New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827223 times)

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4260 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:03 AM »
    if you think oneida is bad you better never go to seneca lake. thats a fighting lake. people are nuts there the fish spook real easy.but when your on them you are on them.big slob jack perch. they fight like a small mouth.
Yah well that's the reason on Seneca, the lake is crystal clear and when you find the schools its hard enough to stay on them but yet these idiots see a group of boats and just come motoring in. I live on that lake from April til November so I know all about it. I have seen guns pulled caused of some disrespectful stuff. The same is gonna happen some day on Oneida to if these people just keep rolling up and assuming its ok to set up 10 yards away. What if that person was gonna move that way? Now he has to go find another direction to go I think not. Its all about respect and its hard to come by these days.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4261 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Bragger!!!  ;D

Like kingfisher said, confidence is huge!

Not everyone can pick and chose the days that they fish. Most of us only get out on the weekends for a day. Use all of the tools at your disposal and maximize your time out there.

Sometimes I just like rubbing salt, what can I say?!?!?  ;)
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #4262 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:08 AM »
KEPT my 9 eyes for the weekend ( fri, sat and sun) before anyone tries pouncing on me! Caught around 30 keepers, dropped just as many, and lots of shorts. Kept a total of 27 jumbos, biggest was a 14, kept none under 10. Fished several areas, best ones were in the mid 30's. Accessed north shore as always, as I am a true blue north shore thugg!  Kept my cool as I was completely disrespected by a few groups of southerners, wasn't easy.  Just don't get the philosophy of " Hmmmm, there's a few guys fishing by themselves without another fisherman within 2 miles of them, let's do drive bye's and see if there are any fish on the ice by them , and if so we will call the rest of the posse of lousy fisherman we're out here with and we will all rip holes 30 feet away from them and circle them like a swat team!"   SO Frickin Lame!!! Get some pride and respect !! Give people some damn space out there!!! That lake is ENORMOUS!!! I know, I know, it's the same old crap every year, but as I get older I have LESS and less patience for the lack of common sense and complete disregard people have for others out there. Makes me furious!

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!  I AGREE 1000% 

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4263 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Yah well that's the reason on Seneca, the lake is crystal clear and when you find the schools its hard enough to stay on them but yet these idiots see a group of boats and just come motoring in. I live on that lake from April til November so I know all about it. I have seen guns pulled caused of some disrespectful stuff. The same is gonna happen some day on Oneida to if these people just keep rolling up and assuming its ok to set up 10 yards away. What if that person was gonna move that way? Now he has to go find another direction to go I think not. Its all about respect and its hard to come by these days.
  they are called boat chaser and we no how to find are own spots with cameras  and the legdes. we aint the followers .same goes for oneida.
ml

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4264 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:13 AM »

Sad but SO true Brother!  That's the world we live in now, everyone wants hand outs, and instant gratification, at ANY cost! I wasn't raised that way! Hell, the rest of the world survives off the sweat of the decreasing working classes backs, why should the fishing challenged be any different..........Exc use me, I have to go throw up now. :sick:

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4265 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:14 AM »
What happened to the big February 1st announcement about a derby?

Am I posting in the wrong thread to find out about the announcement?
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4266 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Snagger your box is full

Offline paleofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4267 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:17 AM »
First timer looking for any advise!
Hi everyone, first post but been reading for a while.  I live on Chautauqua lake and fished there for many years... all seasons.  Walleye fishing here has steadily decinlined the last few years, and it's near impossible to catch perch bigger than 5 inches.... and our lake is loaded with them...
I've fished bay of quinte hard water for the last 12 years and always had great walleye action there!! Caught several 10lb hogs, taken our photos and dumped them back. Never a shortage of nice size eaters there either!!

Anyway....wifey is going to a friend's baby shower near Oneida this Saturday and I'm tagging along to fish for the day.  I've been reading posts, looking at topography maps, trying to find access points.  I'm not planning on bringing the quad.   Also not trying to invade anyone's hot spot.... just looking for a place I can park without problems, and walk out and get into 25-30 fow.  Been looking at going off from Godfreys? I been reading a lot about North shore, jewell.... any point in the right direction would be awesome!!
Thanks

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4268 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:30 AM »
What happened to the big February 1st announcement about a derby?

Am I posting in the wrong thread to find out about the announcement?

