New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4710 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:30 AM »
[

The solid tow bar thing seems a little excessive. I have never seen an ECO/trooper ticket for that.

It may be excessive but have you never seen the guys riding tadem on a sled with the guy on the back holding the rope with 2 sleds tied together. When they come by with those sleds flinging back and forth its a bit dangerous for other anglers. Theres a guy in North Syracuse who makes tow bars bettter than the ones in Gander and he sells em at a great price. PM me if you want to know his name and number to ask him about setting you up

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4711 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Not saying a rigid towbar is not a good idea or anything, but, if you are not towing people, you can tow with bailing twine if you'd like!
I just posted this over on the reports and conditions bd, so I'll post it here..

In regards to towing, I pulled this from the NYS ATV handbook...

YOU MAY NEVER OPERATE AN ATV:
While pulling a person on skis, a toboggan, sleigh, sled or trailer, unless the device is attached to the ATV by a tow-bar or other rigid connection.

Here is the link to the website:
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c29.htm

So, if ANYBODY gets a ticket for a non-rigid towbar, there is your best defense!

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4712 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:07 AM »
This is kinda silly having such a long conversation on how to tow a sled. We spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on equipment to catch fish but are so cheap not to have a solid sound towing system. I have seen sleds whipping around behind sled, I have seen sleds going down the lake by them self's because a rope broke or came untied. It's simple the law says solid towing system not a rope.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4713 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:17 AM »
This is kinda silly having such a long conversation on how to tow a sled. We spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on equipment to catch fish but are so cheap not to have a solid sound towing system. I have seen sleds whipping around behind sled, I have seen sleds going down the lake by them self's because a rope broke or came untied. It's simple the law says solid towing system not a rope.
amen

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4714 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:36 AM »
On towing - I can understand the desire to use a long rope to avoid filling, or covering, your sled with snow and slush; and I think those that do that, for that reason, would be fairly alert to what they are doing and watch their setup closely.  No danger.  It's the "dumbies" that the laws and rules were written for.  Without them, we would not need those regulations. :-\  I just did not realize there was a different set of rules for sleds than ATVs, on the towing thing.

I got my towbar, let's go fishing. I'll be on Oneida for 4 days in a week, license, towbar & helmet included.  @)  Anyone want to let me know where a good spot for eyes is - PM please.  ;D

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4715 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:00 AM »
You're wrong, go to the link I provided. I personally don't want to have to disconnect and fold up another piece of gear(towbar), nothing wrong with a good piece of rope.
I don't "whip" down the lake, nor to "close" to present any danger to anybody. People simply need to take it easy.
And the conversation really doesn't seem silly until someone chimes in after someone posts the actual document, done!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #4716 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Hey guys !! Headed to Oneida for the first time this Sunday, can't wait!! Any chance I can get some GPS coordinates to where the fish are biting? What color jigging rap? A flasher to barrow if your not going to use it. Can someone meet me at tafts with a machine to bring me and my stuff to the spot, with lunch, a hut, a Buddy heater with a few propane bottles? Thanks guys.
Give this spot a shot first. 43 5.262N       76 12.455W  Good luck ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4717 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Hey guys !! Headed to Oneida for the first time this Sunday, can't wait!! Any chance I can get some GPS coordinates to where the fish are biting? What color jigging rap? A flasher to barrow if your not going to use it. Can someone meet me at tafts with a machine to bring me and my stuff to the spot, with lunch, a hut, a Buddy heater with a few propane bottles? Thanks guys.

I've got a flasher for ya!

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4718 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Perch hound your own post states it needs to be connected by a ridged device last time I checked rope is not ridged

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4719 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:16 AM »

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4720 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Perch hound I think you are confused with your own info the reg state a person on skis , a sled , a trailer , it doesn't state that a person needs to be in the sled the first example is the only one that involves a person at all. And I am not just chiming in experienced it for my self no tickets issued just had the law explained to me. This is no different that people flat towing cars down the road on a chain that is illegal also.

Offline blkgmc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4721 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Got checked by Dec yesterday never  questioned me on a helmet for my side by side or slow moving triangle
if u carry it out carry it back in!!

