New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5130 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I purchashed a AA lite float suit this year, and love it!! it's nice having the security of the suit, and it has plenty of crotch room !! ::).   Sully...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5131 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:52 PM »

Meant too say something the other day, thanks for all the detailed reports this season Bcons, you been really hitting the ice hard this yr, hopefully I'll be back at it more than once a week starting Thursday.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5132 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Happy Birthday Shane. :thumbsup:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #5133 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Snag I have a question being you have all the weather gadgets to look at. Just kidding but on the extended forecast I saw today I saw 50's next week. Have you seen anything on that or am I seeing stuff.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5134 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:57 PM »
I would bring the wheeler and judge saturday morning for yourself.
Last weekend it was 4-8" in most spots.  This new snow is very dry light & fluffy.  Light breeze 6-12 all week will lay it down some.  At or just above freezing Thurs. Couple above Friday.  Hopefully what's left not packed down will get warm and damp and compress a decent amount.
Cold Friday night through the weekend will stiffen it right up.

I'm guessing 5-10 fairly packed inches this weekend (as long as that storm stays south).

Everyone knows their machine & ability, but thinking wheelers will be all over this weekend
Good luck.
gonna load the wheeler and the smitty sled my wheeler and flip over do not like alot of snow 5-10 would b ok and if it bogs down i'll turn around and go to the Legion lol

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #5135 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Just make sure the crotch in your float suit is not ripped out!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D :woot: :roflmao:
dont wear my float suit on the tractor. i save that for out on the ice ;) the crotch seems fine as far as i can tell :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5136 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Snag I have a question being you have all the weather gadgets to look at. Just kidding but on the extended forecast I saw today I saw 50's next week. Have you seen anything on that or am I seeing stuff.

The Artic pattern looks too break down, and if it breaks like the previous breaks in December and January, and usually history repeats itself, I'd say we got a good chance at 50's, this is a long broken pattern similar to the big winters....1918, 77 and 79, I see no reason that we don't stay cold threw end of march after the thaw though.  This is exactly why I bought a power auger 3 weeks ago, I haven't used it yet, but its ready if I need it... if we tack on another 8 inches of white ice, we'll be drilling threw 2 ft of ice soon, I found 40 inches in one spot Saturday., must of set up on a shove of some sort, as most ice was 16 inches everywhere else.

Offline Larry D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5137 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Happy Birthday Snagger

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #5138 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Happy Birthday Snagger!  I don't know you, but I read every one of your posts and have learned a lot.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience! 

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5139 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I like the discussion on "ice suits"  I'm in the market - sale prices now in effect.  ;D  Been looking at the Striker stuff - one of the local shops have them, in stock and on sale.  I would like to understand, better the different models.  The "Ice Climate" model of the jacket and bibs have removable liners, I see and the prolly the outer shell on the different models is different?
                                            It's  a good  topic  i  agree, i would   rather  get  opinions from  the  hardcore  fisherman  than  anyone  else . Im  in  th e market  for one myself. Ran  into a guy  the  other day  who  had a mustang  survival suit, wish  i had   asked him  about it. anyone  ever own  one  they  must  be real   pricey.

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5140 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:07 PM »
  Back in my drinkin days I remember one time  me and a friend and some local girls got all bombed up at the hotel and took a February swim in the salmon river in our birthday suits.. :woot:
That was Paul ::)))
 Happy Birthday man!
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5142 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Nice  :clap:

Offline icecusan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5143 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:21 PM »
ok now I just want to add my 2cents about this suit debate 2 years ago I purchased a new AA suit  at the time it was my best investment for the ice no problem with the crotch issue (being on the ice all day solves that kinda like kramer  blaming it on the pool) ;) ;) ;) I now rank it third on my list having just purchased a new wheeler and a 6in nils this year that's the ticket HOW EVER if I should happen to ever take the plunge I have no interest in talking to charley (the tuna) while im down there ;D ;D then it would automatically shoot right back to the top of my list as safety always takes top priority while on the ice wouldn't want to ruin my day and everyone elses out there  ;D  now lets catch some fish     scout57 if I don't see you at work in the next two weeks have a great retirement and maybe ill see you on the ice    good luck  I got 4 more years :'( :'( :'(
walk on water

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5144 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:45 PM »
                                            It's  a good  topic  i  agree, i would   rather  get  opinions from  the  hardcore  fisherman  than  anyone  else . Im  in  th e market  for one myself. Ran  into a guy  the  other day  who  had a mustang  survival suit, wish  i had   asked him  about it. anyone  ever own  one  they  must  be real   pricey.