Maybe the Sandy Pond thread? There was a derby on the south shore this weekend though.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4269 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:31 AM »

Sometimes I just like rubbing salt, what can I say?!?!?  ;)

I would never do that.  ::)  ;D

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
« Reply #4270 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Snagger your box is full

go figure ;D
"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4271 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Your in the right area Godfrey has a big lot be Carefull of the cracks and gas holes being your first trip to Oneida Apps in Cleveland is good for bait and advice you may even be able to park there depending on what time of day big pressure crack at Apps. It's a small bait shop on the curve very easy to drive by and miss. In Cleavland close to Apps you will see signs for Vellas there is acess around there also. Good luck and welcome to Oneida

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4272 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:33 AM »
KEPT my 9 eyes for the weekend ( fri, sat and sun) before anyone tries pouncing on me! Caught around 30 keepers, dropped just as many, and lots of shorts. Kept a total of 27 jumbos, biggest was a 14, kept none under 10. Fished several areas, best ones were in the mid 30's. Accessed north shore as always, as I am a true blue north shore thugg!  Kept my cool as I was completely disrespected by a few groups of southerners, wasn't easy.  Just don't get the philosophy of " Hmmmm, there's a few guys fishing by themselves without another fisherman within 2 miles of them, let's do drive bye's and see if there are any fish on the ice by them , and if so we will call the rest of the posse of lousy fisherman we're out here with and we will all rip holes 30 feet away from them and circle them like a swat team!"   SO Frickin Lame!!! Get some pride and respect !! Give people some damn space out there!!! That lake is ENORMOUS!!! I know, I know, it's the same old crap every year, but as I get older I have LESS and less patience for the lack of common sense and complete disregard people have for others out there. Makes me furious!

That same scenario drives me crazy, so much so that I really hate fishing on the weekend anymore. I actually had a guy circle me 7 steps away 4 times!!!! a couple of weeks ago, on his turn into the fourth circle I let him know in a not so nice way that this wasn't ok, some people are un-believable.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4273 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:35 AM »
First timer looking for any advise!
Hi everyone, first post but been reading for a while.  I live on Chautauqua lake and fished there for many years... all seasons.  Walleye fishing here has steadily decinlined the last few years, and it's near impossible to catch perch bigger than 5 inches.... and our lake is loaded with them...
I've fished bay of quinte hard water for the last 12 years and always had great walleye action there!! Caught several 10lb hogs, taken our photos and dumped them back. Never a shortage of nice size eaters there either!!

Anyway....wifey is going to a friend's baby shower near Oneida this Saturday and I'm tagging along to fish for the day.  I've been reading posts, looking at topography maps, trying to find access points.  I'm not planning on bringing the quad.   Also not trying to invade anyone's hot spot.... just looking for a place I can park without problems, and walk out and get into 25-30 fow.  Been looking at going off from Godfreys? I been reading a lot about North shore, jewell.... any point in the right direction would be awesome!!
Thanks

You can get to those depths with a fairly short walk from Godfreys or Jewel. The hill at Jewel is a beast.

Both spots can be good for perch and eyes. You just have to move until you find them.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4274 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Last time I was at jewel there was a rope there. Made it a little easier.
It'll eat.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4275 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:44 AM »
That same scenario drives me crazy, so much so that I really hate fishing on the weekend anymore. I actually had a guy circle me 7 steps away 4 times!!!! a couple of weeks ago, on his turn into the fourth circle I let him know in a not so nice way that this wasn't ok, some people are un-believable.

You guys are a lot nicer than I am. I tend to let them have it. Haven't ran into any issues so far this year YET
It'll eat.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4276 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:50 AM »

You guys are a lot nicer than I am. I tend to let them have it. Haven't ran into any issues so far this year YET

Gettin' harder and harder not to!  I'm pretty sure this is the year I'm gonna lose it!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4277 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:55 AM »
We have the fishing hot spots maps in stock
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4278 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Anyone fishing north shore during the week near Apps retired military on foot have my own equipment and electronics just hate fishing alone.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4279 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Last time I was at jewel there was a rope there. Made it a little easier.

Yea the hill at Jewel is pretty steep, but the rope is still there and it definitely helps.  Just have to be smart about it.  If your sled with gear is too heavy, then empty it out and make multiple trips if you have to, going up and down the hill.  Have someone give you a hand if you are fishing with friends.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #4280 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:17 AM »
I like to get well away from the crowd if I'm able to.i like the feeling of making my own success not rolling up on guys on fish.if I do get around other guys I try to give them their space and drive slow if on a machine.when I am out on my own and someone comes flying in 10 ft from me doesn't say a word and sets up the wheeler gets unhooked from the tow bar and the donuts and cyclones begin.combat fishing engage haha. If he doesn't mind doing it to me then I have no problem returning the favor. I can find the fish again

