New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4200 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I don't think we will have to worry about the sinking ice and slush with 16" of ice.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4201 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:11 PM »
You do a damn good job too snag

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4202 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:22 PM »

HVAC?   Icydan                                  my Boiler review:  post I made on fb 3 days ago.

..cleaned chamber 11 days ago, cleaned senser tube too indused fan 9 days ago, changed nozzle and flame sensor 6 days ago, changed electrodes 3 days ago, changed out primary control and yellow sensor wire to eye 2 days ago, yesterday changed filter inside fuel pump and changed filter, then bought brand new fuel pump, we changed that...found another filter in basement, we changed that, that transmission cover with springs electrodes go in, we changed that out.even built a box over the vent for southwest winds.

whats left that telling this furnace to kick off on the second cycle?, last night it ran 20 hrs, but kicked, day before kicked out every 2 hours, theres no rym or reason...

Is my taco water pump going?, main control panel?  everythings almost new now.

I was in the room when it kicked the other night, didn't sound choked like air in lines, didn't sound like a gust of wind kicked it, it sounded clean like something told it too shut down.  I ran electric heaters and had friend watch my house thurs-fri, my electric bill is gonna be monsterous.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4203 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Shane sounds like you might have a bad Aqua Stat....??
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4204 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Check your exhaust to see if its plugged.  (dead animal, bird,bee nest,ect.)

perch@pans

« Reply #4205 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Shane you would hear the bearing going in the pump usally too . Unless the impeller is so worn . But intermitent failings does not suggest it.

perch@pans

« Reply #4206 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Check your exhaust to see if its plugged.  (dead animal, bird,bee nest,ect.)
Excellent advise for everyone to prevent co2 backup also .

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4207 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:51 PM »

thanks, good info.

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #4208 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:45 PM »
IMO with the info you gave it sounds like a sensory problem. With all of the stuff you've changed it doesn't sound like an airflow problem or a situation where it's fuel starved. If its a hot water boiler in the traditional sense is there high and low limit / modulating control? Is there a digital control board if so these can usually be changed out. And not to over simplify it but you'd be surprised at how many times its a thermostat. Is it a digital t-stat because the contacts get dirty and/or go bad in those things. If you mean it "kicks" that it trips a high limit then it can be a bad sensor in the limit switch or a dirty boiler core which means draining it and getting in it with wire brush and scabbing it down. If the boiler scales up on the inside and the limit switch or modulating control sensor is near the scale you will get a hot spot and it will kick or trip. If its a digital control and it tries to restart sometimes they are limited to 3 times and it will lock out to prevent further damage but again that would be a sensory issue like "too hot" or "air flow" i.e.. bad combustion air fan. Either way it sounds like a bad temp sensor or a bad wire(s) somewhere in the system that tells it to stay running or start running. Again its hard to say.  Theres a place on burnet ave called Johnstone who may be better able to help if you can give them specifics of your unit.

Thats my long/short of it pal.

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4209 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Also because you clean a sensor like a flame sensor doesn't mean it still works. and yes after re reading it very well could be your water pump.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4210 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Excellent advise for everyone to prevent co2 backup also .
Yes it is.
Although while co2 is a component of flue gas, carbon MONoxide is the dangerous one.
Since most don't know, 1 line item on your utility bill regardless of what major utility you have statewide is the "systems benefit charge" or the "SBC/RPS" look at the delivery side charges.  (SBC just stands for the same).  You pay this every month. 
This money funds a state program which will pay for a "comprehensive home energy assessment" every couple yrs on your home.
If you make under $133,000/yr its free, over that its a sliding scale up to $250k/yr.
They will test for carbon monoxide levels, combustion efficiencies of appliances, measure draft or ensure all chimineys and exhausts are functioning properly & nothing is backed up. Check for gas/fuel leaks, document problems. 
Document insulation, ventilation in the home or biz. Etc.
There are over 220 companies that provide this service statewide & you're paying for it anyway.  You might as well use it.
You'd be surprised at the problems often found.  While often the best intentions accompany advice offered, nothing can replace knowing for sure.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4211 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:14 PM »

someone told me I screwed up that link...   heres that quick vid from Friday   

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4212 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:14 PM »
 While often the best intentions accompany advice offered, nothing can replace knowing for sure.
[/quote]

Agreed!!!  Although sometimes repairs are costly it also makes sense to have a professional do it. Co gas is lethal and although most modern systems have many safety feature, its never wrong to be safe

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4213 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:52 PM »
Kind of looks like some snow Wed. Hate to say it, but it looks like a bigger storm on Monday. I hope I am wrong.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4214 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:07 PM »
The lake got the best of us yesterday.Me and big bill hot walleye spot was dead in the morning no marks first thing so we made a big jump to a perch hole and had a screen full for 5 hours picked away at them and then went back to structure in shallow hoping for finish the day on walleyes and found more perch but was slow.The ride in was like someone was shooting me in the face with a bead blaster.We had the oreo kid out there with us and he always keeps us busy.The ride home we saw a bunch of cars smashed up on 49 really slick roads.I can't really say my worst day of the year on the ice because i got to fish with my father and my 5 year old and nothing could ever be any better than that.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4215 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Cherish that time pimplepounder

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #4216 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:13 PM »
Cherish that time pimplepounder
Yep, what I wouldn't give to fish with Dad again  :(

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4217 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Got out for a few hours this morning and got 1 walleye, 2 jacks & a burbot.  Getting complacent.  Time to move and try and find some more/better fish.  Just not marking enough fish.

