New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5070 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Yeah, I agree with DC, God forbid we talk about ice fishing related items on here. >:( >:( >:(
I read back through all the posts on ice suits, but didn't see any comments as to whether these AA or Striker suits are USCG approved;
They seem not to be looking at the web, I think I want something that is approved so I can wear it on the boat as well.
Limited budget guy I guess.
Happy B-day to Snag, and Tank!
that artic armor suit is to warm for the boat

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5071 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:51 AM »
thinking more for march-april, and november-december

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #5072 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:22 PM »
John you know your preaching to the choir when you bring up slush funds here. I just revamped most of my gear for this season to get a fresh start no headaches. Yah right here we go and I drop another G note cause now the old lady wants to go sometimes. So I needed a new auger ended up with a Ion, then the shanty is to small so sell my new used 12x Clam pro thermal and get a Yukon and then said screw it and with all this talk about suits just ordered the AA lite suit. So what about a budget, I am gonna have to hitch a ride with you from now on to go to Oneida. LOL

LOL! Yep, it NEVER ends!  Believe it or not I've only bought a small handful of jigs this year!  :o THATS IT!!  I checked my inventory back in December and said to myself, "self, I don't NEED anything!" Except maybe a suit....But after purchasing a new Guide Wear suit from Cabela's in the fall, ( and you know how much those things run!! :o...BUT they are SOOOO NICE!!!)on top of the new boat I bought last spring and everything I needed to outfit that, not including the new Lowrance  and I-pilot I'm getting in another month or so......Fweuw!!!  My new motto has become  " if it ain't broke, I aint fixin' OR replacin' it!!!"

On ice I got everything I need and then some.....Oh yeah,I need new boots too!  ;) What?!?!? Their " broke!!"  ;D

As for catchin' a ride, welp, if you don't mind riding on top of my quad I have no problem with it.... ;)Thats about the only room I have!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5073 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I have a jig buying habit. Just ordered some pk flutterfish. Hoping they get here before Friday. They look awesome

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #5074 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:36 PM »
OMG!! Can you imagine Filet and Release having the discussion about who is older!!!  :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: too funny!!--KP @)
Yes! If we video tape it...it's a winner$$$!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Wayne W.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #5075 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:37 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNAGGER AND TANK!! :thumbsup:
X2!!!  :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline shimanoman45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5076 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Happy bday SNAGGER

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #5077 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:51 PM »
LOL! Yep, it NEVER ends!  Believe it or not I've only bought a small handful of jigs this year!  :o THATS IT!!  I checked my inventory back in December and said to myself, "self, I don't NEED anything!" Except maybe a suit....But after purchasing a new Guide Wear suit from Cabela's in the fall, ( and you know how much those things run!! :o...BUT they are SOOOO NICE!!!)on top of the new boat I bought last spring and everything I needed to outfit that, not including the new Lowrance  and I-pilot I'm getting in another month or so......Fweuw!!!  My new motto has become  " if it ain't broke, I aint fixin' OR replacin' it!!!"

On ice I got everything I need and then some.....Oh yeah,I need new boots too!  ;) What?!?!? Their " broke!!"  ;D
As for catchin' a ride, welp, if you don't mind riding on top of my quad I have no problem with it.... ;)Thats about the only room I have!
Hey as long as I get there its all good. I got a helmet and a rigid bar as well HaHa
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5078 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:00 PM »
AA vs Striker... Striker - better venting, pockets, adjustable inseam, and the coupdegra - full length leg zippers = no brainer...
Year after year I nearly bought AA but hated the fit on the bibs and the bulk. Along came more floating options and Striker lites. No complaints...  ;D
Of course everyone that bought AA think they are awesome, and they are... But....
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the IDI Arctic Armor suits WERE NOT designed to be ice fishing suits !   They just happened to be very adequate when used for ice fishing !
  I like the idea of the Striker suits but a couple years ago, when I planned to buy one, I couldn't find one that fit properly, sizes were out of whack, zippers were not heavy duty, the bibs weren't high enough in the back and they were also restricting.
   After reading reviews for 2 days, I found that there were numerous problems with the Striker suits.   Crotches ripping out, buttons not staying snapped, stitching falling apart and then when people sent their suits back for the crotch ripping out after a couple days of use, they came back with a patch on them  ::) ::)
  The next day, I bought a second Arctic Armor suit.   
  I'm sure that Striker has dealt with the problems with their suits but when trying to cut into a market that IDI had already established with a great product, you shouldn't introduce your product(s) until you get it right !  ;)

