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5639 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Went out at   North shore sun. Got a few perch   Deep snow made moving hard did see a few other die hard fishermen out we're not afraid of a little snow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.