Some interesting discussions going on here.  On the noise topic, well, on all of the topics actually, I think it depends on the day.  The other day I had fish on the screen while my buddy was rumaging through the sled, banging propane bottles and making all kinds of racket and I managed a nice little flurry.  Saw no reaction by the fish to all the noise he was making.   Other times, drop something and it's over. 

Barometric pressure, wind, sun, temp, lure size, color, style, presentation all have their day.  The key is finding out when and what matters and dialing in it.  Some of us do it better and more consistently than others.  That's why I love fishing so much, it's always a challenge.  One day I feel I finally have it all figured out and then the next day I get my a$$ handed to me.  But when I'm fishing, I'm not thinking about anything else but fishing.  Always trying to improve on something.  Get home dog tired and can't fall asleep because I'm reliving the day trying to figure out what I did wrong (or occasionally right).

I guess that's the best part of this site is being able to share the passion.  I appreciate Snagger's passion and enjoy and look forward to reading his posts.  But he is not alone on here as many other contibute valuable insights.  Although I do not agree with all that is said, it gets me thinking...maybe I should try this or that.  I have kept fishing/hunting logs for over 20 years and although I may have noted something about the pressure I never paid much attention to it.  I fish when I can.  But now,  I'm recording pressure readings.  Does it matter?  Not sure, but hopefully I will find out.

...and if I had to name the most important factor for success of all them, to me, it would be hands down CONFIDENCE!

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4218 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Trust me fellas that what i think about all week long.

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4219 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:12 PM »
In 2 weeks im planing on making a trip up north to fish onieda for the first time. Anyone Willing to put me in a direction? I have my jigging gear and all just no vex so im kidding going blind. Any tips will be greatly apreceated
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #4220 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:14 PM »
In 2 weeks im planing on making a trip up north to fish onieda for the first time. Anyone Willing to put me in a direction? I have my jigging gear and all just no vex so im kidding going blind. Any tips will be greatly apreceated
One tip would be fine d a graph of SME sorts cause this is the mid season game and without one you are gonna struggle. The only thing would be to follow the crowds just don't impede on there space.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4221 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:16 PM »
I've been fishing Oneida blind all year. It's hit or miss. You need to stay mobile if you want blind success. Fish structure. If fish arnt where you think they should be, try the opposite. I've found them shallow midday before. Ive had more tough days than successful days but it's still fun!

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4222 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:20 PM »
were can i pick up a contor map so i can figure were to start.
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4223 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:23 PM »
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24297.html both sides

I use navionics on my phone.

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4224 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Sweet deal man !  thank you ! :tipup:
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4225 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Another good video Shane!  Keep them coming.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4226 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I was thinking I was doing better with regards to being more consistant on the big O.  Went out Saturday with a buddy off the north shore (GP).  Set up tip ups and jigged in three different spots (20', 24' and 32' FOW).  Very frustrating day.  Two flags on tip ups, both spit the minnow.  Very few marks on my Marcum LX 7.  Seemed like a desert down there.  Oh well, paying my dues.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4227 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:11 PM »
sometimes snag posting is a waste of time , theres always someone that doesn't agree and that's fine everyone is entitled to their Opinion , and a lot of the things I do share are from 30 years on the lake seems to be a waste , so conditions from now on is about it , I'm sure a lot of guys will appreciate that , release out !
[/quot

I'm with you bud, used to offer a ton of valuable info here, got fed up with being called a liar or worse, thus the OLLC was born. Shaner, God bless you my friend, you have more patience than me. I fish the lake 3 days a week, I find my own action, sometimes I'm humbled, more times I'm thrilled! I lurk more than anything else here now, I contribute or chime in from time to time, but when I do it's general chit chat. I've met and fished with some great dudes here, you know who you guys are. ALWAYS a pleasure!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Dhorning

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4228 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Yeah that navionics is a decent tool

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4229 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:23 PM »
That's the whole idea !    Get the tool that will work the best for the job that YOU intend to use it for !     For you, the Lowrance unit works perfect !    For someone looking for their first graph/flasher, they need to find a happy medium that will suit their style of fishing before getting caught up in the all the bells and whistles that they may not need.
  With the LX-7 I'm using now, I really haven't gotten used to the graph mode yet.  Been a flasher guy since the mid 80's on the ice.  The LX-7 pretty much stays in flasher and/or vertical showdown mode.   I'm old and learn slowly !
Ive owned my share of  Vexilars over the past 10+ years, even had a showdown for a very short time- Finally in love with my Lowrance, I dont even think I've switched it into flash mode once, the graph setting is unreal...going to get a a new Elite 5 when Uncle Sam gives me my taxes back, and keep the x67c as my backup  ;D
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.