New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827217 times)

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4380 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Snagger did you get my reply to your pm? I think your in box is full.

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4381 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Not to mention if your at one end of your spread your more than a half mile from your last tip up and couldn't see it.
if you spread your tip ups that far apart you deserve people driving through your area. If I saw that I would fish right in the middle just to see your reaction. Unreal
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4382 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Any you guys spend weekends up on the lake?

I would if I had a shanty

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4383 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:35 PM »
got 35 gills today. what a beautiful day !! except for the knucklehead that heard me catching fish. I was in my shanty, and this guy comes up , and stands next to my shanty for 5 minutes. he asked me once if I was getting any, and stood there listening. he goes back to his shanty throws everything in, and comes over dragging his shanty. he proceedes to cut a hole, and fishes 5', yes 5' from me. I said are you !@#$%%ing kidding me ??? ???. " RESPECT" people !!!!!! i'm with you ice add. I'm going to come unglued soon, very soon !!   Sully...

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4384 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I would if I had a shanty
been there and done that.  and out in the boat a few times.
ml

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4385 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:38 PM »
i would come unglued maybe you cant fix stupid but you sure can try its better than being stressed all the way home!!!

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4386 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:42 PM »
oh by the way went today east end two keepers three shorts and a couple of perch not the best but got a fish dinner!!! twenty six feet of water lots of chasers omly a few takers dumped five one at the hole darn vex got in the way

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4387 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:43 PM »
got 35 gills today. what a beautiful day !! except for the knucklehead that heard me catching fish. I was in my shanty, and this guy comes up , and stands next to my shanty for 5 minutes. he asked me once if I was getting any, and stood there listening. he goes back to his shanty throws everything in, and comes over dragging his shanty. he proceedes to cut a hole, and fishes 5', yes 5' from me. I said are you !@#$%%ing kidding me ??? ???. " RESPECT" people !!!!!! i'm with you ice add. I'm going to come unglued soon, very soon !!   Sully...
Isn't that normal for big bay? I avoid that place like the plague

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4388 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Isn't that normal for big bay? I avoid that place like the plague
that's the sad part. I wasn't in big bay. it just felt like i was.   Sully...

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #4389 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Who is "you" that you are referencing there?  Come on up and I'll take whatever bet you want to offer - you with whatever hand drill you want and me with my electric powered 8" Nils.  I don't care if you bring along a 4" bit.  :woot:  ::)

I was drilling holes faster with my nils then guys with power augers.  But you get in the 30" range hand auger gets slow.

How much ice is up there now? I fished 17" of two layed ice when I was up for x mass in franklin co.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4390 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I was drilling holes faster with my nils then guys with power augers.  But you get in the 30" range hand auger gets slow.

How much ice is up there now? I fished 17" of two layed ice when I was up for x mass in franklin co.
We got 20 + solid black with a couple of inches of white.  Just say'n if a guys got a decent power auger, you ain't gonna beat him.  I use a hand auger until I get enough ice for the wheeler (about 8"), then the IceGator comes out with me.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4391 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:41 PM »

if your  going to fish big  bay get in your shanty and  lay your  fish on the ice  ...no  noise!   toss a  towel in the bottom of your bucket!  always  set  your auger  in the shanty  or  where you can clearly see it

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4392 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:41 PM »
We got 20 + solid black with a couple of inches of white.  Just say'n if a guys got a decent power auger, you ain't gonna beat him.  I use a hand auger until I get enough ice for the wheeler (about 8"), then the IceGator comes out with me.
how do you like the ice gator. Thinking that's my next toy. What auger but do you have on it.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline PKnotlost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4393 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:43 PM »
I just got an Ion and wow are they nice. I love the quiet, lightweight part as well. People worry about battery longevity, if my battery looses half its strength it will still cut 2x more holes that I need. I have fished all day, moved 4 times with two guys, and using tip ups (last sat) and still haven't gotten the battery to registrar less than "full". They really are nice.

