New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5010 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:54 PM »
There's an angler parking area. Once there follow the tracks to the lake.

Offline lonefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5011 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Hello everyone i am new to  Oneida Lake ice fishing, i am planning a trip in the morning, i am having a hard time finding a bait shop in the area any help would be great. Thanks Be safe and tight lines
you can't rollerskate in a buffalo heard

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5012 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:05 PM »
There are now baitshops on every side of the lake. west side...Bartels. north shore..apps. east/south Marion manor and boufs bait

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5013 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:07 PM »
he said that to me 3 years ago ??? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: i dont think he knows or cares anymore. lol ::) ::) ;D

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5014 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Opps clicked too fast isn"t that why some refer to him as the old buzzard

Offline lonefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5015 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:10 PM »
There are now baitshops on every side of the lake. west side...Bartels. north shore..apps. east/south Marion manor and boufs bait
Thanks im going to go off Mill st. anything close

Offline PKnotlost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5016 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:12 PM »
My Ion just showed up, can't wait to try it.  Looks like Thursday will be my 1st chance to get out.  No more hand or gas auger for me, I hope anyways.

Your going to be amazed at just how nice it is..

Offline icedawg14622

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5017 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Don't think you'll have too many problems with Oneida 'eyes and a 5 inch hole.  It's easier with a bigger hole but I dare say 99% of the 'eyes you'll catch will fit.  Bigger problem is hooking them first!  Good luck.

Thanks Kingfisher!
Jeff

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5018 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:46 PM »
A couple years ago my buddy went threw 16" of crystalized ice with artic armour on. he poped out like a cork. yes, they do work well.   Sully...
Hey Sully..... I know that guy  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D    A little ways out from Oneida Shores Park.
    20 minutes earlier, 2 guys had just dragged a huge shack with all of their gear right over the same spot where I took the dip.     I had been through the ice a few times before with the Arctic Armor suit but never unexpectedly like that day.   It was like someone pulled the carpet out from under me.  No warning ! :o
  To add a little to this, the Arctic Armor suits are not only the best floatation suits for the money but they're also the warmest and driest suits you'll ever wear.  Actually, they're too warm at times.
   IDI Arctic Armor uses 22 ounces of floatation material in each suit.   7 ounces of the floatation material that they use will float 300 pounds.  That explains why even a guy of my suave, stealthy and statuesque physique popped out of that hole like a cork !   :whistle: :whistle: ;D ;D

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5019 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Have to say this is my second year with the AA plus suit. Kind of disappointed. The stitching isn't the best. Some of the seams are starting to slowly separate from the stitching..also have a nice rip in the bottom right leg. I am going to try a new flotation suit. Maybe next year. Overall just not happy with the quality for the $$$
It'll eat.

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #5020 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I have the Striker Bibs and they are built very good, full leg zippers ,magnetic hold down flaps and very rugged. I got them last year and I did have to return them because the knee pads were too low , they fixed them this season and replaced my bibs , no questions asked. I wear them without the insulation liner , just Merino wool long underwear when I am in the otter. I give them 2 thumbs UP....

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #5021 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Have to say this is my second year with the AA plus suit. Kind of disappointed. The stitching isn't the best. Some of the seams are starting to slowly separate from the stitching..also have a nice rip in the bottom right leg. I am going to try a new flotation suit. Maybe next year. Overall just not happy with the quality for the $$$
hey Chief, that suit is'nt made for sliding down large hills with rocks sticking up !!! ::) ::) ::).   Sully...

Offline icecusan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5022 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Hey Sully..... I know that guy  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D    A little ways out from Oneida Shores Park.
    20 minutes earlier, 2 guys had just dragged a huge shack with all of their gear right over the same spot where I took the dip.     I had been through the ice a few times before with the Arctic Armor suit but never unexpectedly like that day.   It was like someone pulled the carpet out from under me.  No warning ! :o
  To add a little to this, the Arctic Armor suits are not only the best floatation suits for the money but they're also the warmest and driest suits you'll ever wear.  Actually, they're too warm at times.
   IDI Arctic Armor uses 22 ounces of floatation material in each suit.   7 ounces of the floatation material that they use will float 300 pounds.  That explains why even a guy of my suave, stealthy and statuesque physique popped out of that hole like a cork !   :whistle: :whistle: ;D ;D

walk on water

Offline icecusan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5023 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:34 PM »
hey cross-eye-jig if aa suits have 22oz of floatation material and 7 oz will float 300lbs then by my math 1 suit will float 943 lbs now if I buy a suit to put on my new wheeler, somehow, could I drive it out on last ice and have it float when I go in ???     just a thought   
walk on water