I opted for a rugged set of bibs, then bought the mustang survival jacket on those iffy days.  the Material for mustang seemed like it could catch fire or rip easy, so knew I would destroy it if I bought a whole suit.  I looked at every suit, they all didn't seem rugged enough for me til I found the snosuit.  just my 2 cents.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5145 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:47 PM »
That was Paul ::)))
 Happy Birthday man!

What memories Ross, god that was a hell of an afternoon. I can still see the girls dancing on the pool tables right now!!!   :woot:

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #5146 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Happy Birthday Snagger!  I don't know you, but I read every one of your posts and have learned a lot.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience!

X's 2 Shane, one more day on top is a good one!

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5147 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:00 PM »
  What memories Ross, god that was a hell of an afternoon. I can still see the girls dancing on the pool tables right now!!!   :woot:
You are right mate , i feel the same but my hart it's young , bee happy you made it ;)
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5148 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:02 PM »
45.....thats it....I've got gray pubic hair your age for crying out loud.....lol.....happy birthday......2 weeks till retirement ;D.....watch out oneida lake and Kanon Valley golf course cause here I come

2 weeks... good for you, in this day and age, not everyone gets a retirement anymore, hope yours is great.

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5149 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:25 PM »

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #5150 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:31 PM »
  2 weeks... good for you, in this day and age, not everyone gets a retirement anymore, hope yours is great.
thanks......30 yrs is enough......getting up every day at 5 and driving the same route every day has worn on me I guess,,,,looking forward to it....maybe get to fish with you north shore thugz soon

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5151 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Here is my two cents...

I have an Ice Armor Extreme suit...best money I ever spent ($350 at Gander...about $280 online from some place in Minnesota). This suit is toasty warm and has the wind blocking properties of a Carhartt. I rarely take my shanty...a bucket and this suit and I can last all day.

I went through last year off the SW corner of the main islands (20 FOW, 12 degree temps and a mile offshore). While my suit isn't touted as "floating" I can assure you that it kept me afloat long enough to scramble out of the water. When I went in a certain amount of air got trapped in the suit and I floated. I did go completely into the water, treading water and all. Of course, if I decided to be in there much longer I would've sunk like the Titanic.

There are also plenty of pockets on this suit and a handy fuzzy thing (technical name) on the chest to hang my jigs while re-rigging. Great suit but a considerable investment. However, I would spend the money again in a heartbeat.

Thought...has anybody considered wearing a traditional lifejacket under their non-floating suit? Not to sound soft, but I did do this the first few times after breaking through the ice...it minimized the shaking knees.  ;D

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5152 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:37 PM »
All of this talk of your crotches is getting HT excited. Let's change the subject ::)
It'll eat.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5153 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:38 PM »

Get that sun tan lotion ready, here it comes.

should of used lotion back in the old days, look at our noses.

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5154 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:41 PM »

x2...hoping to someday meet up with the "mythical" Snagger to get some pointers  ;D

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5155 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Happy Bday Snag!
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5156 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:14 PM »
50's and 60's? That'll be an interesting day on the ice

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5157 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:27 PM »

March of 2005, made it to march 31st .... last week started in the 50's ended near 70 degrees, rot 10 inches of ice, but go below freezing every night, we spent 7 straight days at the beach bowl, man that was a good yr.  jeans and no shirt.  30 pks were going down nicely.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5158 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:38 AM »
Happy Birthday! And many more...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline owascolake10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5159 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:40 AM »
Wheelers still ok on the lake? Staying with friends in Sylvan for the weekend .... gonna fish ..if anyone wants to meet up i have the wheeler but dont want to fight the snow..... will have my Smitty sled just in case lol
i was a long ways out of constantia yesterday with mine and i do not have chains. i got around o.k. but there are a few slushy areas i made sure to stay clear of.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.