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5079 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:06 PM »
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the IDI Arctic Armor suits WERE NOT designed to be ice fishing suits !   They just happened to be very adequate when used for ice fishing !
  I like the idea of the Striker suits but a couple years ago, when I planned to buy one, I couldn't find one that fit properly, sizes were out of whack, zippers were not heavy duty, the bibs weren't high enough in the back and they were also restricting.
   After reading reviews for 2 days, I found that there were numerous problems with the Striker suits.   Crotches ripping out, buttons not staying snapped, stitching falling apart and then when people sent their suits back for the crotch ripping out after a couple days of use, they came back with a patch on them  ::) ::)
  The next day, I bought a second Arctic Armor suit.   
  I'm sure that Striker has dealt with the problems with their suits but when trying to cut into a market that IDI had already established with a great product, you shouldn't introduce your product(s) until you get it right !  ;)

LMAO ..... I call BS on all of this ....
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #5080 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I know that all this about the suits is starting to get to people. You have to think about it though its all about the good ole dollars. I have been using a set of bass pro gortex rainwear the last 2 seasons. I just throw on the thermal base layer a pair of sweats and sweatshirt and have been fine. Honestly everyone's body is different as well so what one person is comfy in the next person may not be. I just purchased the AA suit cause I have been through the ice 2x on 2 different bodies of water. Scary crap when you feel your clothing getting heavier and your body is in shock and slows down. For me its the floatation should it happen again and I hope it never does.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5081 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I second this ^ I layer clothing with raingear on the outside to stay dry. It also cuts the wind out.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5082 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I personally just went to the local Gander here because I figured well all the spring stuff is coming in and the AA would be on sale. Nope to my surprise the insulated AA was $399 for both pieces and they do seem to run a size bigger. I tried on the XL cause that's what all my other gear is and way to big but of course they didn't have any larges to compare it to. so to the web I go.
Just saw some pretty good deals on the IDI website.  www.idigear.com
  Certain suits were priced from $269.00 to $319.00.
Other places had them for 10 to 20 bucks more but gave you a pair of gloves and free shipping.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5083 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:35 PM »
How much snow is on the lake and are wheelers getting around ?
Dave

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5084 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:36 PM »

hes right about striker crotches ripping. happened to me last season.  had to send them back on my dime to get warranty and they sent them back with a patch. these were the first generation ones with the bobber on them. they told me it was a design flaw that they forgot to double stich the crotch like they do if you buy a pair of jeans. they also do ride low and the straps do night cinch up at all.   after all that, i still like them more than AA

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5085 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:52 PM »
You can start here and this is just one page from one thread !
 You can do your own research after that  ::)

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2745646/My_Striker_Ice_Floating_Suit_R

Then....
 Re: Striker Ice suit

I have last year's model hardwater striker ice suit. Although I am satisfied with my suit i've had some issues. Previous suit has issues with wear & tear of crotch area, mines tore after 2nd use and was promptly repaired.

The suit keeps me warm but the zipper vents allows some cold air to pass through. And the knee pads are ok on clear ice and fluffy snow but uncomfy on rough ice. You will feel any bits of ice chips.

Also rain or water will soak the knee pad and suit. It hasnt soak through but become damp on the outer layer which is also uncomfy.

Other then those issues it has served me satisfactory. I believe striker ice has addressed these issues in their current model suits this year.

And...

I bought the floating bibs this year and I am not impressed. Several issues. This year they added 4 inches to the suit but forgot to adjust the padded knee area accordingly. My knee pads are so low they are like shin pads. I have an XL. Also the cargo pockets are way to narrow, I can barely get my hands into the pockets and my hands are not huge by any means. The suit is also fraying in many spots. I am going back to my ice armor next year.

And...

the butt padding balled up and fell to the bottom of the compartment in my pair of bibs after a 1 week trip.

There's hundreds of comments like this since Striker started making their suits.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5086 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Cross-eye is not wrong, delusinal but not wrong...  ;D
They did have a bad batch of crotches....