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4722 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Rules for side by side have not been written yet some ECON officer classify them as ATV depends on there mood and what type of person you are never had an issue with any of them but I am a nice guy and appreciate the job they do they are not here to horas me just to make sure I am doing thing correct and up to date on the state laws

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4723 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Give this spot a shot first. 43 5.262N       76 12.455W  Good luck ;D
You mind if I try this too H.T.  :whistle:

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4724 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Got myself a flasher  ;D time to go play

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4725 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Me to I have like a hundred friend that I have already pm. Who's doing the shuttle for the walkers. I think we can pizza delivered taking orders now.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #4726 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:37 AM »
You mind if I try this too H.T.  :whistle:
I bet it wont be crowded :woot:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4727 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Got checked by Dec yesterday never  questioned me on a helmet for my side by side or slow moving triangle
When I bought my side by side they said I did not need a helmet. A DEC officer on the lake told me I did.  I told him I was told by the dealer that I didn't. He told me to get one. I have been checked several times since then and they have never asked about a helmet.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4728 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Perch hound your own post states it needs to be connected by a ridged device last time I checked rope is not ridged
Look, I cut-n-pasted directly from the document, ONLY if towing a person, please read it for yourself, the link to the NYS DMV code is posted.
Here is the verbiage again...see section 'e'
S 2404. Operating rules. 1. No person shall operate an ATV:
    (a)  at  a  rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under
  the conditions and having regard to the  actual  and  potential  hazards
  then existing;
    (b)  in a careless, reckless or negligent manner so as to unreasonably
  endanger the person or property of another or  cause  injury  or  damage
  thereto;
    (c) on the tracks or right-of-way of an operating railroad;
    (d)  in  any  tree  nursery  or  planting  in a manner that damages or
  destroys growing stock, or creates a substantial risk thereto;
    (e) while pulling a person on skis or  drawing  or  towing  a  sleigh,
  sled, toboggan, inflatable device or trailer which carries or transports
  any person
unless attached by a rigid support, connection or towbar;

Now, please concentrate really hard on the red font text!

I'm done with it!

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4729 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Perch hound I think you are confused with your own info the reg state a person on skis , a sled , a trailer , it doesn't state that a person needs to be in the sled the first example is the only one that involves a person at all. And I am not just chiming in experienced it for my self no tickets issued just had the law explained to me. This is no different that people flat towing cars down the road on a chain that is illegal also.
Oh, and you are correct in regards to DMV auto towing, that's not an ATV last time we checked.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #4730 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:46 AM »

Anyone fishing.... Or are we going to talk about tow bars for another 5 pages. >:(

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4731 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Not trying to be a jerk but the post and link you had at 750 this morning contradicts what you are saying

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4732 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Anyone fishing.... Or are we going to talk about tow bars for another 5 pages. >:(

Thank You Mister...  I was just going to lock it up for a couple hours....     @) @)
Take it some place else guys................. 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4733 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:08 AM »
OK, now lets get back to fishing...    ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4734 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:29 AM »

Nice! ;D
Follow the bubbles...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4735 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:45 AM »
I was planning on trying Shackelton Shoals out of Chapman's Park via sled tomorrow. I was just wondering if there are any ice issues, hazards or conditions I need to be aware of in my travels there and back? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4736 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I was planning on trying Shackelton Shoals out of Chapman's Park via sled tomorrow. I was just wondering if there are any ice issues, hazards or conditions I need to be aware of in my travels there and back? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Should be smooth sailing for you Bart

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4737 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:01 PM »
I was out there tuesday and there was a fresh crack opened running north and south between 121 and 123....wasn't real wide, maybe 2", but was open.....if it didn't close back up it might be a little wet/slushy near it....just keep your eye peeled

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #4738 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:10 PM »

Hey ... I got an Idea.... Lets keep it up till the thread gets locked for a day  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   Bart, I crossed the lake on a sled yesterday no dangers that I saw from the Beach to the Stanch. Good luck with # 2 Bud!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4739 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, hoping for another walleye dinner! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.