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #4394 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:12 PM »
I have a icegator attacker with a 6 inch strike master bit. That thing is awesome. I have drilled 30-40 holes a day without any problem.
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4395 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:34 AM »
Great stuff, Cross-Eye-Jig. Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks to all of you guys !   Good to see that there are still some people who're interested in The good old days on Oneida Lake when life was simple !
  Every time that I'm on the lake, whether open water or on the ice, I wish that I could turn the clock back to the days when all of my relatives were alive and active on the lake.   I'm sure there was much more to learn from them !

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4396 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:26 AM »
Awesome post Cross!  What species did your family target mainly on Oneida?
Walleyes were the main target fish back then and the limits were very high but just like any commercial fishing operation, all fish were worth something to someone !
  I don't remember the exact numbers but walleyes brought a whopping .25 cents per pound whole and .40 cents headed and gutted.   We cleaned every walleye we caught to get the extra 15 cents and the guts and heads were used as bait and chum for our set lines that we put out for catfish and bullheads.  Nothing got wasted !
   The set lines for catfish were the hardest work (and messy) .  We had 2 places on the lake.  One just east of Spruce Grove  and the other right on Bernhards point in Bernhards Bay.    That camp was my favorite.  We built a big stone duck blind right on the point.  That blind served as a massive live holding tank for the catfish and bullheads.  It sure seemed like Oneida had more catfish than walleyes back in the late 60's as at any given time, we'd have literally hundreds of catfish in the duck blind.  When it was worth the trip, we loaded the catfish into huge burlap sacks and put the sacks into a 16ft Cadillac aluminum boat that had been completely gutted.   We towed that boat to the commercial fish market in Brewerton.  I always questioned my uncle Nunzio why we didn't just put the catfish in the Penn  Yan.    He'd look at me and say.....You'll learn one day.     Wasn't long after that he told me to jump in the old aluminum boat to get the sacks so they could be soaked in the lake and cleaned.    I believe it was the second step I took in the boat and my feet flew out from under me  :o :o   Slick as snot !   As I laid there holding the back of my head and covered in catfish slime, Uncle Nunzio stood there and laughed.  Now I knew whey the catfish didn't go in the Penn Yan wooden boat !

A few other things I remember about Oneida back then.   The water was always high .   Wantry and Long Islands were mostly under water and they had trees on them.
  Willard Island was never a boaters nightmare.   I remember having to climb up into boats instead of jumping down into them like we have to do these days.   You wore chest waders to put your docks and hoists in and some years, the water would be over the top of them.   The grass bed off of the east side of Dunhams and Frenchmans Islands wasn't very big but if you drifted over it from west to east all day long while dragging a yellow and red Little Wonder wet fly behind a torpedo sinker, you'd fill the boat with walleyes, perch and sunfish.
  Boating across the lake on Thursday afternoons to eat dinner at Lisi's Spaghetti house on Lakeshore Rd.
Tuesday nights we'd go to Orlando's in Brewerton.  Best fried chicken on the planet !
  The rest of the week, my mom and aunt Lucy would cook feasts on the horse shoe shaped barbeque that my uncles build in the front yard.   So many great sunsets while we ate dinner !
   Now it's a Tim Hortons coffee and greasy fast food as we hurry home to sit in front of a computer to discuss the days events !
  They say that change is good.    I have to disagree !!   

Offline chris steel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4397 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:48 AM »
wow well thought out memories, Loved it thank you for sharing and your LAST LINE.... PRICELESS

Offline owascolake10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4398 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:10 AM »
a nice cookout out  on the lake would  be fun. then  maybe  we can eliminate all the crying and b***hing .

Offline beni

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4399 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:02 AM »
hey cross eye I remember as a kid fishing out by wantry island   frenchmans and the pickle hole. I remember the tree on the island also.  We were called the bucket brigade,back then. You had to be mobile also carry auger and 2 buckets. Sometimes not catch a fish until noon sunday on a weekend trip and then kill them for the afternoon. How do you think todays icefishing crowd would fare back then. Couldnt afford a shanty or machine no electronics walk and fish 3- 4 miles a day  WHEW   beni

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4400 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:46 AM »
hey cross eye I remember as a kid fishing out by wantry island   frenchmans and the pickle hole. I remember the tree on the island also.  We were called the bucket brigade,back then. You had to be mobile also carry auger and 2 buckets. Sometimes not catch a fish until noon sunday on a weekend trip and then kill them for the afternoon. How do you think todays icefishing crowd would fare back then. Couldnt afford a shanty or machine no electronics walk and fish 3- 4 miles a day  WHEW   beni

I don't know about anybody else, but I would not be part of the crowd.  No shanty, no propane, no fishfinder = no ice fishing for me.  The comfort of it is actually one of the things I find appealing.  Fishing from the boat November through April is hard on my body these days.  Although, right now I am itching for a nice calm 35 degree day to get back on Seneca.  Haven't been out since the end of December.