But hes the first person that I ever heard complain about sizeing issues(look at him  ;D) on Strikers

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5087 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:57 PM »
 There are suit threads for this. I want to read about fishing/conditions/more stories from the past :p it's killing me having to go a week without fishing and having new toys to try out. Bahh.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5088 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:00 PM »
Ok, nobody is fishing and/or not posting, so you can read about tow-bars and suits... or nothing...  :icefish:

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5089 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Who's fishing the perch tournament this sat.?

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5090 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I will just chime in on the suit thing one time. Cross eye you know as well as I 2 yrs in this industry is a lifetime. When products hit they sometime take time to make tweeks. Striker was designed initially for snowmobilers. They have come a long way. Todd frank is my striker ice rep. He spent quite a bit of time educating me on the suits. I believe both them and idi make a great product. Im hoping this dosnt become vex vs marcum 2 because there is no need. They are both good and will both give you a chance when in a bad situation
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5091 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Ok, nobody is fishing and/or not posting, so you can read about tow-bars and suits... or nothing...  :icefish:

:woot:

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5092 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Cross-eye is not wrong, delusinal but not wrong...  ;D
They did have a bad batch of crotches....

But hes the first person that I ever heard complain about sizeing issues(look at him  ;D) on Strikers
You have a 28" inseam  ;D ;D   I pulled the bibs up and they fit like clam diggers with a spring loaded crotch ! ;D

BTW... After checking the IDI site, they've now got a suit designed for Ice Fishing.   Has all the zippered vents, fleece lined pockets, padding and all the other good options that come with their other suits.    Might have to sell my other AA suit and get one of these....just because  ;D

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5093 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:22 PM »
I will just chime in on the suit thing one time. Cross eye you know as well as I 2 yrs in this industry is a lifetime. When products hit they sometime take time to make tweeks. Striker was designed initially for snowmobilers. They have come a long way. Todd frank is my striker ice rep. He spent quite a bit of time educating me on the suits. I believe both them and idi make a great product. Im hoping this dosnt become vex vs marcum 2 because there is no need. They are both good and will both give you a chance when in a bad situation

Oh sure be the voice of reason ......  ;D

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5094 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:24 PM »

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2745646/My_Striker_Ice_Floating_Suit_R

Then....

I have last year's model hardwater striker ice suit. Although I am satisfied with my suit i've had some issues. Previous suit has issues with wear & tear of crotch area, mines tore after 2nd use and was promptly repaired.

The suit keeps me warm but the zipper vents allows some cold air to pass through. And the knee pads are ok on clear ice and fluffy snow but uncomfy on rough ice. You will feel any bits of ice chips.

Also rain or water will soak the knee pad and suit. It hasnt soak through but become damp on the outer layer which is also uncomfy.

Other then those issues it has served me satisfactory. I believe striker ice has addressed these issues in their current model suits this year.

And...

I bought the floating bibs this year and I am not impressed. Several issues. This year they added 4 inches to the suit but forgot to adjust the padded knee area accordingly. My knee pads are so low they are like shin pads. I have an XL. Also the cargo pockets are way to narrow, I can barely get my hands into the pockets and my hands are not huge by any means. The suit is also fraying in many spots. I am going back to my ice armor next year.

And...

the butt padding balled up and fell to the bottom of the compartment in my pair of bibs after a 1 week trip.

There's hundreds of comments like this since Striker started making their suits.
I have heard the same from buddy's who have them. I know a buddy that has used and abused his IDI suit and it is still holding up after numerous years of wearing it so I would have to agree with cross eye on this one

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5095 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:36 PM »

Then....

And...

And...

Holy Smokes dude ....    #2745646 - 01/09/12 04:46 PM    My Striker Ice Floating Suit Review

2 years ago ? I don't even think they make that original suit any longer .... 

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #5096 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:39 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNAGGER AND TANK!! :thumbsup:

x2

Offline leatherneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5097 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:40 PM »
X2!!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5098 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:44 PM »
All These Crotch Experts debating quality of Crotches?

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #5099 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:52 PM »
I may not have a striker or arctic Armor suit, but I still stay warm in my 30 year old sears snowmobile suit. I know it doesn't float, but I don't plan on going in either. I know nobody does, unless you are Brandon Ross on channel nine news.
kc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.