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4281 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:21 AM »
We fished for fun, no pressure to get the limit. Were taught by people who had to catch fish during the great depression or go hungry..I really think that time without power augers, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and all the flashers, cameras, cell phones and maps, we had a lot more fun..  A pack basket with tip-ups and a bottle of Jaquints Ginger brandy..  , a pail of minnows in one hand and a spud in the other and away we went.. Used the same land structure to mark the spots we used in the summer.  We sat and waited for the fish to move through and most days, they did.Several times...
    Pretty much the same here but I grew up on the lake with with immediate family and relatives who were all commercial fishermen.  Fishing for fun was something that I rarely had the chance to do as a kid but when you're a kid, all fishing seemed like fun !
  I remember being out in weather that would keep most modern day fishermen home doing chores !   
   My uncles both had huge 19 foot wooden Penn Yan boats.  They seemed like the Queen Mary to me.    We drifted with gallon paint cans full of concrete over the side.   The ropes they were tied to had knots tied in 1 foot increments.
  On fairly calm days, my 2 uncles and my dad would drift the lake to find drop offs, shoals etc.   When those paint buckets started to drag bottom or hit something.  They stopped the boat and dropped anchor.  They pulled the cans and counted knots.  Then, they relayed that info onto a lake map that was sealed between 2 pieces of glass using grease pencils.  When we came in, that information was transferred to another paper lake map that never left the camp !
  That was how we mapped the lake.
 My uncle Joe had a connection with one of the local school districts.  He would come home with a station wagon full of old basket balls, rubber balls and footballs.  He painted them yellow (using paint that came from another connection at the local highway department ! :whistle:   Those yellow balls would be stuffed in onion sacks and used for our buoy markers .. .  Like other old timers, the landmark triangle was always used for locating our spots when the wind was blowing too hard to see the buoy markers that we set out.
Another way we used to gather lake info was to follow the tug boats down the channel when they were setting buoys or setting up barges for dredging operations.
  They had very early sonar units on those tugs.   The guys who ran them were always helpful in giving information as to depths and submerged debris, sunken boats etc.
  A gallon of home made wine was always given to those guys in appreciation of their free flowing information !

One of the original maps that my Uncle Nunzio made was hanging in Spruce Grove Marina for years.  When Frank Tripp died, I tried to buy the map but it had been lost or given to someone  :-\

When the lake froze, it was a crap shoot !  It was one of the few times when we fished for fun although it was still a priority to supply our families and friends with with enough fish to get us through the winter months.   In 1968, My uncle Rocco bought a brand new Ski-Doo  !   That winter was the best ever !    He built 4 small wooden wind breaks that looked like short out houses without a front door.   Each one had a metal bucket that held firewood to burn when we got cold....and we did get cold back then !
  The ice fishing seasons always seemed like they were 6 months long !   We liked ice fishing but prayed for springtime and the rituals that went with it.    Varnishing the boats, tuning the motors, spooling new rope, repairing nets, painting basketballs, trapping bait, cleaning and respooling reels etc.   Then the docks and boat hoists went in and we were ready for another open water season.

From those early days growing up, I was put into a position where fishing was a job and it was a job for me for many years afterwards.  To me, catching fish was a way of life and a way of making a living just as my dad and uncles had before me.   
  On a sunny April morning in 2004, with my dad in his mid 80's, we were sitting at the boat launch waiting our turn to launch.  It hit me that the time had come to relax and enjoy as much time as possible with my dad.   Since that day, I haven't had the urge or desire to catch as many fish as the law allowed every time I hit the water and ice !    Matter of fact, I no longer cared if I caught any fish at all !   Fishing had finally become a fun thing to do ! 
  To this day, almost 10 years later, I find myself using less and less of today's technology when fishing.    I thank my dad and uncles for teaching me how to succeed and be innovative with a weighted paint can a rope and a yellow basketball !  ;)

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4282 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Great stuff, Cross-Eye-Jig. Thanks for sharing it.

Offline LingFling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4283 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:45 AM »
What a great post. I love to hear about fishing history on Oneida. This first hand account is pretty cool.
Thanks!
Get Out And Enjoy!

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4284 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Cross, thanks for letting us share some of your memories.. That`s the good stuff, what life is about, building memories to share and fall back on from time to time..  Your writings sure brought back from the depths, a lot of my past times on Oneida Lake.. 
Things change so quickly.. Some for the good and some not so good..  Many times the electronics can cause more stress than what they are worth.  Without them you just decided the fish had moved, with them it drives some nuts because they don`t bite..   Glad to hear you have "finally" found the fun in fishing..  As we "mature"   I think lack of success whether hunting or fishing, is no longer the deciding factor of enjoying an outdoor/on the water experience...   
Your remembering the paint can and painted ball is akin to my remembering my first time using a spinning reel....
Hope you continue to enjoy  the outdoors.....

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4285 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Great post cross eye!!   We are all big guns out there now with all of our toys and electronic guidance. YOU fellas are the real pioneers!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4286 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Hey guys I rarely post on here but I'm thinking about going to Oneida tomorrow. I rarely go to the bait stores in the area. I'm looking for buckeyes since they always seem to work better. Does bartel sell them? I know aps does but it's out of the way of where I plan to go. Thanks for any info. Always enjoy reading your guys posts

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4287 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:20 AM »
676-2144 is the # for Bartell Bait

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4288 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Good post cross :)

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4289 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Awesome post Cross!  What species did your family target mainly on Oneida?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.