Offline wallyeyebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got ice??????????
« Reply #4401 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:41 AM »
temper, temper ::) ::) ::) ::).some need to be educated ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4402 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:44 AM »
As i am fairly new to hard water fishing. Just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys put on here. I finally got my limit on eyes and twelve fat perch, whoo whoo. Just like you guys all keep saying keep moving and drilling .This is my first year using a flasher and wow it's amazing . Anyways good luck everyone

as my buds will agree , I have said that many times give me a limit of smaller eyes and a doz fat perch and I'm happy , that is my perfect day also , anything beyond that is a super bonus

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4403 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Cross-eyed,  I remember all those catfish.  I was on the East end. When drifting for eyes we would catch a channel catfish (silver with a few black specks) for every 3 or 4 eyes.  When out of the water they would make that "geeeerkkkkk" sound.  Were very good eating.. Have not seen any of those in years.. The big old brown catfish were quite common but it seemed more in mid summer when we were fishing deeper water..  Penn Yan boats were the best back then. We first had a 16 ft with a 4 ft deck, I`d get tired, crawl up under the deck and sleep while my dad fished on... It had a false bottom and always had water in it.. Then got a 16 ft open. It could handle Oneida`s worse storms and was dry. Never a wave over the bow or even spray..  Lots of the Thompson lap boats then too..  We had a 22 hp Evenrude on it. Wrap the rope around the flywheel and pull.  If a passenger you had better duck as that knot stung... quart of oil to 5 gal of gas.  Must  admit electric start is pretty nice..
With 25 tip-ups in place we were busy, just keep walking up and down the rows. Look to see if the chicken rings were still visible, if gone we would check for fish or see if bait was gone.  Round and round the holes.. Must have walked 5 miles some days..   To me the greatest advances have been made in clothing.. So warm and lightweight now.. Those wool pants and hunting coats were warm but weighed a ton and soaked up water like a sponge..  Enough....

perch@pans

« Reply #4404 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Sounds like its time to staple posted signs on my wooden tip ups again ! Lol! Make a perimeter  and stake your claim. "Git off me land ! Ya scurvy Dog ! Lmao  ;D    To much for old shoulders to drill that much anymore anyway through this excellent ice this year.    Tight Lines .

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4405 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:52 AM »
I don't know about anybody else, but I would not be part of the crowd.  No shanty, no propane, no fishfinder = no ice fishing for me.  The comfort of it is actually one of the things I find appealing.  Fishing from the boat November through April is hard on my body these days.  Although, right now I am itching for a nice calm 35 degree day to get back on Seneca.  Haven't been out since the end of December.

If your alternative to ice fishing was cutting and splitting wood what would your choice be ????? I remember the first chain saws.. They weighed about 80 lbs and took forever to start.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4406 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:55 AM »
    Pretty much the same here but I grew up on the lake with with immediate family and relatives who were all commercial fishermen.  Fishing for fun was something that I rarely had the chance to do as a kid but when you're a kid, all fishing seemed like fun !
  I remember being out in weather that would keep most modern day fishermen home doing chores !   
   My uncles both had huge 19 foot wooden Penn Yan boats.  They seemed like the Queen Mary to me.    We drifted with gallon paint cans full of concrete over the side.   The ropes they were tied to had knots tied in 1 foot increments.
  On fairly calm days, my 2 uncles and my dad would drift the lake to find drop offs, shoals etc.   When those paint buckets started to drag bottom or hit something.  They stopped the boat and dropped anchor.  They pulled the cans and counted knots.  Then, they relayed that info onto a lake map that was sealed between 2 pieces of glass using grease pencils.  When we came in, that information was transferred to another paper lake map that never left the camp !
  That was how we mapped the lake.
 My uncle Joe had a connection with one of the local school districts.  He would come home with a station wagon full of old basket balls, rubber balls and footballs.  He painted them yellow (using paint that came from another connection at the local highway department ! :whistle:   Those yellow balls would be stuffed in onion sacks and used for our buoy markers .. .  Like other old timers, the landmark triangle was always used for locating our spots when the wind was blowing too hard to see the buoy markers that we set out.
Another way we used to gather lake info was to follow the tug boats down the channel when they were setting buoys or setting up barges for dredging operations.
  They had very early sonar units on those tugs.   The guys who ran them were always helpful in giving information as to depths and submerged debris, sunken boats etc.
  A gallon of home made wine was always given to those guys in appreciation of their free flowing information !