Offline Crappie Crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Crappie Crushen Fool
« Reply #5024 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Your going to be amazed at just how nice it is..

you aint kidding mine just showed up and it is amazing.
Crush them crappie

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5025 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:31 PM »
hey cross-eye-jig if aa suits have 22oz of floatation material and 7 oz will float 300lbs then by my math 1 suit will float 943 lbs now if I buy a suit to put on my new wheeler, somehow, could I drive it out on last ice and have it float when I go in ???     just a thought
Sure thing !  Just tie the suit to the rear rack and have at it !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I got my AA suit during the winter of 2007/2008.   I wear it ice fishing, spring, fall and while snow blowing etc.   My suit is in great shape with no signs of any stitching coming loose anywhere.     I bought a second suit in 2010 just in case they stopped making them or my first suit got ruined somehow.   I haven't taken the second suit out of the bag yet.   
  There are no suits on the market that will stand up to ice auger blades, tears from sharp sticks, burns from ATV exhausts or heaters, battery acid and other unexpected mishaps or blatant abuse.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5026 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:40 AM »
That's probably true but I saw Chiefs' suit the other day and the stiching is unraveling. That should not happen. I think he got a Monday morning suit and should get ahold of the company.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #5027 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:15 AM »
call the company chief and tell them whats happening to your suit. just like anything else that we buy now days. there will be a lemon at times. i would like to see how arc ;)tic armor handles this problem.
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5028 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:27 AM »
Hey Lonefisher, going out of Mill St from Scriba I would say Bartell Road Bait and Tackle is your best bet.  One of Ice Shanty's sponsors.  It's right off the Brewerton exit to the west about 1/4 mile or so.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5029 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:44 AM »
Couldn't agree more with the positives stated about the AA suits. Have had mine for 3 seasons with no problems whatsoever. Fortunately, I can't provide a personal opinion on "floatability" issues. Think Chief may have just got a bad one that the company should take care of.

Believe Freddie is spot on about the mid-ice lull period. Sunday had major issues with getting eyes to hit and yesterday had a tough time with the yellows. Managed 8 good ones but marked many more that simply would not respond. Even 2lb test and micro jigs did not not work very well.

Gonna target something different today.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #5030 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:23 AM »
That's probably true but I saw Chiefs' suit the other day and the stiching is unraveling. That should not happen. I think he got a Monday morning suit and should get ahold of the company.
I agree with you Pequad1. def. sounds like a monday suit. call AA, and they should stand by thier product.   Sully...

Offline lonefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5031 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Thanks Kingfisher22

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5032 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:41 AM »

There are no suits on the market that will stand up to ice auger blades, tears from sharp sticks, burns from ATV exhausts or heaters, battery acid and other unexpected mishaps or blatant abuse.

AA vs Striker... Striker - better venting, pockets, adjustable inseam, and the coupdegra - full length leg zippers = no brainer...
Year after year I nearly bought AA but hated the fit on the bibs and the bulk. Along came more floating options and Striker lites. No complaints...  ;D
Of course everyone that bought AA think they are awesome, and they are... But....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5033 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:47 AM »

Happy Birthday Snagg...   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5034 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:02 AM »
X2 on the b-day snagger!!! You fishing?

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #5035 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Fished with a few Striker guys this past weekend, they absolutely LOVED those suits!

I'm in the market for a new one, just having a hard time making up my mind.  The Cabela's ice suits are real nice, IA Extreme suits are real nice, The Frabil (black) suit is real nice, but two friends said it has a lousy range of movement and way to bulky. I like the idea of the Striker suits being floating suits, I have a Mustang survival suit, thing is SUPER warm and loaded with neoprene floating materials, but it is the WORST sweat box EVER!! I haven't worn it in years because of that!

I checked out Strikers site, is there a particular model that's better than others? I was getting a bit confused with the options.  Jay, you said " Light?"

Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5036 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Sorry guys, these ice suite conversations are going the way of the 'rigid tow bar' discussion.  How about we talk about fishing?

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5037 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:41 AM »
I have the artic armor suit good suit warm, hard to wear it above 25-30 degrees. I have ripped mine twice, I think the material could be a little better, thicker heavier duty, but all around nice safe suit.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5038 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Sorry guys, these ice suite conversations are going the way of the 'rigid tow bar' discussion.  How about we talk about fishing?

Reading about the mid-ice lull period has boosted my confidence and has given me an excuse... How's that! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5039 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I like the discussion on "ice suits"  I'm in the market - sale prices now in effect.  ;D  Been looking at the Striker stuff - one of the local shops have them, in stock and on sale.  I would like to understand, better the different models.  The "Ice Climate" model of the jacket and bibs have removable liners, I see and the prolly the outer shell on the different models is different?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.