One of the original maps that my Uncle Nunzio made was hanging in Spruce Grove Marina for years.  When Frank Tripp died, I tried to buy the map but it had been lost or given to someone  :-\

When the lake froze, it was a crap shoot !  It was one of the few times when we fished for fun although it was still a priority to supply our families and friends with with enough fish to get us through the winter months.   In 1968, My uncle Rocco bought a brand new Ski-Doo  !   That winter was the best ever !    He built 4 small wooden wind breaks that looked like short out houses without a front door.   Each one had a metal bucket that held firewood to burn when we got cold....and we did get cold back then !
  The ice fishing seasons always seemed like they were 6 months long !   We liked ice fishing but prayed for springtime and the rituals that went with it.    Varnishing the boats, tuning the motors, spooling new rope, repairing nets, painting basketballs, trapping bait, cleaning and respooling reels etc.   Then the docks and boat hoists went in and we were ready for another open water season.

From those early days growing up, I was put into a position where fishing was a job and it was a job for me for many years afterwards.  To me, catching fish was a way of life and a way of making a living just as my dad and uncles had before me.   
  On a sunny April morning in 2004, with my dad in his mid 80's, we were sitting at the boat launch waiting our turn to launch.  It hit me that the time had come to relax and enjoy as much time as possible with my dad.   Since that day, I haven't had the urge or desire to catch as many fish as the law allowed every time I hit the water and ice !    Matter of fact, I no longer cared if I caught any fish at all !   Fishing had finally become a fun thing to do ! 
  To this day, almost 10 years later, I find myself using less and less of today's technology when fishing.    I thank my dad and uncles for teaching me how to succeed and be innovative with a weighted paint can a rope and a yellow basketball !  ;)

awesome post man!! Spruce grove used to be quite the gathering spot for icefishermen back in the day! They had some awesome maps and pictures on the wall in the diner there
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4407 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Fished yesterday. Few hours in morn and last two hours before dark. Only a few perch. Oh yeah.... Drilled lots of holes by hand yesterday with my 8 inch hand screw. My 73 year old fishing partner drilled all day with his hand screw as well. Not enough ice to be buying new power augers when my 73 year old buddy is still getting we done with the hand auger...unless disabled in some way.  :tipup:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

perch@pans

« Reply #4408 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Old timer and Cross eyed jig do either of you have pics from back in the day you could share here . Big history buff especially local . Married into the north shore early 90's . Came from SWOswego/Sterling.    . Appreciate you both sharing stories. Wife ran store in Constantia and waitressed at Spruce Grove back in the day. Read most books on the lake I could find in local libraries . Nothing beats personal stories with a flair of localness in them .

perch@pans

« Reply #4409 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Fished yesterday. Few hours in morn and last two hours before dark. Only a few perch. Oh yeah.... Drilled lots of holes by hand yesterday with my 8 inch hand screw. My 73 year old fishing partner drilled all day with his hand screw as well. Not enough ice to be buying new power augers when my 73 year old buddy is still getting we done with the hand auger...unless disabled in some way.  :tipup:
Does 7 compromised disc in lumbar and cervical spine count lol . Need shoulder surg according to doc . Lucky I can get out now was in a wheelchair most of the summer . Giving it a try today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.